Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1196129 - 05/09/09 11:30 AM Help! Both my metronomes are broken
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Seems that when I come to an easy passage, both of them slooow way down. However, whenever a approach a rapid, tricky passage they speed way up. cursing

Should I contact the mauufactuters? grin

Reminds me of the "Miracle of thr Thermos Bottle" - it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold - but how does it know!!?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1196131 - 05/09/09 11:34 AM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: Bart Kinlein]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Bart Kinlein
:

Reminds me of the "Miracle of thr Thermos Bottle" - it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold - but how does it know!!?

Try putting two cups of coffee, and an ice-cream in, and you will find out :-)

#1196217 - 05/09/09 02:46 PM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: R0B]
Dr. J Offline

Loc: Oregon
I don't know how many times I've wanted to throw my metronomes in the ocean or at least out the window. They can be mean but necessary little objects in our quest to become better pianists.

Keep working - eventually those metronomes will get in sync with your playing.

Dr. J

Dr. Js blog http://playpianotodaywithdrj.wordpress.com/

#1196256 - 05/09/09 04:14 PM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: Dr. J]
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Try putting two cups of coffee, and an ice-cream in, and you will find out :-)

With the proper ice cream, it sounds delicious. wow

#1196290 - 05/09/09 05:21 PM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: Bart Kinlein]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Seems that when I come to an easy passage, both of them slooow way down. However, whenever a approach a rapid, tricky passage they speed way up. cursing

Those metronomes can be really pesky smile At least you're the only one playing. You should hear it when it starts getting out of sync with our whole band frown Pandemonium. I once finished two measures ahead of a fiddler laugh

After they've been worn in for awhile though, they settle down -

Cathy

#1196666 - 05/10/09 11:47 AM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: jotur]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: jotur

After they've been worn in for awhile though, they settle down -

Cathy

grin

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1198617 - 05/13/09 04:13 PM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: Bart Kinlein]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA

OMG! I remember that commercial. Thanks for making me laugh!

#1199527 - 05/15/09 12:56 AM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: Kymber]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I don't think your metronomes are broken. It's your time that's broken particularly if you find they're slowing down when the music is easy.

Try these tips and see how they work for you.

1) Set the metronome much slower than you normally play the piece. Play with the metronome and COUNT OUT LOUD the beats.

This will force you to stay with the metronome. Keep slowing down the metronome and your playing until the two match. This might mean a really slow tempo, but it pays off on the end.

If you're still having problems, you can try another two things:

2) Subdivide the measures so that the metronome is playing with each eigth note and you're counting these as quarters.

This will force you to play evenly and slowly. Again count out loud with the beats. By this time, your family will think you're crazy if they hang around you while you practice, but in the end they'll be thankful when your time is accurate.

3) Set a pulsed beat if you can. Some metronomes have a Ding-sound or bell for the first beat of each measure.

When you play along with the metronome, aim to keep the accented beat on the first beat of each measure. If you can't, you're playing still too fast and you need to slow down until the two of you can work together nicely.

When I first got a metronome, I couldn't play along with it at all. Eventually everything clicked into play, and now it's my best piano practicing friend I have.

#1199550 - 05/15/09 02:00 AM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: John Citron]
The Teacher Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Throw your metronomes away! I used to teach guitar at a Dallas music store that sold pianos and organs as well as guitars and such. This was before I began teaching piano. There was a piano sales lady who didn't know I played piano, but she came to me and said, "Can you teach me how to play piano?"

I had heard her play and she played beautifully, so I asked, "What do you mean? You play beautifully."

She replied, "Well, I play on these electronic organs all day every day and they all have the drums or metronome built in. But when I get home to my baby grand, with no metronome, I can't keep a beat."

Let me repeat that. She said, "I CAN'T KEEP A BEAT!"

She had become so dependent on the electronic beat keepers that she could not play without one. So THROW YOUR METRONOMES AWAY!!!!

#1199663 - 05/15/09 09:14 AM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: The Teacher]
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: The Teacher
"I play on these electronic organs all day every day and they all have ... metronome built in. When I get home to my baby grand with no metronome I can't keep a beat."

She had become so dependent on the electronic beat keepers that she could not play without one. So THROW YOUR METRONOMES AWAY!!!!
Just because one person has suffered from using a metronome doesn't mean the rest of us will.

#1199830 - 05/15/09 12:33 PM Re: Help! Both my metronomes are broken [Re: Horwinkle]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Horwinkle
Originally Posted By: The Teacher
"I play on these electronic organs all day every day and they all have ... metronome built in. When I get home to my baby grand with no metronome I can't keep a beat."

Just because one person has suffered from using a metronome doesn't mean the rest of us will.

I agree. The metronome is an aid to playing accurately and shouldn't be used to play along with all the time. Overall my time is pretty steady. I've proven this to myself when I though I was way off by playing chamber music. When I play along with other people, whether it's in a duet or in an ensemble, I seem to keep up with the other people and they seem to follow along with me without problems.

The biggest help in internalizing time-based movements is to count them out loud. By doing this the body begins to feel the time, and the feeling will eventually become second nature. Even today, when I have a problem with the rhythm or time in a section, I will count out load, subdivide, clap, or even walk the time so I can feel it. Once the time has become internalized, I have no problems afterwards.

John

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
09/15/14 12:12 AM
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
09/14/14 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
09/14/14 10:09 PM
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
09/14/14 09:36 PM
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
09/14/14 08:56 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (andriy555, anotherscott, AmateurBob, aesop, 34 invisible), 1202 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157523 Topics
2313850 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission