2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1196718 05/10/09 01:22 PM
OP Offline
any info on this? the only thing i know is that Debussy composed it as part of the Children's Corner. yeah that's about it. he's impressionist, but i don't know what impression this piece is supposed to evoke. i get the feeling of being at the shore when i hear this piece. i'm currently learning it.

Last edited by baaaad_kitty; 05/10/09 01:28 PM.
There's a little information on Wikipedia. It's not much, but it's a start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Corner

Kawai K-3 (2008)
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
One source says that "Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum" is Debussy's clever parody on piano exercises, exemplified in Clementi's series of technical studies called "Gradus ad Parnassum".

However, the eminent Debussy scholar Paul Roberts says the following : [1]

"The opening piece of Children's Corner is by turns joyful, tender, poignant, and humorous - a compendium of the varying moods of the whole suite. It is often claimed that the piece is a parody of a Clementi study. Parody is the wrong word. Clementi is not made fun of in the way Wagner is in "Golliwogg's Cake-walk." Certainly the title is taken from Clementi's famous collection of one hundred keyboard studies of 1807, Gradus ad Parnassum, but the allusion is both ironic and respectful (underlined by the addition of the word "Doctor," implying Clementi himself). As befits the nature of Children's Corner, the suite begins by alluding to the surface Englishness of the whole. Clementi, though Italian by birth, emigrated to England, where he not only laid the foundations of English (and subsequently European) piano technique but was closely involved in early piano construction. The title of his keyboard studies - meaning literally "Steps to Mount Parnassus," the abode of the muses - suggests a step-by-step approach which will take the novice pianist towards the fountainhead of art.
So Debussy's imaginary nursery [Children's Corner] has its daily pianistic exercises. The irony comes from the way in which the over-weighty Latin title conceals such a delighftully playful and graceful musical spirit. Debussy often took shelter behind a mask of irony, as in these remarks to his publisher Durand, who had asked him about the tempo:
'"Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum" is a kind of progressive, hygienic, gymnastics. It should be played every morning on an empty stomach, beginning moderato and ending up animé. I hope you will be impressed by the clarity of my explanation.'
Commentators have been too ready to take such remarks at face value. To find in this masterful piano étude "a child's typically bored manner of ploughing through exercises" (as Lockspeiser does) is to turn it on its head; to play "Doctor Gradus" in any sense mechanically is to destroy its musical character, in the same way it would be to destroy an étude by Chopin."

[1] Roberts, Paul. Images. The Piano Music of Claude Debussy. Amadeus Press, Portland, OR, 1996. (pp. 207-208).

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Bruce D, for that information.

I consider you the *shining star* of Piano World. Your scholarship is usually about 97.25 per cent correct. wink

Do you own that book by Paul Roberts, or did you find the information online? It sounds like a book we should all own.

best wishes,
Valerie

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Tenuto :

I own Paul Robert's book. One doesn't haveto agree with everything he says, but his scholarship is well-respected and his views are always of interest from a performing pianist's point of view.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Good info indeed, Bruce. I think I may grab that book.

B
B
check out the video featuring alfred cortot on the piano, on youtube.

It's an early "MTV" which a made up story is told with the music (doc gradus) as a backrgound.

should give you a good general idea about what the music's about.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission