2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I want to clean and brighten the hidden portion of my Upright Piano's keys. (They are FILTHY) PLEASE someone give me some ideas that don't include water or damage-causing solvents.

Tuner/Technician, Associate Member PTG, Certified Installer Piano Life Saver Systems
T
tds Offline
T
You can have them sandblasted.

Stay tuned.

Tom Seay, Recovering Piano Technician
Bastrop, Texas
S
S
I use a hand drywall sander with a medium screen. Three or four passes usually takes the grunge away.

Last edited by Steven Bolstridge; 05/10/09 08:11 PM.

piano tuner/technician
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Sand blast with glass beads or walnut husks and keep the beads clean - experiment with the grade and pressure and you will get great results and avoid the orange-peal look.
As for solvents I have used naptha with reasonable results - it will not make them look new like sandblasting but the improvement is acceptable and time spent is minimal. The naptha does not damage anything but you should do it outside and or use an organic vapor mask with gloves.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
J
OP Offline
J
Steven, this sounds like a workable solution for me. When you say medium screen, would you explain? Are you speaking of a medium sandpaper grit? Sorry to be so dumb, but I need your help.
Thanks for your input,
J. Michael Wilson

Tuner/Technician, Associate Member PTG, Certified Installer Piano Life Saver Systems
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Gene, for your help. I may look into the napha angle. I'm just trying to get an old 1910 Cable Nelson upright to look as good as possible. THe old piano holds tune really good so I am going to refinish the cabinet and clean it up as a training project!
Have a great day,
J. Michael Wilson

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Steel wool will also work with good results and is less aggressive than blast media or machines. Its a bit more physical as to your effort but cleans surprisingly well.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree Emmery. A nice piece of sand paper or steel wool works wonders. A friend of mine used to put a fine grade of sand paper onto his sanding machine and gently run the side of the keys down it once or twice. Clean er right up. But, he has to be careful not to hit the plastic or ivory or it can easily leave a brown burn mark... cursing

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If its real grungy I will run a razor blade over it to scrape it off first. Rougher grades of sand paper and blast media will open the grain of the wood up a bit or leave a bit of "fur" sometimes and I like the real smooth look that steel wool leaves.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Too much on the ivory, and you will have to knock off the sharp edge. Nothing worse for a piano player than sharp key edges.

J
OP Offline
J
You guys are very helpful! I have one of the little Mouse electric sanders with some fine sandpaper that I may try. All I want to do is try to brighten up the wood a little and not change the overall depth or width of the key. Have a great day!
J. Michael Wilson

J
J
I'm with emmery
I have found that scraping with a sharp plane iron gives the best 'new wood' look, and doesn't round edges. It also means you can get right up the key covering without touching it.
Then I rub with wire whool to remove any fur.

I don't like the sound of sand blasting as you could easily contaminate bushings, although I must stress I havn't tried that.

S
S
Originally Posted by JMichaelWilson
Steven, this sounds like a workable solution for me. When you say medium screen, would you explain? Are you speaking of a medium sandpaper grit? Sorry to be so dumb, but I need your help.
Thanks for your input,
J. Michael Wilson

Yeah, 220 grit black wet dry works well, it just tears easier than the screen. Really any flat sanding block is good. Make sure it's not flexible though, like the sanding sponges or some others, or you will end up with some curvature. You want nice flat sides. I usually sand until I get the tops and fronts nice and white. It doesn't take much, so take it easy

Last edited by Steven Bolstridge; 05/11/09 10:50 PM.

piano tuner/technician
S
S
Originally Posted by Bob
Too much on the ivory, and you will have to knock off the sharp edge. Nothing worse for a piano player than sharp key edges.

I agree, so go slowly. You won't make them new, just cleaner than they were.

piano tuner/technician
J
OP Offline
J
There was 99 years worth of dirt in those old keys. It was a dusty mess. But the job is done and the keys are now ready to go back into the piano. I have had to replace several key fronts and two key tops plus I've got a couple of sharps to replace, but all in all things are going along as planned. I can't wait to refinish the old piano case. It will be beautiful. Thanks for all of your posts. They have been very helpful. I'm sure before this project is finished I will have asked you all for more help.
Thanks again,
J. Michael Wilson

J
OP Offline
J
If I needed to repaint the inside of the key bed (underneath the key frame)what kind of paint would you recommend? This may not be an option but it really looks nasty in there. I have cleaned out, vacuumed it out, used a toothbrush on it and now it just needs a fresh coat of paint, but I don't want to jeopardize the piano in any way.
J. Michael Wilson

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission