Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
116 registered (ABC Vermonter, AndyP, Alux, ando, 36251, 28 invisible), 1451 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1198746 - 05/13/09 08:54 PM Nick Cave's Style
GreenEyes Offline

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, so here is some background info first: I have been playing piano for about a year now, self-taught, although I had a classical lessons years before that I hated, but which taught me to read music etc. I can play several Nick Cave songs either from sheet music, or from chords (working out the melody by listening to the song and knowing what key it is in).

I am hoping that somebody on the forums who knows Nick Cave's music, especially the way he plays in the Boatman's Call album, will be able to help me out, because I want to be able to play the way Nick Cave plays in The Boatman's Call (or No More Shall We Part and Nocturama). I know that hymns, gospel and the blues influenced a lot of his songs in that album, so I have been studying from hymn and gospel books, but I'm wondering if I should be taking a course - something like Duane Shinn, or Rocket Piano, or Piano Magic, to help me reach Nick's level of playing in that album? If so, which course do you recommend? Or, better yet, are there any techniques that I should add to my piano-playing toolbox, which would give me the Nick Cave sound? For example, left hand fills or right hand patterns for chord progressions that he favours in his playing, which give his playing the unique sound that it has?

Thanks. :-)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1198756 - 05/13/09 09:16 PM Re: Nick Cave's Style [Re: GreenEyes]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, GreenEyes! smile I don't know which course to recommend for you, but I just want to say that I *love* Nick Cave (I even have a "Nick Cave" playlist on iTunes that I created). For piano, I particularly love his soundtrack for "The Assassination of Jesse James..", especially "Song for Bob" and "What must be done." I have googled all over for the sheet music for those pieces, to no avail. frown

I'm thinking your best bet to learn the Nick Cave sound is to listen to his albums over and over again and try to pick it out by ear... to that end, maybe Piano Magic would be a good start, although Piano Magic is going to recommend you starting out (a) in the key of C, and (b) doing exercises on simple melodies to begin with.

....hmmm... maybe the BEST way to get to that style would be to find a teacher, or professional musician, who would be willing to coach you in it. Finding such a person could take a while, though.

#1198781 - 05/13/09 09:50 PM Re: Nick Cave's Style [Re: Monica K.]
GreenEyes Offline

Hi Monica K.,

Thanks for replying. I love the Jessie James soundtrack, too, and The Rider song from The Proposition film is also beautiful. Regarding "What Must Be Done", I'm pretty sure that the chords are: Cm, Eb, Bb, Fm. If you play them all through first slowly as right-hand 3rd and 5th together followed by root note, you'll definitely hear What Must Be Done. The melody is in the chords. (I'm still working it out, but I've got something that sounds very close. I haven't written it down yet, though.) Let me know if this helps. :-)

I have bee doing what you've recommended - listening over and over again. The bits that I can't work out by using this method are the little runs and fills that he throws in. I'm starting to think that finding a real teacher who likes Nick Cave might be the way to go... (I'll probably have to go through all the music teacher listings in the Yellow Pages to find one teacher who will live three hours away.)

Edited by GreenEyes (05/13/09 09:59 PM)

#1202107 - 05/19/09 11:53 AM Re: Nick Cave's Style [Re: GreenEyes]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
If I had an improvising bone in my body, your post would help me a great deal! grin Alas, I am virtually incapable of playing by ear, which is frustrating on a piece like "What must be done" where I know I'd be able to play it if I had the sheet music for it.

If you end up writing a transcription for it, shoot me a PM. I'd gladly buy a copy from you. smile

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
22 minutes 34 seconds ago
Getting better
by Kekewak
Today at 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
Today at 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
Today at 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Today at 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77390 Members
42 Forums
160047 Topics
2350307 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission