Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1195845 - 05/08/09 07:31 PM How to demonstrate perfect physicality
Steve B Offline

Loc: Canada
If anyone's had the same problem I've had with getting students to "relax," check out this video of Valentina Lisitsa playing La Campanella.

My first thought was "her hands must be huge!" The pedal tones and octave leaps in the first section have me shooting my hand frantically up and down the keyboard, but she seems to grip them all in one hand! The fact is, what she's showing here is perfect flexibility through a relaxed mechanism.

Also, the lighting of this particular concert is great, because you can see the exact interplay between her upper back, shoulder, upper arm, forearm, wrist and hand through the entire performance. The shading is just right to watch each muscle group as it functions in drawing out an incredible amount of tone with a subtle amount of actual effort...a terrific demonstration you should definitely get your advanced students to study carefully!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1196327 - 05/09/09 06:43 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: Steve B]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Steve,

I don't think watching her will help students at all. But I agree that people who already play very well should pay attention.

She reminds me of Agerich and a few more female "marvels" I've seen. Women, because they do not have as much physical strength (in general), have to do everything right to acheive such power, among other things.

Men are more likely to try to "muscle it through" and often succeed in younger years but cannot sustain it later in life.

#1196372 - 05/09/09 08:23 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: Gary D.]
Steve B Offline

I'm particularly thinking of advanced students. I was lucky enough to study at a university that often had master classes with people like Andre LaPlante, Marc-Andre Hamelin and Jamie Parker, so seeing this stuff first-hand was definitely valuable as a senior player.

No, I don't think an 8 year old would find this useful smile And you're right, female players seem to have a clearer delivery of this kind of execution...I remember seeing Naida Cole in concert; a little waif of a thing, just 19 years old (and she had the flu at the time!), playing the Grieg Concerto. She broke a string on the Steinway in that performance. Brilliant!

#1196494 - 05/10/09 01:48 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: Steve B]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Sit up and take notice you hold-a-ballers! (not so sure about her shoulders though)

#1196506 - 05/10/09 02:09 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I also thought her shoulders were tight, most likely not enough to cause serious physical problems, but certainly not the best for posture and spine!

Marc-Andre Hamelin is so incredibly talented physically that I can't tell much of anything by watching him. But what I like the most from watching him is how well he plays, using music and a page-turner. I would use him as a first-class example of how ridiculous the idea is that music can't be performed with great polish without playing it from memory. smile

#1196508 - 05/10/09 02:14 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: Gary D.]
keyboardklutz Offline

It's always worth remembering that what a performer does on the platform may not necessarily bear a lot comparison to their daily 'workouts'. Another reason for not taking videos as gospel.

#1196510 - 05/10/09 02:24 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

But I do think that we can take videos of performances as accurate representations of what said performers think is necessary to be effective in public, and to me that says something important: watch what people do before you listen to what they SAY they do.

#1196512 - 05/10/09 02:29 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: Gary D.]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
watch what people do before you listen to what they SAY they do.
I'd have to say yes and no depending on your own state of knowledge and what you're looking for. But if you watch anything it needs to be where they are 100% in control i.e. in their own studios.

#1196518 - 05/10/09 02:42 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Speaking of this piece...I must have heard it played a dozen times at local competitions this year. Why are kids as young as 10 years old playiing this??? This piece is so beyond them...technically and musically.

It's nice to hear a professional playing this piece so effortlessly. And with such beauty.

#1196542 - 05/10/09 04:46 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: AZNpiano]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
I don't think that you can demonstrate "perfect physicality." No more than you can demonstrate perfect musicality.

You can't show a video of, say, Horowitz playing and then say "now play like this" or "strive to play like this". Neither can you say, "now hold your hands like this", or "relax your musculature like this". Not to a child beginner, nor to an adult.

These things come from inside. It is up to the teacher to help a student find himself, his physical self, as well as his artistic or musical self. Even with a child student, the problem of a teacher is always to have him look inside himself and discover what is possible and also the difficulties that he has to affront.

The problem of relaxation, of position, is exactly there, it is never a question of sitting like that or like this, or holding or moving the hands in such or such a manner. It is a problem to become conscious of one's body, of one's musculature, one's weigth, one's tension. This demands a certain maturity of a child student, no doubt. But heck, isn't that what studying music is about?

The teaching of music is a human link. In my opinion the use of videos is in general not a positive thing for it turns everybody away from the essential: the teacher and the student.

#1196546 - 05/10/09 04:55 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: landorrano]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: landorrano
Even with a child student, the problem of a teacher is always to have him look inside himself and discover what is possible and also the difficulties that he has to affront.

...This demands a certain maturity of a child student, no doubt. But heck, isn't that what studying music is about?

...The teaching of music is a human link. In my opinion the use of videos is in general not a positive thing for it turns everybody away from the essential: the teacher and the student.
And that is the problem with young children - their bodies are so new they often just want to play with them rather than 'look inside' to operate them effectively.

You must have missed my 'Some folks think they can learn something from Youtube' thread! http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/577652/1.html

#1196551 - 05/10/09 05:08 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yeah, I didn't see that. I'll have a look later on.

However, I don't think that is a problem specifically with young children, more than anyone else. How many adults are running around, trying to find a yoga master to teach them to relax so that they can go to the bathroom everyday?

In my experience, in the teacher-childstudent relationship, the difficulty is above all the teacher and the parents, who want the kids to "play piano".

#1196553 - 05/10/09 05:14 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: landorrano]
keyboardklutz Offline

Yoga! You've hit on my bet noir! I do yoga at home so I can concentrate on balance and proprioception in my own time. How many go to classes to be told what to do?

#1196603 - 05/10/09 09:02 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Yes, Lisitsa does have large strong hands. A couple of us compared them in person. I realize that stretch is not the same as hand size, but here is a pic of my hand next to Valentina's.

Each finger was slighty longer, the 4th and 5th being even more so. Not seen in the pic was that her thumb was also noticably longer.

I reach a ninth fairly comfortably.

Here playing with her husband.

And yes, she plays very relaxed! wow

The keyboard is an extension of her.

#1196724 - 05/10/09 01:30 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Yoga! You've hit on my bet noir! I do yoga at home so I can concentrate on balance and proprioception in my own time. How many go to classes to be told what to do?

That's bĂȘte noire.

#1196726 - 05/10/09 01:34 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz

proprioception, is that like constipation?

#1196749 - 05/10/09 02:15 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: landorrano]
keyboardklutz Offline

That's bĂȘte noire.
There ya go, ya learn something every day!

#1196755 - 05/10/09 02:22 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: landorrano]
keyboardklutz Offline

proprioception, is that like constipation?
For some.

#1196790 - 05/10/09 03:38 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: keyboardklutz]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think that if you came across Horowitz and you said, "I've been watching your video from Carnegie Hall 1968, I've really learned a lot about that piece", "I've been trying to play like that" or "it's helped me a lot", or "I've been studying your hand position" ...

... He'd either

a) laugh, and say, God, I really was out of form that night ! What an embarassement that everybody is watching that on YouTube, I don't know how they can think that that is music!
or
b) laugh, and say why you silly fool, you want to learn how to play bad, then just watch and try to do as I do. You want to play as well as possible, listen to me and enjoy yourself, and then go home and forget me. Listen to yourself. Listen to your teacher. Listen to your composer. Just forget Horowitz.
or
c) ball you out, and say get out of my way, I don't have time for this nonsense.

If you managed to get on his good side and he invited you to his apartment for a lesson he'd tell you and show you things, none of which you had imagined he might say.

Edited by landorrano (05/10/09 03:41 PM)

#1198403 - 05/13/09 10:05 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: landorrano]
Steve B Offline

Excellent discussion! Of course, what I'm really getting at is I've often had trouble explaining "relax" to even my senior students, so a good visual demonstration is a extremely valuable aid to this process.

My biggest peeve is when teachers allow young students to tackle repertoire intended for the highest level of virtuoso. I have a dozen recordings of La Campanella (including Horowitz), and this performance by Valentina is a curiousity in that it is both one of the most flamboyantly virtuosic and one of the most aesthetically pleasing performances I've ever heard.

I have a single flaw that prevents this work from being easily within my grasp: on both hands my 5th finger just reaches the lower edge of the distal joint on my 4th finger. With flexibility I can grab a minor 10th (to a black key), but need to force the stretch to hit a major 10th (C to E, for example). So works with the 4-5 trill or auxilliary above an octave become physically quite taxing (this, and the Scherzo's Coda from Brahms' F# Minor Sonata, for example).

To see an artist who gives away nothing in his physical approach to the instrument, check out Anton Kuerti. Monster technique that is so effortless it's scary.

#1198434 - 05/13/09 11:03 AM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: Steve B]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve B
Excellent discussion! Of course, what I'm really getting at is I've often had trouble explaining "relax" to even my senior students, so a good visual demonstration is a extremely valuable aid to this process.

Steve B

I am happy to hear that you undertake to adresse this problem with your students. I have been continually dissapointed at the teachers who have their little students banging away at the piano, tied up like knots, and they don't take the time to work on this problem, which is not, of course, resolved with a couple of words in passing.

To me it is a proof that you are a good teacher, something that is apparent in the general tone of your posts. I'm sure that all of your students gain a real insight, and that many are motivated by you.

This said, I don't believe that this video is "an extremely valuable aid" for you. I think that you are giving false credit to Madame Valentina. You can take the credit yourself, even if you aren't one ten-thousandth the pianist that she is.

#1200440 - 05/16/09 01:46 PM Re: How to demonstrate perfect physicality [Re: landorrano]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I saw Valentina in concert recently, in a very small hall. Man, did she tear that stage up. Her posture when playing is unique in my experience; she almost crouches into the keyboard. She gets a tone all right. Don't let the evening gown (with a train!) fool you, hers is a very athletic keyboard performance. Yet I'm not so sure that it would be right for students to emulate--- it might put some of us in a wheelchair within a few years.

I have a sense there's more than meets the eye (or Handi-Cam) in this. Since someone mentioned yoga, I can say that movements which appear identical to the observer's eye, can be completely different based on the inner posture, movement of energy, and breath. One can be beneficial, the other quite destructive. The difference is, the right instruction from someone who really knows. Reading a book, seeing a video, or watching from a concert hall seat is not the way to get there.

But with that precaution, we definitely all can learn from someone like her. It was not only a technical and athletic marvel in its way, but a very musical and satisfying artistic performance as well. Four encores. Even she was wearing out after the last one.

Nothing can take the place, for a student, of seeing live performance by such brilliant talents.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1381 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153566 Topics
2250607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
21 minutes 18 seconds ago
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
43 minutes 37 seconds ago
Piano Science
by venice1
Today at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Today at 09:08 PM
the conclusion on weighted keys and developing technique
by B.Petrovic
Today at 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission