Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
82 registered (AZNpiano, beet31425, Alan Cyr, Anne H, AnimistFvR, 26 invisible), 1182 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1201623 - 05/18/09 04:39 PM When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions?
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
I am thinking of starting learning them. My choir director said highschool, my assistant choir director said 7th grade.

When (in school grades or years of piano instruction) did you start learning Bach's Inventions?

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1201627 - 05/18/09 04:44 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: survivordan]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
In France, to get accepted into the conservatory a kid has to be able to play them at 10 years old.

#1201640 - 05/18/09 05:14 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: landorrano]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Many years ago I started the first after about 4 months of lessons. (I was 14 and had already taught myself how to read music before I started lessons.)

#1201654 - 05/18/09 06:07 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: DameMyra]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I would not worry about the age you start them. There is always going to be someone younger or what not who did it. I was about 16-17 when I started on them. Though I started classical music pretty late.

#1201663 - 05/18/09 06:25 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: jdhampton924]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bach is actually Baroque, but whatever LOl.......

Next Up:

#1201730 - 05/18/09 08:04 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: survivordan]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i started learning a Bach invention around the 2nd year of learning to play. Bach inventions look easy but are actually pretty hard to any beginners.

Edited by signa (05/18/09 08:05 PM)

#1201768 - 05/18/09 09:17 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: survivordan]
Deux Arabesques Offline

Originally Posted By: survivordan

Because he did not capitalize "classical," we can deduce that he was talking about western art music, which J.S. Bach indeed falls under. So, yes, Bach's music is "classical".

Get a life.

#1201891 - 05/19/09 01:32 AM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Deux Arabesques]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I recall that I started the Two Part Inventions in 8th grade - after about 4 years of lessons. Never learned the entire set. but I still warm up with Invention No. 8.

#1201907 - 05/19/09 02:39 AM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: carey]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The teacher I had for the first 8 years or so wasn't so good (although she meant well, bless her heart). I didn't get the 2-part inventions, but for some reason she loved one of the toccatas and had me work on it. She also had me playing Beethoven sonatas and Chopin etudes without being remotely prepared for them.

Then I switched to a somewhat better teacher who stopped all that nonsense (what a shock!) and gave me 2-part inventions, which I couldn't play very well because I didn't have the technical basis for them. It was very frustrating. It just didn't make sense to me that what seems like such dinky little pieces could be so hard. Plus, the music itself didn't interest me very much. I guess I was around 14 or 15.

Now, around forty years later, I enjoy playing them a lot, and have in the last few years been working on technique enough so that I actually can play some of the ones that I had such trouble with as a teenager reasonably well, at long last.

Edited by wr (05/19/09 02:40 AM)

#1202053 - 05/19/09 10:19 AM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: wr]
ahvat Offline

I got it a year after. I was really suprised, I really love invention 8 and I thought it was too soon. I will work really hard in music, the invention is really tough.

#1202256 - 05/19/09 03:41 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: ahvat]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
I was 16 or 17 years at the time, and I was "self-taught" so it was only a couple months after I started with my first real teacher.

Daniel

#1202284 - 05/19/09 04:23 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Deux Arabesques]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Deux Arabesques

Because he did not capitalize "classical," we can deduce that he was talking about western art music, which J.S. Bach indeed falls under. So, yes, Bach's music is "classical".

Get a life.

That was quite rude.

Next Up:

#1202295 - 05/19/09 04:56 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: survivordan]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA

Get a life.

That was quite rude.

You should check out some of his other 20 posts and see what's been directed at me. frown

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1202300 - 05/19/09 05:13 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: sotto voce]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
No. 8 was the first piece I ever studied outside my lesson books at 2 years in to study. I was 11 (in 6th grade), and my keyboard had that piece as a prerecorded performance. I also studied No. 1 and No. 15 soon after. Some day I should probably go back and learn some other ones. There's so much wonderful literature and so little time in each day!

#1202370 - 05/19/09 07:36 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: survivordan]
Deux Arabesques Offline

Get a life.

That was quite rude.

No, it's rude to not thank someone for giving an answer to your question, instead trying to make some pithy correction that ultimately isn't even correct.

#1202384 - 05/19/09 07:59 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Deux Arabesques]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Words fail me...

#1202388 - 05/19/09 08:05 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Horowitzian]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Words fail me...

Well that's why you have music right? Alternative forms of expression. laugh Choose your instrument wisely!

#1202422 - 05/19/09 08:53 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Ridicolosamente]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Words fail me...

Well that's why you have music right? Alternative forms of expression. laugh Choose your instrument wisely!

Indeed.

grin

#1202433 - 05/19/09 09:21 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Deux Arabesques]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

[/quote]

some pithy correction that ultimately isn't even correct. [/quote]

How J.S. Bach isn't Baroque, I don't know.

Next Up:

#1202738 - 05/20/09 11:38 AM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: survivordan]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Started with No. 4 and No. 1 in high school, age 16... and that was a good long few years ago. Still working on them. Yes, they look easy to read, but are not so easy to play. My piano tech made the same comment about the Beethoven Sonatas.

"Classical" is a somewhat elastic idea to many people. Yes, J.S. Bach represents the pinnacle of the High Baroque, though he kind of bridges over periods, and in a way transcends them, too.

Is it really worth a fuss? Any chance he would care at all?

#1202747 - 05/20/09 11:51 AM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Jeff Clef]
Robin Spielberg Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I started these in 6th grade, so I must have been 12 at the time. I think it all depends on the dexterity of the student. I loved the structure of the Inventions and they were a nice break from the Clementi exercises.
Robin

#1202829 - 05/20/09 02:25 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Robin Spielberg]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Well... to correct myself before I get in trouble: in his Introduction to the anthology of works from the Baroque Period, Denis Agay remarks that the works of the sons of J.S. Bach might be placed either in the classical or the baroque periods. Not quite the same thing as placing the father there.

#1204882 - 05/23/09 10:08 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: ahvat]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Here a few of the two part inventions appear on Level 7, though most are Level 8 (there are 12 levels here for piano). I love the number 4 in D minor, and have learned most of it.

Meri

#1204898 - 05/23/09 10:58 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: musiclady]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: musiclady
Here a few of the two part inventions appear on Level 7, though most are Level 8 (there are 12 levels here for piano). I love the number 4 in D minor, and have learned most of it.

Meri

Invention in F No.8 is in a grade five level book that I have, go figure. I learned 3 of these in high school and played 2 of them for college auditions, as this was a minimal requirement back in the day. I understand now you have to play WTC. Inventions are wonderful exercises, once you learn them they are in your hands forever.

#1205530 - 05/25/09 02:46 PM Re: When di you learn Bach's 2-Part Inventions? [Re: Barb860]
CoffeeLover Offline

Loc: LA, CA
I agree with you, Barb860.
Wonderful exercises yet composed beautifully.
I recently discovered that I can play Mozart sonata No 8 (I have been working on it for a while) much better, seems I have overcome some technical difficulties after learning some Bach Inventions. Feels like I am killing two birds!!(I know. What a horrible English expression!)
I am determined to learn all Inventions and then start on Sinfonias.
I am done with about two thirds of Inventions now.

Oh, to anwer the original question, I think I started learning Inventions millions years ago when I was about 8 or so. My teachers' routine then was Hanon-Bach-and some sonatas mostly by Mozart. I quit lessons after about 10 years (on and off).
Surprisingly, some Bach Inventions like No 8, 1 and 3 were still in my brain and fingers, so didn't take long to relearn at all.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
11/26/14 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159358 Topics
2340914 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission