2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
akonow Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
In measures 26, 28, 30, and 31, I find those arpeggiated ornamentations quite difficult to play effectively. I can play them relatively quickly with good precision but I have a bit of difficulty at getting these up to the speed of the recordings to which I'm listening. From what I've seen on YouTube, it seems like a kind of flick of the wrist almost and the fingers seem to just wave over the keys. Is this a matter of just practicing it over and over again or is there some other technique required to execute these little devil notes?

Here are the visuals in case you don't feel like getting out the score:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As always, I appreciate any minutia of help.

Last edited by akonow; 05/15/09 01:29 AM.

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I'm working on this Polonaise right now. I must say that I haven't found those arpeggiated figures particularly difficult. What I have done with them in practice is to decide exactly when they begin and where the RH is going to fit in with the LH. What I have in one of my scores more or less corresponds with what you are showing in the above edition.
On the first arpeggio:
- the fourth RH note (E) coincides with the LH low G-sharp
On the second arpeggio :
- the fifth RH note (A) coincides with the LH low G-sharp
On the third and fourth arpeggios :
- the fifth RH note (A-sharp) coincides with the LH low G-sharp.

While practicing, I have been breaking each arpeggio into two sections, playing slowly and stopping where the RH and LH come together. As I gradually increase the tempo, I decrease the pause between the two sections of the arpeggio and eventually (I hope) the whole will flow smoothly.

I have both the Peters and the Novello editions and there are some niggling little differences between the two. My teacher is going to bring her Henle to the next lesson, and I hope we'll sort out some of these discrepancies between the two editions. I may even buy the Henle or the Paderewski.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Something else you might want to try is working on the arpeggio figures from the last note to the first.

Start by playing the last two notes of the arpeggio; then the last three; then the last four, etc., etc. until you have the arpeggio figures completed. Do each group of notes several times, very evenly, but always "aiming" for the last note and accenting it, as marked in the score.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Chopin 26-1 Polonaise in C# minor ... m26 and 28 arpeggiated "wipes".

Any confusion over these segments is largely due to the notation ... we have inherited an antiquated format which illogically spreads notes of SHORT duration to take up MOST SPACE ... each of the 7 or 8 note gets lumbered with 3 flags (demisemiquavers/32nd notes) and takes up the space of HALF the measures ... the spread is even greater to m31 and 32 where the 10 note "wipe" must be played in less time than it takes to catch a bar fly.

However, my brood gets a MIDI birds-eye view of the "wipes" to give snap perspective in relating to the overall composition, which is very basic ... clearly the racy "wipes" need good fingering and extensive practice to gain muscle memory so as to switch to RH auto-pilot.

Hoping the diagram puts the "wipes" in context.
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by btb
[...]where the 10 note "wipe" must be played in less time than it takes to catch a bar fly.

Marmalade might do it!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Chopin 62-1 Polonaise ... and nobody came to the party ...
perhaps it’s because of being one of the less interesting peaks in the Everest group.

So far we’ve only got OP okonow and BruceD mucking around at the base camp ... apparently drawn by the comparatively easy-going foothills ... but once having been nipped by the icy blast of the arpeggiated "wipes" to m26 and m28 ... might well have reconsidered the venture.

But what else has given the chappies cold feet? Could it be:

1. The arctic storms ... key signatures changing from minor 4# to 5b to 6b (sight-reading gloom)
2. The lonesome road ... 12 pages of uphill
3. The craggy structure ... some of the most complicated Chopin notation
4. Two steps up/one back ... all those repeats

Maybe it’s a case of gaining standing by association ... without having stubbed a toe.

PS Marmalade is great on toast with a cuppa ... tirribly English, don’t you know.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Though I am almost always up for discussion of Chopin, I didn't have anything to add to this one (especially after Bruce's typically appropriate advice). But a statement like "nobody came to the party" is guilt inducing to one who is all too familiar with initiating discussions that attract neither much interest nor participation!

I don't know how to interpret "gaining standing by association ... without having stubbed a toe," but I've suspected that conspicuous absence of contributions by some of the forum's esteemed, erudite and otherwise-happy-to-help heavy-hitters has to do loss of standing by association with the stigma of the socially unstylish.

Sorry for the cynicism, but politics makes the world go round—even the Piano World—and sometimes the political becomes personal. FWIW, the references to bar flies and something as easily spread as marmalade gave me a terrific idea for a joke entirely unsuitable to a family-oriented forum, but, like malformed marmalade, it didn't quite gel. smile

Steven

akonow Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I'll be sure to give this polonaise more of my attention now.

Originally Posted by btb
The arctic storms ... key signatures changing from minor 4# to 5b to 6b (sight-reading gloom)

I'd rather read D-flat major than C-sharp major though. C-sharp minor and D-flat major are relatively simple to read I found. Now, I haven't really practiced very much of the trio but I've run into no difficulties with what I have sight-read. smile

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have no idea what btb's "poetic" verbiage means: "mucking around at base camp" ... "icy blasts" ... "arctic storms" ... "lonesome road" ... "stubb[ing] a toe, "etc., somewhat ad infinitum. If he wrote in less flowery, more direct, English perhaps we could have a dialogue about a lovely work of Chopin's.

The OP asked questions about specific measures and I did what I thought might be helpful in response to those questions. As for "reconsidering the venture" I'm not sure what that means. Who is to "reconsider" what? It's one of the more lyrical of the Chopin Polonaises, particularly the Db-major section, and it's one of my favourites of the genre, very rewarding to play.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Akonow,

While I never got those passages quite where I wanted them-- wandered away to other pieces-- one thing that was helping me a lot was simply to be sure where I was going at the end of the arpeggiated "swoops." Play the measure without the arpeggiation, until you are totally sure that you can land on the next chords without any hesitation or question in your mind. Then the arpeggio thing just fills in the space between, and happens more naturally.

And BruceD's advice is excellent.

I agree with you that these are tricky. Keep up the good work!

Elene

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Though I am almost always up for discussion of Chopin, I didn't have anything to add to this one (especially after Bruce's typically appropriate advice). But a statement like "nobody came to the party" is guilt inducing to one who is all too familiar with initiating discussions that attract neither much interest nor participation!

Simply put, I've never played this particular Polonaise, though one of my classmates at uni did a splendid job of it. I did learn the Eb minor and the C minor, but never got around to my personal favourite, the F# minor.

Steven, not sure where you were going with the 'joke'. If I interpret it correctly, I don't think one could make a joke here. But I may be misreading you...

Jason
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has special affinity for the F# minor Polonaise. smile

thumb

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has special affinity for the F# minor Polonaise. smile

thumb

It's an amazing work, one that I would not yet attempt to study. If I were to attempt it - not any time soon, I assure you - I think that I would have interpretation issues (problems?) with the page and a half or so beginning at measure 112. That repeated pattern of four thirty-second notes, eighth note, four thirty-second notes, etc., doesn't seem to "go anywhere," and making it go somewhere should be what this section is all about. Musically not much is going on; it's a rhythmic pattern vying for attention, but what does one with with it besides observing the extended diminuendo?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BruceD, what do you think of the dynamic/rhythmic inflections in Rubinstein's recording of the F# minor Polonaise? It might be worth trying something similar.

Then again, maybe the passage is supposed to be unrelenting. I've always thought of it as a militaristic drumbeat pattern.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

thumb

It's an amazing work, one that I would not yet attempt to study. If I were to attempt it - not any time soon, I assure you - I think that I would have interpretation issues (problems?) with the page and a half or so beginning at measure 112. That repeated pattern of four thirty-second notes, eighth note, four thirty-second notes, etc., doesn't seem to "go anywhere," and making it go somewhere should be what this section is all about. Musically not much is going on; it's a rhythmic pattern vying for attention, but what does one with with it besides observing the extended diminuendo?

Regards,

I haven't yet gotten to Measure 112, and I have wondered about that section. Still working on the preceding sections, and on some of the virtuoso runs that are found elsewhere in the piece. blush It is quite difficult, but so far I have not found it to be too much for my ability; in fact, what I have gotten down of it lays extremely well under the hands. Not to mention I'm absolutely having a blast learning such a great piece of music. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I always thought of it as beating drums as well. Rubinstein does give one of my favorite interpretations of that section.

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission