Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1202551 - 05/20/09 01:44 AM Students that have a crush on you - Share!!!
Ocean Breeze Offline

Just thought I'd ask for kicks and giggles, and potential drama - have you guys had any experiences in which the students had a crush on you? It can be wayyy innocent (like a little kid), or ... really awkward (someone close to your age). How did you handle it? Any drama? Anyone cross the line?

My friends (and even my bf) joked with me that I should try using my womanness in flirting with the men to get more business. (If you knew me, this would be incredibly funny because I'm one of the biggest nerds on this planet.) But - Anyone use these under-handed methods? L O L

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1202603 - 05/20/09 07:32 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ocean Breeze]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Well, there was a time many years ago when I found a single red rose on my doorstep each day for a week or so. Never found out for sure who was responsible, and was glad for that.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1202616 - 05/20/09 08:03 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Piano*Dad]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
PD,

That was your wife!

;-)

#1202624 - 05/20/09 08:30 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: lilylady]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Not that I'm aware of. I've been extremely careful about this because even "innocent" crushes can be devastating to all involved. I'm married and I make that abundantly clear. I also keep a good distance from male students whenever possible. Teaching voice does require some physical contact, but it is never anything that can be misinterpreted wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1202631 - 05/20/09 08:41 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: lilylady]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: lilylady
PD,

That was your wife!

;-)

ROFL!! laugh

I'm not the recipient of many crushes these days (being in one's 40s will do that to a woman, alas). But there was an incident with a young male student some years back when I was a young assistant professor that made me nervous. He'd stop by to chat and email me frequently, and then one day he left a note arranging an appointment that he signed "Love and kisses." eek Then when he showed up for the appointment he came into my office and closed the door behind him. eek eek

Well, I bolted out of my chair, opened up the door widely, and informed him that it was inappropriate for him to sign his letter to me that way. And that was the end of that crush. wink

#1202632 - 05/20/09 08:44 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: lilylady]
Piano*Dad Offline

Quote:
PD,

That was your wife!

Ah, if only ...

Alas, it was a student. My wife wasn't my wife at that point.

Edited by Piano*Dad (05/20/09 08:45 AM)
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1202701 - 05/20/09 10:55 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Piano*Dad]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I have a crush on Morodiene! (I hope hubby doesn't mind)

#1202706 - 05/20/09 11:03 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: keyboardklutz]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
I have a crush on Morodiene! (I hope hubby doesn't mind)

LOL...hope you don't mind cement shoes wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1202708 - 05/20/09 11:07 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Morodiene]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I would seriously question the sanity of anyone who developed a crush on me :-)

#1202773 - 05/20/09 12:28 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: R0B]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
Not that I know of.
There was a sweet little cherub, about 6 I think, that liked to lean into me and look up at me when we were talking. She always like to end the lesson with a hug too. Warm and fuzzy.

Before anyone gets too excited, I am a girl AND mom was in the room. wink

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1202873 - 05/20/09 03:55 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ebony and Ivory
Not that I know of.
There was a sweet little cherub, about 6 I think, that liked to lean into me and look up at me when we were talking. She always like to end the lesson with a hug too. Warm and fuzzy.

Before anyone gets too excited, I am a girl AND mom was in the room. wink

Oh this is so funny....I thought you were a man. Maybe someone looking like Stevie Wonder. whome

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1202928 - 05/20/09 05:27 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Stanny]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I am lucky enough to be completely unaware about such things. I doubt very much that I would even notice!

#1203193 - 05/21/09 02:07 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Chris H.]
Ocean Breeze Offline

C'mon guys! We need more stories up in here. I have a story, but it's not from piano lessons - it's from tutoring.

So I tutored this one guy that was in junior high (I was a senior in high school at the time), and I could tell that he did not like being tutored in math. Anyways, we had a good month's worth of lessons, and everything was normal. The kid never did anything obvious to indicate any hidden feelings - or so I thought. If anything, I thought the kid didn't like me because he hated math, yet I was forcing him to learn it. Then one day, the mom suggested that I should take out her son to the mall or something and hang out with him. I thought nothing of it and said "Okay," and did nothing. (I mean, what was I supposed to do, especially because I never really held a normal conversation with the kid.)

Everything's cool right? Wrong. The mom told me again that I should hang out with her son, and mentioned something about how she would pay for it, and how her son is going into puberty. (Uh... Can we say... Awkward?) Then, I just thought the mom was crazy because you have to understand something - I was going to college in the fall, and that kid was just going to enter high school! Again, I did nothing with the kid. After being weirded out by the mom, I was more cautious and attentive to see if SHE just thought he liked me, or if he really did have a crush on me. And... after like a couple of more lessons, I started noticing that he would have trouble paying attention to the subject at hand (I always knew this, but thought it was because he hated math), and would stare at me when I was trying to do a problem and not directing my full attention to him. [My peripheral vision isn't the best, so before, I thought he was looking at how I was solving the problem.] I mean, it ended on okay terms, but man... that sorta freaked me out when the mom started talking about how her son was going into puberty and that I should take him out. Like seriously?! This was a kid!!!

Anyways, hopefully this story encourages others to chime in.

#1203268 - 05/21/09 08:15 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ocean Breeze]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ocean Breeze
I mean, it ended on okay terms, but man... that sorta freaked me out when the mom started talking about how her son was going into puberty and that I should take him out. Like seriously?! This was a kid!!!

Wow, some people's parents!! Maybe she was in a hurry to be a Grandma, lol

#1203607 - 05/21/09 07:22 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
electronblue Offline

I'm a male adult student in my early 30s and I'm currently taking lessons from a teacher that I find physically attractive and I admire her musical talent as well. If she wasn't married I would definitely like to ask her out. But since she is, I put emotional boundaries where I make sure 'I don't let myself go there' in regards to how I think about her or how I feel about her. If I was in my teens or early twenties I'll probably have more trouble with controlling my thoughts and feelings - but now I'm more experienced with having various working relationships with attractive women. I think she was a bit standoffish in the beginning as it had the potential to get bad - but I think she's comfortable now that she realizes that I'm just looking to learn from her. I also keep my attitude and demeanor as a student to a teacher (respectful, treat her as an authority figure).

I do feel I'm extra motivated to practice though in order to make a good impression!

#1203620 - 05/21/09 07:41 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: electronblue]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
There was this one female student who really loved what I was teaching her. She grew up on the classical curriculum and was very taken by my unique approach to learning piano.

On one occasion, she came in wearing way too much perfume. The message was clear ... she wanted me!

As my heart starting beating faster (she was very attractive) I realized that my bedroom was just a few feet away.

I walked up behind her and ...

What! You think I'm going to share this in a public forum!

#1203627 - 05/21/09 07:57 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: eweiss]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
There was this one female student who really loved what I was teaching her.

So what did you wind up teaching her? Do share. ;-p

#1203629 - 05/21/09 08:00 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Akira]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Akira
Quote:
There was this one female student who really loved what I was teaching her.

So what did you wind up teaching her? Do share. ;-p

What I teach most of my students ... how to trust intuition and improvise. Playing in the moment. That kind of stuff.

Something must have really percolated for her.

#1203630 - 05/21/09 08:00 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Piano*Dad]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Well, there was a time many years ago when I found a single red rose on my doorstep each day for a week or so. Never found out for sure who was responsible, and was glad for that.

I think I found your mystery person...

I keed. I keed. 2hearts

#1203933 - 05/22/09 10:42 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: eweiss]
Busy Bee Offline

Ed,

10's normally don't get together with 2's. Know what I mean?

Edited by Busy Bee (05/22/09 02:29 PM)

#1203989 - 05/22/09 12:18 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Busy Bee]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Busy Bee:

Why do you feel the need to be so insulting?

Put a smile on, and have a good day.

#1203998 - 05/22/09 12:29 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
pianoperformer Offline

Loc: Johnstown, PA
*sings "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and imagines those darn singing fish that used to be popular*

#1204006 - 05/22/09 12:36 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Chris H.]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Originally Posted By: Chris H.
I am lucky enough to be completely unaware about such things. I doubt very much that I would even notice!

Yes Chris, I believe you are right! wink

#1204074 - 05/22/09 02:28 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Diane...]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Diane, where on Earth did you get that picture?

It gives me the creeps! Uggh.

#1204084 - 05/22/09 02:41 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Chris H.]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It is creepy! It looks like a picture that would be on a cover in the XXX section! Lol

#1204088 - 05/22/09 02:45 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, that guy is a total disgrace.

It makes me sick.

Not only should he not be teaching, he needs locking up.

I mean........

TEACHING ON A DIGITAL!!!!!!!

What is the world coming to?

****THIS POST IS JUST A JOKE**** (For the benefit of those insects with no sense of humour)

#1204103 - 05/22/09 03:02 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Chris H.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
LOL

Cathy

#1204134 - 05/22/09 03:51 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Chris H.]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chris H.
he needs locking up.

I mean........

TEACHING ON A DIGITAL!!!!!!!

What is the world coming to?

****THIS POST IS JUST A JOKE**** (For the benefit of those insects with no sense of humour)

Oh!! an LOL two-fer ha ha!

#1204169 - 05/22/09 05:00 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Busy Bee Offline

E&I what insult?????????

#1204178 - 05/22/09 05:18 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Busy Bee]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Busy Bee
E&I what insult?????????

Here are just a few taken from some of your posts:
"You are hurting these children"
"you think abuse is okay"
"you should be very ashamed"
"your narrow minded thinking"
"Just a tad touched huh?"
"teachers like you should not teach young children"
"do you just love patronizing me and the little ones so much cause it makes you feel so powerful?"

On this thread it's just:
"10's normally don't get together with 2's"

but I am asking in general. Many of your comments are derogatory and insulting. This is not the first time I've seen unkind words go out to Ed.

#1204198 - 05/22/09 05:50 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Busy Bee Offline

Why is it an insult when I said that 10's don't get together with 2's? Who do you think I was referring to? Is Ed a 10 or a 2 E&I? I think you're the one that insulted Ed, not me.

#1204199 - 05/22/09 05:51 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Busy Bee]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I assumed that. Oops. Based on your previous comments to Ed.

#1204205 - 05/22/09 05:58 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Busy Bee Offline

You know what they say about assumptions E&I!

#1204209 - 05/22/09 06:01 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Busy Bee]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

yup, I'm an a**

#1204210 - 05/22/09 06:04 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Busy Bee]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I wasn't going to bother but I feel I must point out that Busy Bee went back and edited the post where they insulted Ed. I can't remember exactly what was said but it was along the lines of Ed living in a fantasy world. It was very clear that Ed was most certainly the '2' in that comment.

The irony is that Ed was not being serious in his post. Yet another example of humour going over some people's heads!

#1204241 - 05/22/09 07:18 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Chris H.]
Busy Bee Offline

Now, now, Chris, are you sure? Don't put words in my mouth. I edited for grammar reason! Don't make accusations please.

#1204247 - 05/22/09 07:32 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Busy Bee]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
You know what they say about assumptions E&I!

A person gets on piano forums disguised as a stinging insect leads one to what assumption?

#1204256 - 05/22/09 07:46 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Busy Bee]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
Now, now, Chris, are you sure? Don't put words in my mouth. I edited for grammar reason! Don't make accusations please.

Actually I believe Chris is correct. To differ in opinions is one thing, you're starting to head in a different direction entirely.

#1204317 - 05/22/09 10:01 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: bitWrangler]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
You know, at first, I was happy that Frank removed the "Rate the Poster" feature, but now, I'm not so sure! tiki

#1204318 - 05/22/09 10:02 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ocean Breeze]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Ocean Breeze
Just thought I'd ask for kicks and giggles, and potential drama - have you guys had any experiences in which the students had a crush on you? It can be wayyy innocent (like a little kid), or ... really awkward (someone close to your age). How did you handle it? Any drama? Anyone cross the line?

My friends (and even my bf) joked with me that I should try using my womanness in flirting with the men to get more business. (If you knew me, this would be incredibly funny because I'm one of the biggest nerds on this planet.) But - Anyone use these under-handed methods? L O L

OB, my pappy taught me not to kiss and tell! laugh

#1204405 - 05/23/09 01:06 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
This is annoying
... anyways I will divert the topic back ... I had a crush on one teacher ... one of my music teachers I used to see, I used to gaze into his pupils and stare, while he would ask me: are you ok? LOL that snapped me out of it. I used to giggle incessantly and hopelessly and then, I found out: he's gay as he talked about his boy friend that was the end of that!

#1204513 - 05/23/09 08:52 AM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Nannerl Mozart]
kissyana Offline

Loc: Northeast Illinois
I don't think any of my students have had crushes on me... at least I hope not! However, I have had a crush on a teacher. It was a music history teacher. He was young, excited about the subject, funny, talented and handsome. It was just a silly crush but it provided good motivation to study! I aced a lot of tests in that class.

#1204868 - 05/23/09 09:39 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I think I have had a couple of students who did, but usually they were my hardest working students.

Meri

#1204888 - 05/23/09 10:19 PM Re: Students that have a crush on you - Share!!! [Re: eweiss]
Piano*Dad Offline

Originally Posted By: eweiss
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

I think I found your mystery person...

I keed. I keed. 2hearts

EEEEeeeeeeeKKKKK!

Grotrian 192 #156455

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
how best to match natural mahogany on plain wood case parts
by msks
Yesterday at 08:26 PM
Who's Online
96 registered (AZ_Astro, anotherscott, BB Player, Abby Pianoman, 27 invisible), 1160 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158499 Topics
2327671 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission