Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1187573 - 04/26/09 08:21 AM André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

I am about halfway through the new book just released by André Oorebeek.

This must be the most comprehensive book on the subject of voicing that I have read to date; André breaks down the process into sections that are easily understood by the beginner as well as the more experienced technician.

The book comes with a DVD companion that I just reviewed; running time of 45 minutes total, professionally done, with good clarity and sound. Of particular note, André breaks down the voicing procedures for all to see and hear, moreover, he demonstrates very clearly finding an “error” in the tonal qualities of the instrument, and then correcting the problem of uneven tones.

This is a very important aspect of teaching, the ability to communicate the process of any technical expertise in language that the majority will understand, even folks who are not technicians at all.

For the average layman or pianist, I would also encourage the purchase of this book/DVD. A study of this material will go long way to explaining why pianos sound like they do, what can be done for improvement, and further will help to explain the tonal qualities, how they are produced, or masked, by using the hammer.

I know that André has been booked for seminar classes in concert voicing at the National Convention of the Piano Technicians Guild in Grand Rapids that commences this July 15th 2009. For the technicians who are attending, obtaining a copy of this release prior to attending this class would be a very good way to prep yourself “going in”. Hope to see you at the classes there…………….

Thanks to Jurgen Goering of Pianofortesupply for compiling and producing this book. And thanks to André Oorebeek for taking the time to share his expertise in this way for the benefit of all.

Here is the web site link for the purchase of this book. I would encourage all who are interested in taking their voicing procedures to a higher level would benefit greatly from this release.

www.thevoiceofthepiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1187599 - 04/26/09 10:01 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Dan. I just ordered mine and hope to get it soon. Judging by past posts on pianotech from Andre, this should be a great read and reference book.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#1187678 - 04/26/09 01:01 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Dave Stahl]
4000 Post Club Member

Cheers Dave,

Yes it is a good read. Very informative for expanding your voicing horizons. One of the most important aspects of becoming a well rounded technician, is the complete understanding of how the hammer reacts to its own shape and the manipulation applied.

The DVD is a nice addition too.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1188134 - 04/27/09 06:31 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Thanks Dan, although I have enough on my plate right now...I have put it on my want list...maybe santa will come early this year...
PTG Associate

#1188284 - 04/27/09 12:08 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Erus Offline

Loc: Mexico
Thanks for the review, Dan.

Kudos to Jurgen Goering and (obviously) André Oorebeek.

#1188376 - 04/27/09 01:57 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Erus]
4000 Post Club Member

No problem on the review Erus, glad to offer an opinion on this release.
As far as purchasing or planning to purchase Monster, I have no idea of the size of the print run, so best to contact Jurgen (supply) for availability.

#1188571 - 04/27/09 06:45 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh no.... don't anyone tell my wife... or I'll be in the wood shed...(if we had one)... again.
PTG Associate

#1188715 - 04/27/09 10:30 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Les Koltvedt]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Dan,

Once again, I thank you for your work in bringing this great guy into my expanding horizon. I've seen enough of Andre's work to easily justify ponying up the $85 plus S&H in the coming weeks! This guy is poetry in motion!

Thanks for your part in giving this thing wings!

RPD
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1188859 - 04/28/09 07:24 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: RPD]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ordered mine this morning... with wifes blessing, ain't she a sweetheart
PTG Associate

#1190523 - 04/30/09 11:36 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Les Koltvedt]
4000 Post Club Member

She lives on Love Street.....good stuff Monster, you will eventually benefit from the purchase as you go forward....

#1190525 - 04/30/09 11:39 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Dan...there are some days I'm so stoked about learning all this, reminds me of the days of long ago when I was drag racing and learning as much as a sponge can soak up...:)
PTG Associate

#1195124 - 05/07/09 03:01 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
The voicing book has only been available for about two weeks and there has already been a tremendous amount of enthusiastic feedback.

There's a new "Events" page on the book website with upcoming voicing seminars André Oorebeek will be giving. You can also see pictures of him in action at a voicing class (click on the thumbnails for a larger view). As well, instructions on how you can get André to your town to voice a whole piano before your eyes.

piano hammer voicing seminar

Enjoy.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1195149 - 05/07/09 04:04 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Supply]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Got the book and DVD the other day...tks
PTG Associate

#1195409 - 05/08/09 01:09 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Great picture of the back of my head Jurgen grin
Not so sure what that is on my shirt.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1195572 - 05/08/09 10:36 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
4000 Post Club Member

Rod,
That spot is what is called lens glare...usually from a spotlight or pot light above the subject...

#1195573 - 05/08/09 10:40 AM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

OR, it (the blue spot) could be the aliens trying to figure out if the speed in which this guy works is even human, or otherwise!!!

RPD

#1195616 - 05/08/09 12:10 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: RPD]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
And here I thought Andre gave me a shot of teflon when I was not looking, trying to make me as slick as him. grin

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1195618 - 05/08/09 12:15 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
When you blow up the blue spot and use image enhancement, it says "Kick me!"

#1195631 - 05/08/09 12:45 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: BDB]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
When you blow up the blue spot and use image enhancement, it says "Kick me!"

ROFLMAO....
PTG Associate

#1198164 - 05/12/09 09:01 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

For those technicians in the UK or Australia:

Hecksher in the UK will be carrying The Voice of the Piano (& DVD).

Bruce Browning will be distributing it in Australia.

These additions are about to be posted at the book website's "Purchase" page.

www.TheVoiceOfThePiano.com

#1200665 - 05/16/09 10:11 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Supply]
4000 Post Club Member

Good work on the web site options Jurgen,

A couple of other things for you to answer……

After reading your latest posting here, I was wondering if this DVD is region free or do buyers have to obtain a DVD player for region 1 discs?

Also what about playing the disc on a computer or an NTSC video player?

#1203053 - 05/20/09 09:30 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The DVD is not keyed or locked for any particular region in the world. It is in NTSC (standard North American and Japanese format), which means it can be viewed on any NTSC player anywhere.

It can also be played on any computer, which is where most people will probably watch it, as it is of technical nature.

#1205532 - 05/25/09 02:49 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Supply]
4000 Post Club Member

Good planning on the DVD Jurgen. I just watched it on the big screen and it looks great there too! Good clarity, nicely edited, sound is good……

#1212771 - 06/06/09 01:14 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This week was a great one for Andre's book. We sent a shipment of books out to a wholesaler in Japan. "The Voice of the Piano" book and DVD is now being distributed on four continents - North America, Europe, Japan and Australia. Technicians all over the world are discovering this valuable resource.

#1212782 - 06/06/09 01:30 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Supply]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does anybody know if this DVD will be available at a booth at the PTG event in GR this summer?

RPD

#1212825 - 06/06/09 02:19 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: RPD]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I use the contents of the book almost daily. And I haven't even seen the DVD yet....

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#1212889 - 06/06/09 04:42 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Dave Stahl]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
I ordered mine and eagerly await it's arrival!
www.pianova.net

#1212955 - 06/06/09 06:43 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: RPD]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RPD
Does anybody know if this DVD will be available at a booth at the PTG event in GR this summer?
RPD

The DVD comes with the book, it is a set. The book has a lot of background information which is not touched on in the DVD. This information is helpful in getting the most benefit from the video. The 45 minute DVD shows all the steps in voicing a set of hammers from start to finish, as described in the book. A DVD can show a lot of things that are difficult to put into words and the audio is helpful so that one can hear the changes taking place.

Not only will the book/DVD be available in Grand Rapids at the Piano Forte Supply booth, the author Andre Oorebeek will be giving a full one day class on the whole book content. Having seen him in action twice, I can say that his one day seminar alone is well worth the cost of attending the convention. There will be time for mingling and book signing, of course.

#1213288 - 06/07/09 12:20 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Supply]
Scooters Offline

Loc: N.E. Montana
Hi Folks,

I've sure enjoyed my copy and the DVD is great! Well done! A great guide!

Many Thanks,

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2

#1215866 - 06/11/09 02:44 PM Re: André Oorebeek voicing book/DVD release [Re: Supply]
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Supply
This week was a great one for Andre's book. We sent a shipment of books out to a wholesaler in Japan. "The Voice of the Piano" book and DVD is now being distributed on four continents - North America, Europe, Japan and Australia. Technicians all over the world are discovering this valuable resource.

Hey Jurgen,

I was reading this posting and wondered if there was any plans to translate the book into Cantonese or Mandarin.(Actually, I think both languages are written the same but spoken differently. Also with Mandarin there are some phrases that have no translation into Cantonese.)

With all of the piano manufacturing being re-located to mainland China, there will be a requirement for a good deal of technical instruction over there.Maybe this is something that you and Andre have discussed already.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, AndresD, ando, 40 invisible), 1904 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294430 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
07/28/14 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
07/28/14 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
07/28/14 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
07/28/14 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
07/28/14 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission