Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1203763 - 05/22/09 01:12 AM Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism stat!)
Pumpkinhead Offline

Hello all,
Here is my first composition. I know that it's a bit rough, but I'm pretty proud of it. I hope to get a lot better over the summer! However, I know that the best way to improve is to get a second opinion, so if you are willing, I'd love to hear some criticism from you guys. You have always been helpful in the Piano Forum (hell, you guys basically programmed my Audition Repertoire), so I certainly trust your criticisms. Thanks again! It's posted as an attachment in a Composer's forum. Enjoy!!

http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/piece-for-clarinet-and-piano

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1203978 - 05/22/09 12:01 PM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism stat!) [Re: Pumpkinhead]
musiccr8r Offline

Loc: Denver
I loved this. Seriously, esp. for a first composition, I was way impressed.

Criticism? My only thoughts as I went thru it were, one section about 2/3 of the way thru the clarinet was just playing single notes for awhile, and I wished there was more. But of course that was most likely an artistic decision to change the texture or feature the piano more, so no major issue. I was also hoping you'd let it hang unresolved at the end, with the octaves chiming in the piano, maybe a couple more meaures of that with some melodic fragments in the clariet added, fading out just a bit. ?? I dunno if you'd want to try that just for kicks, and leave off the last three chords (or however many there were) that actually resolved it. Usually I like things wrapped up neatly in a package, but every once in a while (and I think this piece is one where it would be effective), it is fun to just "leave 'em hanging". ?? Just some random thoughts. But, very very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1204343 - 05/22/09 10:47 PM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism stat!) [Re: musiccr8r]
Pumpkinhead Offline

Thanks a lot Musiccr8r. I completely agree about the ending, and I wish that there were a way to fade out before those last three chords finish the piece. The final resolution just seems a bit redundant now...

As for the simplicity of the Clarinet part 2/3rds of the way through, that was intentional to give the transition to the B section an even bigger "wind down." But perhaps it was too long or abruptly simple or too slow...

Does anyone else have any thoughts? This is all greatly appreciated. This is my first venture into composing so it's great to view the music from a critical perspective right from day one. Thanks a lot you guys!

#1204486 - 05/23/09 07:26 AM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism stat!) [Re: Pumpkinhead]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
i thought this was awesome.

#1204779 - 05/23/09 06:23 PM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism stat!) [Re: knotty]
Pumpkinhead Offline

Thanks Knotty, that means a lot. Do you have any criticisms for me? I really want to improve.

#1205143 - 05/24/09 03:47 PM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism st [Re: Pumpkinhead]
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
I like this very much Pumpkinhead! A lot of very nice harmony, imaginative melodies, interesting interplay between the piano and the clarinet, varying textures (especially loved the triplet section). All in all hugely inspirational, thank you so much for sharing it!

I'd like to see it build a little more. From a listener's point of view the the piece was pretty much mp from start to about 3/4 of the way through the piece. The burst of energy there was well worth it, and I would personally like a little more of it - it was getting so exciting! This might actually be able to be achieved without changing a single note, but rather working on the delivery of the piece (which is as important as the jotting down of musical ideas). I think it will end up being great music with a little more work on which of the many rich musical features you want to impress your audience with.

Once more, it's totally inspirational, thank you so much. Are you a College music student by any chance?

Edited by Tar (05/24/09 03:49 PM)
verbis defectis musica incipit

#1205308 - 05/24/09 11:43 PM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism st [Re: Tar]
Pumpkinhead Offline

Wow, that is such a compliment Tar! I have played the piano since I was five or six. and am majoring in Piano at a University at the moment, but would like to double in Composition. I was very methodical in my learning of composition, having read a few books on the subject (like Schoenberg's Fundamentals of Music Composition) and analyzed a great deal of music (mostly Debussy, Rachmaninoff, and the early Beethoven Sonatas) before I wrote down a single note. To be honest, this is what helped me the most in composing this first piece. It feels as if I started with a strong foothold, so to speak!

Well thank you guys so much for your encouragement and advice. I'll definitely be incorporating your input, though I've already learned a lot from this experience. Thanks guys!

#1207301 - 05/28/09 08:18 AM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism st [Re: Pumpkinhead]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Very nice. I want to learn to compose and am a clarinet player and beginning piano player. I love the sounds of wood winds! I don't really think I have any crits. Great job on building to the tension and then resolving. Maybe a bit more work on the final notes? Hold a bit or ??

This is great.

#1207357 - 05/28/09 10:17 AM Re: Piece for Clarinet and Piano(Need criticism st [Re: kennychaffin]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Pumpkinhead,

Overall that's a very nice piece of music. You managed to hold my interest throughout. As a first piece it's a real surprise with just how good it is.

You've asked for suggestions to make it better and there have been some already. I agree with the observation that it stays pretty much mezzo piano for too long. I also find the ending a bit perplexing, as it is it needs either more resolution or make it more abrupt and leave us hanging. The principal theme is good, but could be improved. All it may need is some rhythmic spice, consider some dotted rhythms or hold some notes a bit longer. Dotted rhythms add a sense of propulsion, holding a note can add tension or relaxation depending on what the accompaniment does. Adding these features will make your motives more recognizable so that you can craft a more effective ending.

So to reiterate, your piece is lovely and shows some real talent and craftsmanship. It has room for improvement and my ideas are simply my opinion. Consider them and if they resonate with you I hope they're helpful in making your piece better.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I can only Trill well on good grand pianos....
by Paul678
09/22/14 11:48 PM
Is Bondfix just as good as Hotstuff CA glue?
by Paul678
09/22/14 10:42 PM
What's up with Paulello?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 10:13 PM
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
09/22/14 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Who's Online
57 registered (barbaram, AZNpiano, a-z0-9, bennevis, 11 invisible), 945 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157700 Topics
2316410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission