2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 11 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi all, my names dan, im new to the forum.

I have decided to teach myself to play piano/keyboard, i have loads of spare time and i pick things up very quickly.

I have a nice stereo and fast laptop, so it seems logical to me to use this to my adavatage and buy a kind of dummy terminal keyboard, basically i want a set of 88 keys with a midi output to a decent external sound card.

I know very little about pianos, but im pretty sure i need 88 keys and 3 pedals.

So i am looking for a full size basic keyboard for playing the piano only (no speakers or fancy buttons) which we allow me to plug in some pedals. I would like it to work with as many pieces of software as possible, so i can pick and choose.

Are there many such devices? can you recommend one? I would prefer to buy one as cheap as possible because i dont have much cash. I am researching possible solutions, but its always best to get opinions from the people with experience.

Thanks for reading, i appreciate any advice given, have a new nice day.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I think most keyboards have some other features like other voices and stuff.

The best for you would be a fully weighted keyboard because it feels closer to a real piano. In my opinion if you had an unweighted keyboard, even if you learn to play that, it's very hard to play a real piano afterwards. The switch is quite a big one.

I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend but you could try a Yamaha CP33 but it's a little over $1000.

You could also try a Yamaha DGX 620 but this one's feel is a little weaker but it's cheaper.

Some Casio keyboards are great as well and they're around the $600ish range I believe. They might be better than the DGX 620 for around the same price.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the reply.

Coming to think of it, i dont see a time where i will ever actually play a real piano lol. Its more of a little hobby for when im bored. So the weighted keys have lesser importance in my situation. However, does a weighted keyboard actually create a better sound, ie, are there more output sensors per key for different kinds of key strokes maybe? I think ill have to investigate that.

Upto 5-600$ is my budget currently, ill upgrade at a later date if i really get into it. Also ill be buying a collapsable stand, a permenant one is not an option.

Thanks again!!

Anyone know M-Audio ones are any good?

Check out the M-Audi ProKeys 88sx - it might fit the bill perfectly for you. I have a small M-Audio MIDI controller and have had good luck with it. Here's a link to the 88sx: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProKeys88sx/

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Joel
You should also check out CME UF80 or maybe the older model, UF8. I've the second one mentioned and I think it's quite nice for a beginner - it's cheap, if you want you can add various sound modules to it, also 3 pedal unit..

Last edited by M.Schreck; 05/22/09 11:11 AM.
B
B
daniell, Google "prokeys 88sx" and check out the Utube demo video by Mike Garson!
Also the M-Audio page, and the Harmony Central reviews.
Enjoy

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
S
S
The 88SX already has some sound generation on board. The Prokeys 88SE lacks that and is a kind of MIDI-only version of the SX, and it's a lot cheaper.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission