Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1202987 - 05/20/09 07:18 PM Harmonic concepts and vocabulary
Claude56 Offline

What other harmony concepts and harmonic vocabulary are out there? If you tell me about something related to harmony that I don't know, then I can go search off of Google and look this stuff up. Here is all the concepts and vocabulary related to harmony that I can think of off the top of my head and the stuff that I have "heard of" from books and pianists on piano forums from the past:

secondary dominants
modulation
chord tones
tonicization
melodic counterpoint
diatonic changes
ornaments
extensions
circle of fifths and circle of fourths
passing tones and leading tones
tritone substitution
paning
contrary motion
"tonal" music and "tonal center"
scales and arpeggios
extended dominants
learning chord qualities and their symbols
diminished chords
suspended chords
chromatic mediant
tonic, subtonic, mediant, suptertonic, submediant, subdominant, leading tone, and dominant
predominant
harmony term abbreviations
perfect authentic cadence
closed cadence
plagal cadence
deceptive cadence
cadence
cadential 6/4
voice leading
inversions
binary and tertiary form
form
chord progression
polychord

I know, this list might seem a little long, but these are some of the basic harmony concepts that most composers in the piano forums have mentioned and as far as I know, some composers in this forum may know even more. This list hasn't been preserved on paper, so I don't right these terms on paper. These terms I am familiar with and I can think of them on the top of my head.

After all, I am still a beginner in learning these new harmonic concepts. I have a rudimentary understanding of contrary motion, and the only thing I know about it is that its two or more melodic lines that each travel away from each other. I hear musical terms from people in the piano forums every once in a while and try to get a basic understanding of them. I don't want to be like a "musical dictionary" of musical terms, but I still would like to at least understand the musical terms that pianists are using in the composers lounge piano forum.

This word list doesn't help me understand harmony, because I know a lot of musical terms, and I still don't understand the music of the greats. So, we can learn from this that even if you know your basic musical terms, you still won't be able to have a great understanding of harmony. It has to be applied during harmonic analysis for it to happen. Words are never going help you understand music. But it is still in use to become familiar with all the basic music concepts and the rudimentary musical harmonic education.

Edited by noSkillz (05/20/09 09:01 PM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1203024 - 05/20/09 08:35 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: Claude56]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
That's a fantastic list! The only things I can think of to add are some ideas from Schenker's writings that I often use - prolongations, step progressions, voice exchange, and the idea of an initial ascent, interruption, and urlinie.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1203040 - 05/20/09 09:04 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: Kreisler]
Claude56 Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
That's a fantastic list! The only things I can think of to add are some ideas from Schenker's writings that I often use - prolongations, step progressions, voice exchange, and the idea of an initial ascent, interruption, and urlinie.

Wow! I have heard of prolongations and step progressions, but I don't know exactly what those words mean. I guess I'll plan to look up the definition of those two words up. The rest of the words I have never heard of in my musical education.

Edited by noSkillz (05/20/09 09:06 PM)

#1203060 - 05/20/09 09:42 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: Claude56]
sudoplatov Offline

Loc: Near Dallas Texas
augmented sixth
Neapolitan sixth
neighbor tone
cambiata
sonata form
rondo form

#1203230 - 05/21/09 05:52 AM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: sudoplatov]
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Some that come to mind:

progressive tonality
non-functional tonality
pedal point
enharmonic spelling
non-chord tones
Landini cadence

#1203535 - 05/21/09 04:42 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: mrenaud]
Claude56 Offline

I have just found this really neat website that talks all about harmony:

http://www.harmony.org.uk/chord_progressions_in_tonal_music.htm

But some of the terms, such as static harmony and dynamic harmony I am not familiar with.

#1203566 - 05/21/09 05:49 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: Claude56]
Allazart Offline

It's his unique terminology...but his writing hit on I'd often observed but with far more structure and analytical completeness.
I love that site.

#1203652 - 05/21/09 08:49 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: Claude56]
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern Oregon
I can't believe you forgot these:

Parallel fifths
Hidden octaves

and what about echappee and the Tristan chord?

#1203654 - 05/21/09 08:51 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: ScottM]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
What's are hidden octaves?

#1203687 - 05/21/09 09:40 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: eweiss]
sudoplatov Offline

Loc: Near Dallas Texas
Hidden octaves and hidden fifths occur when two voiced move into an octive or fifth by similar motion. If this is done in the outer voices, it sounds like one of the voices dropped out. Parallel octives and fifths sound this way only more so, even between inner voices.

Neither parallel octaves nor fifths have to do with doubling. A doubled voice is still a single voice.

#1203806 - 05/22/09 02:36 AM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: sudoplatov]
xxmynameisjohnxx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Diego
Originally Posted By: sudoplatov
augmented sixth
Neapolitan sixth

In addition to those two,
borrowed chords
common tone diminished chords
extended chords [9th, 11, 13 etc]
altered dominants
retardations [opposite of sus, sus is prepare suspend release going down, retardation is going up]
And probably others I'll think of later.

#1205279 - 05/24/09 10:20 PM Re: Harmonic concepts and vocabulary [Re: Claude56]
photowriters Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Originally Posted By: noSkillz
This word list doesn't help me understand harmony, because I know a lot of musical terms, and I still don't understand the music of the greats. So, we can learn from this that even if you know your basic musical terms, you still won't be able to have a great understanding of harmony. It has to be applied during harmonic analysis for it to happen. Words are never going help you understand music. But it is still in use to become familiar with all the basic music concepts and the rudimentary musical harmonic education.
Ah yes . . . Music theory raises its Hydra head. The easiest way to learn music theory is to successfully complete a "standard" music theory sequence at your local community college.

If it is not possible to enroll in a music theory sequence, then I would suggest that anyone who wants to learn harmony get either the Kostka and Payne Tonal Harmony or the Benward and Saker Music in Theory and Practice and the accompanying CDs and workbooks and study them.

Although one can learn theory without any assistance, he/she will probably do much better if he/she can also find someone to serve as a mentor. Someone that can both answer questions and "grade" workbook exercises. I might be a good idea to pay your mentor for a weekly lesson in the same fashion that you would pay for a music lesson.

Comments? Agreements? Disagreements?

Bob

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (ajames, accordeur, Alex1, AmateurBob, 41 invisible), 1890 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75516 Members
42 Forums
156163 Topics
2293332 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
20 minutes 37 seconds ago
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
22 minutes 10 seconds ago
Kawai K200
by Vidsin
Today at 02:46 PM
Medelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 01:52 PM
Correcting Heavy Piano Touchweight in Grand Pianos
by Paul678
Today at 01:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission