Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1205491 - 05/25/09 01:53 PM How to properly execute arpeggiated chords
mrmdsy Offline

I have a question about playing arpeggiated chords. I know that each note is supposed to be played one at a time like plucking the strings of a harp, but my main question is, can you hold down the note and subsequent notes as as soon you play them? This would layer and sustain the notes without using the pedal but still create a rolled chord. Or am I only supposed to play one note at a time? Also, when played quickly, it is customary to hold the top note a little longer to last the full beat (that is how I was taught to do arpeggiated chords)? Or should I evenly space out each note to last however many beats the chord is supposed to last? Are both ways acceptable?

Also, I was taught to play from the bottom note to the top--how is it notated to play from the top to bottom?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1205504 - 05/25/09 02:12 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: mrmdsy]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Technique for playing arpeggiated chords varies from period to period. That said, a few general rules can apply.

Chords are usually rolled from bottom to top. If there are simultaenous rolled chords in both hands, they usually begin and end together. The arpeggio sign (wavy vertical line) is written as two separated lines, one for each hand.
If a composer wants a two-hand chord rolled from bottom to top, left hand first, followed by the right hand, then the arpeggio sign (wavy vertical line) is a single, unbroken one from bottom to top.

If chords are to be arpeggiated from top to bottom, the arpeggio sign is accompanied by a down arrow.

In most instances all the notes in the chords that are arpeggiated are held through to the end of the full value of the chord, otherwise the chord would not be written as a chord. In most instances from Baroque through Romantic, the arpeggio starts on the beat meaning that in a RH arpeggios the melody note - usually the top note, but not always - will come slightly after the beat. If a composer (Chopin, for example) wants the melody note to come on the beat, then the arpeggio figure is usually indicated differently, by separate small notes written before the beat.

The left hand arpeggios in the third movement (Alla turca) of the Mozart Sonata in A major, KV331. The LH arpeggios start on the beat and the top note therefore falls slightly after the beat. However, those arpeggios are played so quickly that it doesn't become an issue of syncopation. Speed of articulation of the arpeggio depends often on tempo and mood of the piece. In the Mozart refered to above, the arpeggios are executed very rapidly. An example of a much more slowly executed arpeggio would be that in the opening of the second movement of the Beethoven Sonata Op 31, No 2, "Tempest," also rolled all the way from top to bottom, left hand then right hand.

There are exceptions to these general observations.

Regards,

#1205525 - 05/25/09 02:38 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: BruceD]
mrmdsy Offline

Thank you for replying to my post. In most cases I have thought that it sounds better when holding all the notes that are arpeggiated through the full value of the chord.

In the example of the third movement (Alla Turca) of the Mozart Sonata in A Major, KV331, there are arpeggiated chords (with the wavy line) in the right hand that are quarter notes, but the top note is a half note. If they are to be all held down for the full value of two beats, why is only the top note a half note and the others are quarter notes? Would it not make more sense to roll it quickly from bottom to top (playing one note at a time and not holding the quarter notes through) and hold the top note for the whole measure?

Regards,
mrmdsy

#1205529 - 05/25/09 02:45 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: mrmdsy]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
I think Mozart was fully aware of what he was doing. To play it properly, the quarter notes shouldn't be sustained for the full measure, whereas the C# is.

Daniel

#1205541 - 05/25/09 03:03 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: Ridicolosamente]
mrmdsy Offline

Okay, sorry, I think I get it now. The quarter notes would be sustained for half the measure, but only the top note for the full measure. I would still be holding down notes while playing other notes and not quickly releasing them one at a time. Otherwise, it would be notated as small notes as done in the left hand.

#1205552 - 05/25/09 03:23 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: mrmdsy]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
You got it!

#1205602 - 05/25/09 04:35 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: Ridicolosamente]
mrmdsy Offline

Okay, I guess I still don't quite get it. I suppose I'm having trouble making sense of the concept (I understand it logically, but musically it doesn't always feel the best) because I was originally taught to play one note at a time and release the note after you get to the next note. Also, the 5 or so piano instructors that I've had in my lifetime (including college level) have never said anything about it being played the other way or that I was doing it incorrectly.

Holding all the notes down one at a time during an arpeggiated chord (with wavy line) just does not work when the arpeggiated chord is spread out over the span of an interval of a 10th or 13th. I know many pianists can comfortably reach a 10th (I cannot), but when the arpeggiated chord is used with a large interval like that, I roll from bottom note to top, playing notes legato and releasing each note after I get to the next higher note. Often, I use a little bit of pedal to help make it sound smoother if jumping large intervals. Holding down and sustaining the notes of the arpeggiated chords sounds better in slower pieces or passages, but in faster pieces, holding all the notes down sounds worse, for example, Hungarian Dance No.5 by Brahms.

#1205613 - 05/25/09 04:51 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: mrmdsy]
mrmdsy Offline

Well, actually, I tried it out and it still sounds fine with holding all the notes with the arpeggiated chords in different speeds, but it still does not account for holding down notes with huge intervals...unless all pianists are understood to have a very large hand span. I have fairly small hands, but a large span for my hand size.

#1205633 - 05/25/09 05:33 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: BruceD]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]The left hand arpeggios in the third movement (Alla turca) of the Mozart Sonata in A major, KV331. The LH arpeggios start on the beat and the top note therefore falls slightly after the beat. However, those arpeggios are played so quickly that it doesn't become an issue of syncopation. Speed of articulation of the arpeggio depends often on tempo and mood of the piece. In the Mozart refered to above, the arpeggios are executed very rapidly. An example of a much more slowly executed arpeggio would be that in the opening of the second movement of the Beethoven Sonata Op 31, No 2, "Tempest," also rolled all the way from top to bottom, left hand then right hand.
[...]Regards,

Whoops!

Correction to my earlier post on the Mozart. I checked the Henle and ABRSM editions and they differ from what I said earlier. Earlier, I was going on poor memory, not on text consultation. The LH arpeggios in the third movement are shown as three grace notes leading to the fourth note on the beat Disregard what I said earlier, then, about these being conventional arpeggios; they are not!

As they say : My Bad!

Sorry!

Regards,

#1205638 - 05/25/09 05:38 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: mrmdsy]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: mrmdsy
Okay, I guess I still don't quite get it. I suppose I'm having trouble making sense of the concept (I understand it logically, but musically it doesn't always feel the best) because I was originally taught to play one note at a time and release the note after you get to the next note. Also, the 5 or so piano instructors that I've had in my lifetime (including college level) have never said anything about it being played the other way or that I was doing it incorrectly.

[...]

Conversely, all the instructors I have had "in my lifetime" have never suggested that only the top note of an arpeggiated chord is to be held. Otherwise, why would the chord be notated with all the notes showing the value of the chord. The fact that the chord is arpeggiated as opposed to a solid chord, should not change the value of the notes within that chord.

Back to the LH of the Mozart "Alla turca" where the first three notes of the arpeggio are "grace notes" which are obviously not held.

Regards,

#1205641 - 05/25/09 05:41 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: Ridicolosamente]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente
I think Mozart was fully aware of what he was doing. To play it properly, the quarter notes shouldn't be sustained for the full measure, whereas the C# is.

Daniel

If Mozart really knew what he was doing[1] why does he not include a quarter rest after the lower notes of the chord? Sticking with purely theoretical rules, that should be how the measure should be notated.

[1]In point of fact, I would never presume to state that Mozart didn't know what he was doing. It might have been careless writing in the mss., unclear in the mss., or it may have been an editor's oversight.

Regards,

#1205646 - 05/25/09 05:55 PM Re: How to properly execute arpeggiated chords [Re: mrmdsy]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: mrmdsy
Well, actually, I tried it out and it still sounds fine with holding all the notes with the arpeggiated chords in different speeds, but it still does not account for holding down notes with huge intervals...unless all pianists are understood to have a very large hand span. I have fairly small hands, but a large span for my hand size.

Speaking more general, and not just with reference to the Mozart, it is accepted standard procedure to use pedal with arpeggiated chords that spread over large spans. The two most immediate examples that come to mind because I've recently played them - and there are dozens of them - are :
1) the Rachmaninoff Etude, Op 33, No 3 in C minor. In the C major section there are arpeggiated chords that span 9ths and 10ths and it seems obvious to me that one holds all the notes of those chords.
2) the Rachmaninoff Prelude in D major, Op 23, No 4. There are several chords that span 10ths - and more - and it seems to me it would do a disservice to the sound Rachmaninoff want us to create if we don't hold all the notes of those chords. One holds with the pedal those one can't hold with the fingers.

It comes down to two very different standard notations :
1) arpeggiated chords where all the notes of the chord should be held for their face value
2) arpeggiated chords that are created by the insertion of "grace notes" before the final note of the chord. In those instances the grace notes are not held; only the final note should be held.
If one doesn't observe these differences conscientiously, why do they exist?

Regards,

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (AB Forum Recital, alans, Abby Pianoman, 41 invisible), 1518 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156321 Topics
2295801 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
4 minutes 31 seconds ago
Hoping for some suggestions/starting point for home keyboard
by Kubla
21 minutes 48 seconds ago
Brass
by Retsacnal
53 minutes 17 seconds ago
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
Today at 07:31 PM
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
Today at 06:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission