2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1205861 05/26/09 12:29 AM
OP Offline
I'm learning a Chopin's waltz at the moment, in Am, titled (like quite a few of his waltzes) "Valse Brillante". It is a moody, minor key piece - very far from what I would think of as a "brilliant" sound, so I find the title puzzling. If anyone could enlighten me as to the reason/history behind the title, I would be grateful.

Relatedly,in the Shirmer's Library edition I have, Chopin's waltzes have one of three titles: waltz, valse brillant, or grand valse brillant. I'm curious as to what the difference in title signifies.

E
E
The Grande Valse brillante is Chopin's Op. 18.

The one you're playing is the 2nd of his 3 'Valses brillantes', Op. 34.

I've no clue about the Op. 34, but the Op. 18 was supposedly Chopin's favorite (?). Hence the title.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Brillante" refers to a style of composition, usually signifying a showy piece with lots of rapid finger work.

This style was very popular with 19th Century audiences.

There were hundreds and probably thousands of Grande Valses Brillante and Grande Sonatas Brillante written.

The Chopin Waltzes Nos. 1, 2, 4, and 5 are definitely 'Brillante'.

Why he called No.3 'Brillante' I have no idea.

Valse Grande Misérable might have been more fitting.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think Chopin meant to say he was a brilliant composer.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/26/09 08:30 AM.
E
E
The pieces marked 'brillante' are mostly only his firsts.. Maybe he was trying to make it big in the music scene back then.. Guess that worked

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dannylux

Why he called No.3 'Brillante' I have no idea.

Valse Grande Misérable might have been more fitting.

Mel

Hah! laugh No kidding!

This piece always reminded me of a very poor, very old lady with a veil, in cold weather. Gorgeous melody, characteristic Chopin genius... but "Brilliante"?

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
gerg #1207426 05/28/09 12:05 PM
OP Offline
thanks for the replies everyone! So "brillant" is primarily describing the style as being showy, with rapid finger work.

ecthelion, I also noticed that the "valse brillantes" tended to be the earlier waltzs, and the later ones merely titled "Waltz". I wonder why the switch from French to English. Was the "brillante" dropped because these later waltzes don't fit that style, or does one simply not use "Brilliant Waltz" in English?

E
E
Originally Posted by MichaelR
I wonder why the switch from French to English. Was the "brillante" dropped because these later waltzes don't fit that style, or does one simply not use "Brilliant Waltz" in English?

Are you sure that the later waltzes are titled 'Waltz', in English rather than French? Because the titles can change with the publisher. It may be possible that the later ones were published in French as valses but your version might be English.

Could probably find out by checking out the original scores on IMSLP..

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Most of the Waltzes in IMSLP are from the 1894 Schirmer (ed. Mikuli) edition, not, then, from original sources.

According to Groves the Schirmer edition is based largely on Kistner, one of three German collected editions appearing about 1880. The other two are Breitkopf & Härtel and Peters.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #1207627 05/28/09 05:32 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
The Chopin's First Editions Online website shows the title of Valse used in the original French, German and English editions for all eight waltzes published during Chopin's lifetime.

As mentioned earlier by dannylux, "Brillant" refers to the musical Style Brillant popular in the early 19th century that incorporated bravura, brilliance and technical display. Many of Chopin's earlier opus numbers reflect its influence, notably the three Rondos, the Variations Op. 2, the Variations Op. 12, the Grande Fantaisie on Polish Airs Op. 13 and the Krakowiak Op. 14.

Chopin drifted away from Style Brillant as his own pianistic idiom matured. I believe that the use of "Brillant" for the Op. 18 and Op. 34 waltzes but none of the subsequent ones illustrates that shift. And though Op. 34 No. 2 is elegiac, it was published as part of a set with the relatively brilliant No. 1 and No. 3.

Steven

N
N
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think Chopin meant to say he was a brilliant composer.

This made my day.

Jack

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission