Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1204765 - 05/23/09 05:48 PM want to loosen up at the piano
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. Got some questions and some observations and generally want to chat about piano.

I'll introduce myself a little first? I'm in my thirties, Scottish, learned classical piano as a kid (to Grade 8, then did a diploma). At some point toward the end of my piano-lessons-time my teacher declared it was time I learned to improvise, that there was no such thing as a wrong note, and that I should play something. Well, sorry, but all those years of trying to play the right notes had an effect on me, and I never could really 'loosen up.' What I did learn was harmony, and I can harmonise given a melody and chords. Give me enough time and I'll work out my own chords, but I like mucking about with the 'Hits for Buskers' series.

Well, eventually I grew up, left home, did all the usual stuff, and what can I say? Went for many years without practicing my Hanon exercises.

I have a piano again now, and my interest in playing is revived. So partly I'm re-learning pieces I used to be able to play, but I would really like to get somewhere with the improvising that always eluded me.

I've taken up guitar (electric) and after just about 2 months could improvise quite happily on that. So this whole new world opened up to me (it's called 'blues') and I got myself this book - Blues Piano by Mark Harrison - which I've been learning from. All this theory and scales and techniques, and I love it, and how did I ever manage to play piano for so long without finding out about it???? Now I've nowhere near exhausted the book, but I'm still no-where closer to improvising. Plus, this is mainly fast-and-furious, and I would just like to be able to amble by, like what Sam does in Casablanca. And also, it would be cool to be able to do some jazz, and some rock, and generally be able to entertain people.

So, my question: where do I go from here? I've been lurking a bit here and noticed the Rockschool stuff mentioned, also a Jazz Piano book. Mark Harrison has a load of other books, and then there are loads more by other authors, but of the same Hal Leonard series. What would people here recommend?

Is there anything that will help me improvise? What I did on guitar was play up and down a blues scale with backing track till I felt comfortable, and then just choose a few notes to jam from. Does anyone find this works on piano too, or are there other techniques? I appreciate that there's more than one way to skin a cat, but I'd just like to hear from other people that have gone through a similar process.

Er - this is a rather long post, can you cope with some more?

Just a couple of observations I've had while trying to play blues - was wondering if anyone else had the same thing. First, the separation of the left and right hands - that I learned when I was 7 and had pretty much mastered by the time I was 8 - I've had to re-learn it all over again. Talk about autopilot for the left hand! It's just utterly maddening to have to go sooooo ssslllooowww through a single bar, that isn't really all that difficult, except that my right hand keeps trying to change at the same time as my left. dammit.

Also, having the minor third and then the major third in the same bar, in the same beat, one in the left, the other in the right - this just totally confuses my fingers. Even when I *know* what I want to play - I can hear it - my fingers just refuse to obey. They want to know - major or minor? - I can't have both.

OK, I think I've probably said enough for one night. Any thoughts?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

Piano & Music Accessories
#1204773 - 05/23/09 06:02 PM Re: want to loosen up at the piano [Re: ten left thumbs]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Welcome, ten -

There's a thread a little further down this forum called "How do you lose compulsion for full notation?" which didn't get a lot of traffic but had some good ideas (I'll admit, some of them from me smile ) But I suspect you've got a good start with at least the technical skills to do some improvising. Some of us are still learning those, too. Any way, check out the other thread and maybe something there will hit the nail for you. Otherwise, there are others who will chime in here with ideas I think.

Cathy

#1204800 - 05/23/09 07:17 PM Re: want to loosen up at the piano [Re: jotur]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Cathy, I'd browsed there a bit, and will check some of the things out.

Couple of questions: piano magic, is that: http://www.piano-magic.co.uk/news.html? Doesn't look right.

Edit: no, it must be this one:
http://www.pianomagic.com/PMMOcourse/whatispm.html

ABF - adult beginners forum? How do I get from there to the Autumn leaves thread? Can't seem to find my way about.

Edited by ten left thumbs (05/23/09 07:24 PM)

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1204809 - 05/23/09 07:38 PM Re: want to loosen up at the piano [Re: ten left thumbs]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Yes, pianomagic is the pianomagic.com link: http://www.pianomagic.com/

ABF is, yes, the adult beginners forum, although if you listen to the recital that's stickied at the top you'll find that our range of music varies widely.

The Autumn Leaves thread has fallen off the front page (at least, with my preference of 35 threads/page it has). I think the easiest way to get there from the first page of the ABF forum is to click on the "Important Topics" thread near the top, scroll down to "Study Groups", and click on the "jazz" link.

Sorry about the cryptic information. Hope you find something that's interesting.

Cathy

#1204989 - 05/24/09 07:45 AM Re: want to loosen up at the piano [Re: jotur]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Cathy, I think I'm getting somewhere now. Jazz study group sounds about right. Had a quick look on pianomagic - not to my taste.

The things I've found with playing blues (the separation of the left and right hands, and confusion over 3rds) does anyone else feel the same? The other thing I have trouble with is tremolos between the hands - just now sure what I'm doing.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1205217 - 05/24/09 06:45 PM Re: want to loosen up at the piano [Re: ten left thumbs]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

The things I've found with playing blues (the separation of the left and right hands, and confusion over 3rds) does anyone else feel the same?

Do you mean the clashes of the minor and major third? Like Eb in Cmajor? For some reason the sonority of the blues scales seems to work despite the dissonance but the most natural way to treat the blues scale during a regular 12 bar blues is to emphasize the non dissonant notes over each chord and build the phrases around those.
In a C major blues the most obvious notes to use would be G, C, Bb over the first C7 chord and when the chord changes to F7 you'd hover around C Eb F instead.
The A minor blues scale or pentatonic scale works really well in a Cmajor blues on a C7 chord, just as D minor works well over F7 and E minor over G7. G minor blues scale works OK over C7 as well if you omit the F or treat it with care. I think this is a pretty good basic approach to jazz as I see it; to get familiar with what upper chord structures and scales that fits certain chords and progressions.

Edited by KlinkKlonk (05/24/09 06:50 PM)

#1206048 - 05/26/09 11:00 AM Re: want to loosen up at the piano [Re: KlinkKlonk]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Klinkklonk I will try playing around with those notes.

But, yes, what I was meaning was when trying to follow the notes on the page, I consistently make mistakes with the 3rds. If I'm in G, for example, it's the constant flicker between Bb and B the confuses my fingers. One bar it's B. Next bar it's Bb. Next I get a grace note (Bb to B) and then I get a B in the left hand and a Bb in the right.

My head and my ear take in the fact that it's blues, and that's what it's about. But me fingers, just, don't! That's all.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, Al LaPorte, 46 invisible), 1671 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153579 Topics
2250828 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
04/19/14 01:17 PM
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission