Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1206110 - 05/26/09 12:44 PM Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Piano"
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Just found this amazing animated video over at YouTube.
All I can say is ... wow!

The music is by Yann Tiersen. I'm not familiar with his music but it sure goes well with the visuals here.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1206189 - 05/26/09 02:28 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Piano" [Re: eweiss]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
That's lovely Ed, thanks for posting.

#1206421 - 05/26/09 10:10 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Piano" [Re: Studio Joe]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Oh wow. I'm wiping away tears. So touching.

Deborah

#1206433 - 05/26/09 10:30 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Piano" [Re: gooddog]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I know. I was crying too. One of the most poignant shorts I've ever seen. And somewhat cute!

#1206974 - 05/27/09 05:18 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Piano" [Re: eweiss]
RobinL Offline

Over here in the UK it's been distributed to schools (I'm not precisely sure why, I think they show it and then ask the kids to write about it or discuss it). The tragedy is that the animator spent hours making sure the pianist was using the correct fingering and playing in time to the music, but then for the version they sent to schools they had to change the music for copyright reasons.

It's a fairly easy piece to play, but it stretches your hands a bit! The music is from the film Amelie.

#1206982 - 05/27/09 05:27 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Piano" [Re: RobinL]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ya. The first time I saw it, my jaw dropped. It really affected me. I like the music, but when you combine it with what you see in this video ... magic!

#1207061 - 05/27/09 07:27 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: eweiss]
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
OK. That got to me. Of course I was, in my late mother's old Southern expression, "born pretty close to the river." In other words, I tear up pretty easily.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen in court very often. grin It's hard to get weepy over business bankruptcy law.

The music was nice, in a repetitious kind of way. Very basic harmony, but nice.

Edited by wdot (05/27/09 07:28 PM)

#1207137 - 05/27/09 09:42 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: wdot]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bankruptcy law you say? You must be very busy these days! laugh

#1207148 - 05/27/09 10:14 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: eweiss]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
That was mindblowingly beautiful!

Thank you for posting it.

Although I play that piece, I have never seen the movie.

I will always see that animation in my mind, whenever I hear the music from now on.

#1207326 - 05/28/09 09:09 AM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: R0B]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
that s beautiful

is it me or the pianist looks like the elder richter?

#1207342 - 05/28/09 09:38 AM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: izaldu]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Thename of the piece is Comptine d'un Autre Été

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBZPa-kLLCE&feature=related

Edited by izaldu (05/28/09 09:42 AM)

#1208139 - 05/29/09 03:26 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: izaldu]
Chopin is up there Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Ohh, yes, I was thinking of posting this. I love this short, it makes me cry everytime. It's touching, and warm.

The piece is easy, if you get past the left hand stretches, which aren't that hard for me, because I've got somewhat big hands. I highly recommend it, it's quite fun to play.

And yes, the name's Comptine d'un Autre Été: L'ápres-midi.

Just for some completion. wink

Edited by Chopin is up there (05/29/09 03:26 PM)

Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor
Scriabin's Étude op. 2 no. 1

#1208164 - 05/29/09 03:58 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: Chopin is up there]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The scene where the old woman turns into a ghost gets me every time. And really, I think films, shorts, and cinema is the art of our times.

Music's great, but when you combine it with the visuals you see here, it's very, very powerful and moving!

#1208453 - 05/30/09 03:55 AM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: eweiss]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Sorry if this sounds mean, because that is not really my intent, but it appears that there is a market for the kind of noodling at the piano I used to do a lot, roughly from age 15 to 26. Even back then, some of the very few people who ever heard me do it liked it, but I thought it was fairly mindless (oops, delete...I don't think I can use this word here) junk that I did as a sort of sedative. Perhaps the time for that kind of music has come...but could I still respect myself if I did it and put it out into the world?

#1209967 - 06/01/09 07:57 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: wr]
Jacob777 Offline

Originally Posted By: wr
Sorry if this sounds mean, because that is not really my intent, but it appears that there is a market for the kind of noodling at the piano I used to do a lot, roughly from age 15 to 26. Even back then, some of the very few people who ever heard me do it liked it, but I thought it was fairly mindless (oops, delete...I don't think I can use this word here) junk that I did as a sort of sedative. Perhaps the time for that kind of music has come...but could I still respect myself if I did it and put it out into the world?

Exactly what do you get out of comments like this? This music touches people's hearts. I see no higher purpose for music.

This exact piece is what made me start playing the piano a couple of years ago for what it is worth. Guess I ought to be ashamed of myself ;-)

#1209969 - 06/01/09 08:09 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: Jacob777]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

No shame necessary Jacob777. That video (and the music) does touch people. No need for analysis here. No need for comparing it to the "classical repertoire." It stands on its own as the heart touching short it is.

What always gets me (and what I don't understand) is why people feel so threatened by those who like to "doodle" at the piano. As if we must all play Mozart, Beethoven, etc.

In fact, I encourage people to just sit down at the piano and play whatever comes to mind. It's very liberating! grin

#1209988 - 06/01/09 08:42 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: eweiss]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: eweiss
No shame necessary Jacob777. That video (and the music) does touch people. No need for analysis here. No need for comparing it to the "classical repertoire." It stands on its own as the heart touching short it is.

What always gets me (and what I don't understand) is why people feel so threatened by those who like to "doodle" at the piano. As if we must all play Mozart, Beethoven, etc.

In fact, I encourage people to just sit down at the piano and play whatever comes to mind. It's very liberating! grin

I hardly feel threatened by it, myself. As I said, I did a lot of it for years when I was younger (and so I know something about how it works). But I also know it is pretty insipid stuff compared to Mozart, Beethoven, etc., and it just amazes me that there is apparently such a large and enthusiastic fan base for it.

You may have noticed that this forum is mostly about ye olde classical, even if the forum name doesn't say that is what it is (and the business about the name not being clear about the nature of the forum has come up before as an issue). But there is a another forum specifically labeled as non-classical, which is sort of the big clue. So does it really surprise you that maybe some people here are a little impatient with new age-y stuff? I don't overtly hate it like some people here do, but this may not be the best place to discuss it.

#1209997 - 06/01/09 08:58 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: Jacob777]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jacob777

Exactly what do you get out of comments like this? This music touches people's hearts. I see no higher purpose for music.

This exact piece is what made me start playing the piano a couple of years ago for what it is worth. Guess I ought to be ashamed of myself ;-)

What I get out of it is letting people know what I am thinking about things, which I assume is pretty much the same thing you are doing. Is that a problem?

I really am wondering what it would feel like if I put my own mindless noodling out in the world and people thought it was a lot better music than I think it is. Maybe it wouldn't matter.

#1209998 - 06/01/09 09:01 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: wr]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Labeling this music as insipid is just inviting conflict. You don't like it. I get it. But ye olde classical isn't the only thing played on the piano so why compare in the first place?

And the fan base isn't as big as you think it is. There's a much larger classical music fan base than New Age ... me thinks.

#1210021 - 06/01/09 09:28 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: wr]
Jacob777 Offline

Well, some people try to take a second before expressing a thought to someone and think about whether it contributes anything of meaning to the individual it is being communicating to. Will the other person be enlarged, be happier, more creative because of it - isn't this also what we attempt when we play music for someone?

If the thought is nothing but an awkward attempt at establishing myself as an authority on what is and is not good music I would hope that I could keep it inside, as it contributes nothing of value to anyone. If a thought pollutes maybe we should try to repress it?

As for "mindless"? Well, maybe you just have to be a really basic creature with an IQ that is in the low range to enjoy it... But I hope you get what I get out of this from somewhere else. I would not want my worst enemy to leave this life without experiencing this feeling.

#1210029 - 06/01/09 09:39 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: eweiss]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Labeling this music as insipid is just inviting conflict. You don't like it. I get it. But ye olde classical isn't the only thing played on the piano so why compare in the first place?

And the fan base isn't as big as you think it is. There's a much larger classical music fan base than New Age ... me thinks.

Exactly.

It would be nice if people didn't feel the need to be so strict about "labeling" music to put it in its place and keep it from mixing. It's kind of like little kids not wanting their food to touch on their dinner plate. "Don't let Henry Purcell near Ben Folds, you know it's impossible for one person to enjoy them both, and make sure you keep the Elton John and U2 in seperate bowls...and don't you even think of bringing any Eminem in here, it'll spoil your appetite if you have it before Chopin!"

We all have music we do and don't like and there's no reason for any of us to be snobbish about it. I really enjoyed the film and just printed off the music so I can learn the song. Thanks for posting it! And yes, I have everything I mentioned in my ipod. Together. When I'm feeling dangerous I let it shuffle. grin

Music is supposed to be the universal language, we should all learn to speak it more than one way.

#1210076 - 06/01/09 10:37 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: eweiss]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Saying it is insipid is not saying I don't like it. It's a word that fairly accurately describes of how it sounds to me in relation to classical, i.e., relatively bland and kind of sparse in the way of musical content. I've been known to have "Music from the Hearts of Space" on the radio sometimes and enjoy it (I hope that is adequate proof that I am open to it - do you know that show?).

And you, my friend, were the one who brought up Mozart and Beethoven, not I. But the reason for continuing your comparison is because of the forum in which this thread was posted, since the Pianist Corner is pretty much a Mozart and Beethoven kind of place here at Piano World rather than a New Age kind of place. Somebody here occasionally redirects those who like New Age over to the (mis-named) Adult Beginners Forum, where they say the reception is much warmer.

Quote:

I don't know how big I think it is, I just know that I come across enthusiasts more often than I would have expected.

#1210088 - 06/01/09 11:03 PM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: wr]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

And you, my friend, were the one who brought up Mozart and Beethoven, not I. But the reason for continuing your comparison is because of the forum in which this thread was posted, since the Pianist Corner is pretty much a Mozart and Beethoven kind of place here at Piano World rather than a New Age kind of place. Somebody here occasionally redirects those who like New Age over to the (mis-named) Adult Beginners Forum, where they say the reception is much warmer.

But WR my friend, here's the description to the Pianist Corner ... "Welcome to The Pianist Corner. The place to discuss playing the piano. Feel free to talk about technique, performance, piano pieces, composers, competitions, etc."

I'm sorry but I don't see the "only classical" moniker here. And since I can't read a meta-message, I'll freely post the topic I posted here instead of where you think I should post it. In fact, you seem to be the only one having a problem with it.

#1210113 - 06/02/09 12:27 AM Re: Very Cool and Poignant Animated Short "The Pia [Re: eweiss]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

But WR my friend, here's the description to the Pianist Corner ... "Welcome to The Pianist Corner. The place to discuss playing the piano. Feel free to talk about technique, performance, piano pieces, composers, competitions, etc."

I'm sorry but I don't see the "only classical" moniker here. And since I can't read a meta-message, I'll freely post the topic I posted here instead of where you think I should post it. In fact, you seem to be the only one having a problem with it.

So, seeing the "Non-Classical" forum name on another forum here doesn't provide you with any clues? Oh, well, stick around long enough, and you'll see. I actually don't have a problem with your posting it here, but you and others seem to have a problem with what I have say about it.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (AmateurBob, AndrewAJC, AZ_Astro, 36251, 36 invisible), 1488 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155827 Topics
2288190 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New to the digital piano world! Can anyone help?
by blackwhitekeys
Today at 06:26 AM
Yamaha Swap For Roland ???
by musicmad
Today at 05:57 AM
midi over the internet
by chopin_r_us
Today at 04:56 AM
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission