Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1203446 - 05/21/09 01:25 PM questions about transcriptions
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have couple of questions...

1) when you transcrib do you base your accidentals on the key you are in or the chord you are current on?

For example you have a tune that's mostly a Cmin blues but you have a Bmaj7#11 in the middle.. would you respell Bb as A# to reflect that chord or stick with Bb?

2) how much do you guys transcribe, and how much do you guys transcribe. how often do you guys learn something without writing them down?

when I am focused I do about an hour a day, but if I have too many other things I have to work on, I won't transcribe for couple of weeks.. its like a cycle i guess.. I do at least 2 a month.

3) what if your ears and what you transcribe is way ahead of what you can do technically?

I can transcribe Kenny Kirkland's solo but I don't think I can play them at tempo yet... I can always transcribe easier solos by wynton kelly or someone else, but I've done plenty of those already and their playing won't be 'new' to me. I am hoping that eventually i will be able to play them.

4) how well can you transcribe solo piano or big band stuff, where there are multiple voices involved?

If I spend enough time I will be able to figure out all the notes played at the moment.. its so darn hard to hear more than 3 voices at the same time, I am starting to able to hear the notes that's "sandwitched" in between.. being able to hear them does give you a very different perspective on counterpoint

Piano & Music Accessories
#1203619 - 05/21/09 07:41 PM Re: questions about transcriptions [Re: etcetra]
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
Good questions.

I do a lot of transcribing, and the first question I'd ask is whether the BMaj7 chord should be spelled as a CbMaj7 chord. Spell the Maj7 and the #11 accordingly.

If the chord is a CbMaj7 (chromatically leading back to the Cmin), I'd spell the Maj7 as a Bb and the #11 as an F natural. If the tonality is established, though, as a BMaj, then I'd use the A# and and E#.

I always transcribe in terms of the tonality that we're in at that point. So if you're playing in the key of F and the next chord is a G7(#11), I'd use the C# for the #11.

If the music gets ahead of my ability to transcribe, I slow it down.

Regarding the multiple voices, I try to hear the intervals that are there and transcribe accordingly, using the scale of the tonality for the intervening notes.

I've seen transcriptions that were made by excellent transcriptionists, and there are always some errors, so I'd say that it's nearly impossible to transcribe an entire big band arrangement accurately.

Same with solo piano.

Edited by jjtpiano (05/21/09 07:45 PM)

#1203746 - 05/22/09 12:21 AM Re: questions about transcriptions [Re: jjtpiano]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

jjtpiano,

I agree mostly with what you are saying.. i guess a lot of it depends on whether the harmony is functional or not too. If its non-functional then sometimes there is no way to tell.

Also, I remember some people would prefer B maj 7 for sight reading sake. One of my teacher, who is a well known arranger encouraged students not to use things like Cb or G double flat, because it makes it needlessly harder for musicians to sight read.

as far as multiple voices are concerned, if I listen to it long enough i can eventually hear all the notes.. the 'soprano' voice in the chord is hardest to hear because they don't move very much and they are usually 'filler' notes. I read that herbie hancock listened to the Hi-Los, and being able to hear their harmony was a big part of his musical development.

"by the time I actually heard the Hi-Lo's, I started picking that stuff out; my ear was happening. I could hear stuff and that's when I really learned some much farther-out voicings -like the harmonies I used on 'Speak Like a Child' -just being able to do that"

It makes me wonder what kind ears these people have... it seems like they are freaking monsters in every aspect of musicianship smile

#1206504 - 05/27/09 12:52 AM Re: questions about transcriptions [Re: etcetra]
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
I've heard that point about not writing Cb or E#, etc., so I started to look for it in some pro big band charts I sometimes get to play.

In those, they write the correct note, using Cb, E#, Fb and B# when it's called for. Double flats and double sharps, though, are avoided.

Hearing the notes is a skill you can develop. I've been working through a book called "Hearing and Writing Music," by Ron Gorow, available on Amazon.com. It's helped my listening skills more than any other thing I've done.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, ABC Vermonter, Akshay, 36251, 53 invisible), 1639 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253308 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
04/24/14 05:49 PM
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
04/24/14 05:42 PM
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
04/24/14 05:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission