Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 77 of 191 < 1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1201526 - 05/18/09 02:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
dee180 Offline

Loc: NH
Hi Romolo - congrats on Little Brown Jug!!! How long did it take you?

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1201722 - 05/18/09 07:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
romolo Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks dee180...I'd say about 4 days

#1201775 - 05/18/09 09:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Wow, Romolo, that was quick! I'm still stumbling through it, although it IS getting better. I don't mind the occasional missed note, but there are still way too many pauses. Still, it's coming along WAY easier than "Good People". :-)

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1201850 - 05/18/09 11:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
romolo Offline

I can play of those pieces but at a okay pace...still working on both of them, trying to increase the tempo...especially LBJ.

#1201964 - 05/19/09 07:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
Wow, I'm really happy for the people who got "Little Brown Jug" down. I'm still on "Money Can't Buy Everything" so I'm still a long way off from you guys, but I'm already looking forward to LBJ! I started a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad I decided to get a teacher instead of striking out on my own. First, she was the one who introduced me to Alfred which I think is a great method book and her advice on playing are things that I would never have figured out on my own! So for those who are self-studying, I recommend getting a teacher or at least a good pianist friend to critique your playing. You'll be surprised at the little things you never noticed were wrong!
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

#1201994 - 05/19/09 08:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
dee180 Offline

Wow Romolo that was fast!!!!! How many hours do you practice a day? I do a half hour a day, more on the weekends.
I'm finally getting LBJ - lots of pauses though. It's the notes that I can't read that slow me down. I have to write the notes on the book otherwise I forget them. Ah....a true OLDER beginner.

#1202278 - 05/19/09 04:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
boogieman52 Offline

Loc: Italy
Working on On Top Of Old Smoky.
Nice these first broken chords: these arpeggios are simple, but effective.
In a couple of hours I hope to play OTOOS a little faster at a OK pace.

#1202283 - 05/19/09 04:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
romolo Offline

I'll practice about 20-30 minutes a day...but sometimes twice a day. My girlfriend, who's been play for years, tells me it's better to practice for about 20-30 minutes at a time. As long as you're practicing the right way. She says to go as slow as you have to make sure you're hitting the right notes. Then it'll just stick in your brain and you'll be able to play at a faster pace. Even if it's really slow where you can't even identify the song you're playing, it's ok as long as your hands and brain are introduced to it correctly, it'll stick. So I usually practice for about 20-30 minutes a day, but usually twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day if I have time. More on the weekends too. Perfect practice makes perfect she says. smile

#1202285 - 05/19/09 04:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
romolo Offline

I just started with "Chiapanecas"...it's not so bad...fairly easy compared to "Little Brown Jug" but fun to play. I woke up this morning and tried to play both "Good People" and "Little Brown Jug" at an increased pace and I did it. It really seems like the time between my practice sessions are a big help. Cuz yesterday I couldn't play either pieces at a fast pace, but then this morning, I could, on the first try. It's weird...lol

#1202610 - 05/20/09 07:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
dee180 Offline

That's good advice, Romolo. When I start a new piece, I'm painfully slow - you wouldn't even know what I'm playing. Then I get the notes down and then I speed it up.
LBJ is getting better and better. Still hate it though smile

#1202776 - 05/20/09 12:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
MarkInBayArea Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'm working on O Sole Mio now. It looks a little easier than LBJ and Chiapanecas. I still have trouble with measure 5 on LBJ. For some reason I often substitute measure 9 for measure 5. It is good to have someone else hear your playing occasionally. They can point out trouble spots or help polish other areas.

#1202958 - 05/20/09 06:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MarkInBayArea]
romolo Offline

Measure 5 of LBJ also gave me trouble...so I practiced that separately for a bit...very slowly...over and over again.
MarkInBayArea...I did the exact same thing with substituting measure 9 for 5. I still do it sometimes. I was wondering if others did the same. smile

#1203110 - 05/20/09 11:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: romolo
Measure 5 of LBJ also gave me trouble...so I practiced that separately for a bit...very slowly...over and over again.
MarkInBayArea...I did the exact same thing with substituting measure 9 for 5. I still do it sometimes. I was wondering if others did the same. smile

Yep, me to... drives me crazy! Maybe someone who knows why will chime in.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1203140 - 05/21/09 12:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I do it too, because the rest of both lines are the same, and my hands just go on autopilot.

#1203266 - 05/21/09 08:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
dee180 Offline

Yup, me too

#1203431 - 05/21/09 12:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
boogieman52 Offline

Loc: Italy
I have just started the Alfred's Sacred Book 1.
The first pieces are very easy, but the music and the words are so inspiring that I do love them.
I think I am going to have a great time with this little precious book!

#1204194 - 05/22/09 05:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: boogieman52]
romolo Offline

I miss the being at the beginning of the book when it only took a 15 mins to get through a piece and move on to the next page. frown

#1204212 - 05/22/09 06:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: romolo
I miss the being at the beginning of the book when it only took a 15 mins to get through a piece and move on to the next page. frown

That's for sure! The last two took me/are taking me forever. I think the last several pieces in the book are going to take me longer than everything that I've done so far.

I played "Good People" and "Little Brown Jug" for a friend yesterday. She's the only person I would play them for. We bought our first keyboards together, and she is struggling with hands together and says she is giving up and going to just play RH melody and LH chords. So she knows where I'm coming from and didn't laugh at my playing.

#1204235 - 05/22/09 07:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
romolo Offline

Aw...she can't give up now.:(

#1204487 - 05/23/09 07:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
dee180 Offline

I am done done done with LBJ woooohoooo!!!!!! smile Teacher says I have the right melody and the correct finger positions, now to just speed it up. But, I'm on to the next one - the Mexican hand clapping (forgot the name). I discovered that I really love the broken chords. That's why I didn't mind practicing On Top of Old Smokey.
Anybody else like the broken chords?
And I agree with Romolo - back in the day - when I could play a "song" in 10 minutes smile Of course, it's really nice to look back and see how far I've come.
Gram - tell your friend not to give up!

#1204570 - 05/23/09 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
romolo Offline

I agree with you dee180...I like playing the broken chords too. I think they're easier and they help with the beat. I first discovered that with "Why am I blue?" They act as a beat and make playing the melody a little easier.

#1205100 - 05/24/09 01:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
romolo Offline

CHIAPANECAS is starting to drive me crazy...grrr
I thought it'd be easier than LITTLE BROWN JUG but it's not frown
I got the first part it down but the middle part is giving me problems.
I can't wait till I'm done this first book...lol

#1205267 - 05/24/09 09:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
BarbVA Offline

Well, I'm through Rock it Away, but have to admit that Lullaby on the prior page still needs a little work, not that its hard, just that its so boring, if I practice it once in a setting I'm done. I liked Cafe Vienna and Rock it Away on the other hand.

The next song coming up in the AI1 is Joy to the World, not so much looking forward to that with summer just kicking off (might have enjoyed it closer to the holidays). So I'm not pushing myself to move on at the moment. Instead I'm spending more time on the Alfred's Greatest Hits, have the Rainbow Connection down pretty good, but I want to run it by my teacher on Wednesday as I feel like I have a few things off and don't want to make the wrong corrections. And still plundering through Desperado in the Rock book I bought, I think its actually a level or so ahead of where I'm at, but I'm making progress slowly and enjoy it, so it motivates me.

One thing I've noticed though, is as I'm progressing to larger spans between notes, if I go back to the easier songs where your fingers don't skip a key, I'm all over the place missing the notes accidently stretching too far. So I'm finding it important to keep going back to train my mind and hands only to stretch that extra distance when needed.

#1205485 - 05/25/09 01:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: BarbVA]
romolo Offline

If anyone here has a piano teacher, could you please share any of the tips he/she gives you for us who are just learning by ourselves...that would be greatly appreciated. Anything tips really, big or small. Thanks in advance. smile

#1205565 - 05/25/09 03:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
marimorimo Offline

@Romolo: Here are some things my teacher told me that I would never have noticed by myself:

1) I was playing the notes 'disjointedly' (note per note) until she pointed out that notes should be played 'connected,' even though there is no legato marking on the piece.

2) When playing the left hand with repeated notes (such as in 'Money Can't Buy Everything') my right hand starts playing disjointedly, imitating my left hand (Of course, when you repeat a note you can't play legato!).

3) I was having trouble with NO. 2 until she told me to look at my hands while playing. Now the problem is mostly solved (and I don't need to look at my hands anymore, either).

4) She taught me how to count to the rhythm (I know this is basic, but to a rhythm-challenged person like me, it's a miracle I could even follow a beat! :D)

5) I should press on the keys harder. Probably due to my unweighted keyboard (which I am soon about to ditch for a much better DP :)) my touch is equivalent to 'p' (piano) on an acoustic.

Well you probably know all of these already, but those are what I could remember..and today's my 3rd lesson! laugh
30th Week Playing Piano

#1205629 - 05/25/09 05:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
romolo Offline

Thank you very much...I'll keep all of those tips in mind when practicing. I don't have a teacher so I'm just learning with this book but helpful tips like yours are appreciated. Thanks again

#1205960 - 05/26/09 08:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: romolo]
dee180 Offline

Romolo = My teacher pointed out that my fingers were not close enough to the black keys making it difficult to go from chord to chord. She especially thought it would be helpful with LBJ and it was!

#1206455 - 05/26/09 10:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Ok, here is my Jericho... on to the next one.

http://www.box.net/shared/v4k4ycelbi

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1206489 - 05/27/09 12:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
BarbVA Offline

Sounds good Carl, thanks for sharing.

#1206608 - 05/27/09 07:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: BarbVA]
marimorimo Offline

My current keyboard doesn't have a pedal, but my teacher made me practice with an imaginary one for "Harp Song" (was it?) and it was quite a struggle coordinating my foot with my hands! I was all over the place, LOL. I'm going to practice it properly when I get my Casio PX-720 (with weighted keys and pedals) hopefully later this week.

I'm currently on the 1st Hanon exercises and a few variations of that exercise taught to me by my teacher laugh

Just wondering....did the Hanon exercise help any of you in any way?
30th Week Playing Piano

Page 77 of 191 < 1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (bennevis, alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, beet31425, briansaddleback, 13 invisible), 1121 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251536 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission