2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 77 of 452 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Roger, I love "Simple Gifts". I first heard it at a concert by our town band, and then came across it in one of my friend's piano books. Her version was too complicated for me at the time, so I was thrilled when I found it in my Faber's Adult book recently. It's a pretty tune. I've stumbled through the two Blues numbers until I managed to get them down reasonably well, but I wasn't too crazy about them.

Jason, looking forward to adding you to our group when your book comes. I think you will like it.

KaylaX, congratulations on getting the hang of "Blow the Man Down". That was a big milestone for me, and I play it frequently just so I don't forget how to do it. The next few pieces in Alfred are a little easier than that, but they will present some of their own challenges in moving your hand around a little. I think you will like most of them. "Trepak" sounds like fun - I think I have a simplified version of it in one of my Bastien supplemental books. I haven't played from that book in a while. Maybe I will dig it out tomorrow and see if I can play it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
mom3gram,

I actually was starting "Blow the man down" on the 31st. I am still working on it. But my husband says its sounding better. Now I just need to get it up to speed. Its a tricky little piece but its fun. Its nice to have those little challenges here and there. I almost have my simplified version of "Trepak" down too. I also have thrown in, just for fun, "This little heart of mine" and " Jesus loves me". They are all simplified version from this website I found:

www.makingmusicfun.net

Just some fun little vacation pieces that I have been playing around with. Oops I think ive mentioned that website earlier....

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
L
L
Happy New Year everyone,

I am very new to Piano World. And I must say, after reading one of the many threads on this site, I am very excited to see peoples love and passion to play the piano. I just recently purchased a Yamaha Clavinova digital piano and am just fiddling with the keys at the moment, (all i know are the major scales, lol!) All i have is one semester of piano from ....years ago. I plan on learning the piano on my own, at least for a year or two. I have heard so much about Alfred's Adult course, especially the All-in-One book with CD. So, I will be going out to pick it up shortly! Just one question though, I hear often about a supplimental book, can anyone tell me what that is and how its used??

luvrofkeys

In all thine getting....get understanding!
Checking in with my progress or lack of. I'm moving really slowly...only on page 35. Even though I'm still practicing every day it's getting tough to keep up motivation when I can't seem to get the bass clef correct. *sighs*

Not giving up though..just thinking my penname should have been turtle. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't worry about it, timeturner. Slow is good - you don't miss anything that way. And if you have gotten up to page 35, then you HAVE made progress. Most of the people who started with me last February are on to book 2 now, and I've still got a ways to go in Book 1, but it's okay because I am enjoying where I'm at and I'm actually learning to play piano. Take it at your own pace and enjoy the learning process. You are doing great!

Here is a link where you can find a free tutorial that helps learn the notes:
http://www.emusictheory.com/practice.html
There is one for note names, and one for finding notes on the keyboard that I've used with some success.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by luvrofkeys:
Happy New Year everyone,

I am very new to Piano World. And I must say, after reading one of the many threads on this site, I am very excited to see peoples love and passion to play the piano. I just recently purchased a Yamaha Clavinova digital piano and am just fiddling with the keys at the moment, (all i know are the major scales, lol!) All i have is one semester of piano from ....years ago. I plan on learning the piano on my own, at least for a year or two. I have heard so much about Alfred's Adult course, especially the All-in-One book with CD. So, I will be going out to pick it up shortly! Just one question though, I hear often about a supplimental book, can anyone tell me what that is and how its used??

luvrofkeys
Welcome luvrofkeys, and congratulations on your new acquisition of the Yamaha Clavinova. It's wonderful that you already know your major scales.

Supplimental books, from what I've read are music books that you can use along with and in conjuntion with your method books in order to add variety of pieces of music to your learning repertoire.

Following are just a few examples of these books: Alfred's Greatest Hits, Hymns, Christmas, etc. There are many more available within the link below.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/enter...cid=435109222&dist=S&SR=6720e83e

Enjoy,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
L
L
Key Notes, thank you very much for the info. And the link to SheetMusic is a Plus.

In all thine getting....get understanding!
D
D
As an update, I have now moved onto Lullaby, Rock it away, and Joy to the world.
Lullaby, finding a little tricky, but it is coming along.
Rock it away, I think that is one I will have to work hard at it to get it close to being reasonable, never mind being acceptable laugh
Joy to the world started that tonight, that appears like it will go quite well.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great job Dave123! Congrats on all of your wonderful progress.

I love Joy to the World, and have made the same observations regarding Lullaby. While the tempo is quite slow, (Andante-at a walking pace (76–108 bpm) according to Wikipedia, I find it to be quite a challenge to play it well also. laugh

I'm sure you'll lay that Rock it Away down very soon as well. thumb

Play on!

Key Notes smile

D
D
Thank you for the comments Key notes. I got off track for a little while. Now I am getting back to more work from Alfred's, but still following my teachers direction also. I am not sure how others find tempo and getting a piece up to speed, but I find that the most challenging of all.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I found "Lullaby" to be challenging too.
Loved "Joy to the World" and played it a lot between fall and Christmas. I played it from memory in Guitar Center when I was shopping for my digital piano.
Rock it Away was the first of the "bluesy" pieces, and still the only one that I can play decently.

Can-Can is beginning to sound recognizeable. I think I've even played it once or twice without hitting a wrong note. Now to get the tempo to come out even, and maybe a little faster. Okay, maybe a lot faster.

In addition to my Alfred All-in-One, I'm playing pieces from:
Alfred Adult Pop Song Book Level 1
Faber Adult Book 1

I got the Pop Song Book and the Greatest Hits for Christmas, but I haven't worked on the Greatest Hits yet, other than to noodle around with the first song for a few minutes on Christmas Day.

I think I have enough to keep me busy.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dave123, I don't believe that you can be that misguided or get that "off track" when you are having a good and qualifying teacher by your side to guide you. I would like to believe that all of the time we invested as well as all of the good instructions you are getting will never go to waste. Having a teacher will certainly help make you progress not just faster, but hopefully better as well.

Yes, I hear you regarding tempos. Although I try to follow their recommendations and notations as best as I can, I often find myself wondering (well...sometime I actually do know), wether I'm going too fast or too slow also, not to mention the varying dynamics throughout a piece, of how f, mf, pp, p, etc. we should be making it as well. mad But I guess that's all part of the challenging fun. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi mom3gram, You've always been a super busy and talented woman from what I've read so far, one of many on this forum whom I look up to for inspirations and moral supports, so keep up the great work! thumb

I would like to get that Greatest Hits book sometime down the road, that is if I don't throw in the towel, or fall off the piano wagon first. laugh

Key Notes smile

HI Everyone, and Happy New Year,

I havent touched my piano for about a week now. So I guess you could say that ive fallen off of the piano wagon...( ive tinkered for a few minutes everyday but just was not inspired to put in a full practice session).

My piano gets tuned today so im very excited about that. Im sure it will revive my spirits. Ive been in a piano slump. My teacher has me working out of Fabers all in one book and im at a stuck point so ive dragged out my Alfreds book to go along with it so I can join this thread. At Christmas vacation I left off trying to play "Blow the man down" and I think ive been blown down. I can play it at a slow tempo but trying to get it up to speed is tricky. Wish me luck!!!!!

And speaking of Alfreds greatest hits. I have that book. I started that book a few months back and gave up after I could not for the life of me tackle "Its a small world", the last few measures kept throwing me for a loop. Ive got the first 4 pieces in the book tackled. Then I skipped to "Its a small world" and that where I stopped. So it will be nice to know if anyone else starts up with the book.

What else is everyone working on besides Alfreds. Im looking for a new side piece to play with. Santa gave me some music but its all too hard.

And my teacher is really no help. She never suggests pieces for me to play, I have to find new music on my own. She will suggest a book here and there and then tell me to find something to play in it. She is not very inspiring either, I feel like im kinda on my own, and I just play for her once a week and she tells me if im playing something incorectly. My husband says I get what I pay for. Its kinda sad, but she is sweet, and its nice to check in with someone on a weekly basis. So if anyone has any fun suggestions im all ears. Im looking for something smooth, or something like Saties gymnopedie No1 but not so difficult.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post smile
Bye for now KaylaX (formerly Aspenxtreme)

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
KaylaX, it sounds like you are disappointed in your piano class. On the other hand, many adult beginners want to be able to choose their own music. It would be nice if she gave you a little more guidance though. Are you thinking about changing teachers?

Blow the Man Down - my former nemesis! I worked hard and long before I could play it reasonably well. Keep working at it.

What are you stuck at in Faber? I'm only up to Simple Gifts, but I like to know what land mines there are ahead of me. :-)

I received the Greatest Hits and the Alfred Pop Songbook for Christmas. The Pop book looked easier, so I started with that one. I've only gone through 2 songs so far. Over the Rainbow was very easy (too easy really), and You Are My Sunshine was a little harder, but doable. The next one (I forget what song it is) looks difficult, but I haven't tried it yet. I have too much to work on now already.

I'll let you know when I decide to work on the Greatest Hits book. There are some nice songs in there that should be fun to play.

I don't really have any suggestions for anything outside of Alfred or Faber for you, but I'll bet you will get lots of suggestions from some of the more "advanced beginner beginners".

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Mom3gram,

I am dissappointed with my piano teacher. And she is my second. There is just no guidance, no lesson plans, she does say im doing well, and she is very sweet, but there is just no real encouragement or suggestions of stuff to play. And ive tried to talk to her about it and we really got no-where. She just wants to do what I want to do. And how do I know what to do if I dont know. Does that make sense? Anyway, it boils down to the fact that I live in a small town, we dont have any other teachers, and to find a new one would require more money, and driving 45 min into the next town for a 1/2 hr lesson that would cost more like $35. per 1/2 hr. I dont have that kind of money right now. Anyway, so im making do with what I have. And I figure im better off than some, and I will just make the best of what I have. And at least I have the forum, and all its great helpfull members. There is another member here that is a teacher and she is a great help. Her words are worth gold to me.

Well, back to playing, Lets see in Fabers im stumped by page 106"Summer mountain rain",I can play it but it just doesnt flow right for me, and im noot understanding what the whole point is with pentascales. Its the "Why" factor. Why do I need to know these.

So im back to "Blow the man down", Alfreds book seems to flow better than Fabers. Alfreds makes semse to me. Lets see, you are on page 72 then. I liked "Simple gifts", I played that for my recital. Its cute!!!. I also like "Theme by Mozart" on page 94. You will like it smile .

Well, maybe ill have a look at the pop book that you have next time im in a music store (we dont have a music store here). The next time I get into town.

I better git, my coffee is calling me. My tuner comes at 11-ish this morning. Im excited laugh .

KaylaX cool

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
D
D
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Dave123, I don't believe that you can be that misguided or get that "off track" when you are having a good and qualifying teacher by your side to guide you. I would like to believe that all of the time we invested as well as all of the good instructions you are getting will never go to waste. Having a teacher will certainly help make you progress not just faster, but hopefully better as well.

Yes, I hear you regarding tempos. Although I try to follow their recommendations and notations as best as I can, I often find myself wondering (well...sometime I actually do know), wether I'm going too fast or too slow also, not to mention the varying dynamics throughout a piece, of how f, mf, pp, p, etc. we should be making it as well. mad But I guess that's all part of the challenging fun. smile
Sometime I use phrases that are a poor choice, and not really what I mean in a literal sense. Thats my problem, I often land myself in trouble for it. shocked
I went through a spell where i felt I was lacking direction, now I know how my teacher was teaching me, I feel will make the experience better for me.
Now I get to follow his direction, and he likes to take a couple of pieces at a time with attention to detail, ultimately I can't see how I can loose, especially now he allows me to choose the ones I want to learn, providing it isn't too advanced for me.
I have noticed I am coming up to in Alfred's book the C scale. With my teacher he is really into scales I am now on the B major scale legato, staccato, triads, and inversions. He claims ultimately scales will help me learn to play better than any other single thing. I just put blind faith into that. As you can see even though I may come across as somewhat negative, things are actually quite positive right now.
I decided to continue on my own with Alfred's as I do feel it is a very good course that teaches many techniques that I need to learn.
I do try to follow the notations like yourself, although I rarely have a problem with going to fast, I am normally to slow. I have to raise the tempo with some of the pieces. Sometimes I have the tempo and speed going through my head and try to attain that, I think that could be a mistake on my part in doing that. I agree it is all part of the challenging fun.

D
D
Originally posted by KaylaX:
Mom3gram,

I am dissappointed with my piano teacher. And she is my second. There is just no guidance, no lesson plans, she does say im doing well, and she is very sweet, but there is just no real encouragement or suggestions of stuff to play. And ive tried to talk to her about it and we really got no-where. She just wants to do what I want to do. And how do I know what to do if I dont know. Does that make sense? Anyway, it boils down to the fact that I live in a small town, we dont have any other teachers, and to find a new one would require more money, and driving 45 min into the next town for a 1/2 hr lesson that would cost more like $35. per 1/2 hr. I dont have that kind of money right now. Anyway, so im making do with what I have. And I figure im better off than some, and I will just make the best of what I have. And at least I have the forum, and all its great helpfull members. There is another member here that is a teacher and she is a great help. Her words are worth gold to me.

As you can see from my previous post I did have, some issues with my teacher, in the fact I was confused on the direction we was going in. Maybe ask her some questions and that may help in how she feel you should proceed. I don't think it is worth discussing things with your teacher late in the lesson as things are winding down, concerns may get short circuited. I have to sympathize with the teachers in the respect they are probably more in tune with teaching younger people. As adults it may be a little intimidating for them, in my case I have kids older than he is. I think it is in your best interest to get the issues resolved, (non confrontational of course). I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents to that

Dave 123,

Of course I dont mind you adding in your 2 cents. I havent decided what im going to do about the teacher issue. I just called and switched my lessons to twice a month. I figure it gives me more time to decide what to do. I do have a lead on a new possible teacher thats not too far away. I have e-mailed her. So we shall see what happens. Anyway, back to piano playing.

My piano got tuned yesturday so Im excited to get back on track. My piano sounds so much better. The notes are allot crisper. I can hear the difference, although my tuner said that it wasnt too out of tune.

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Dave123:
Originally posted by Key Notes:
[b] Dave123, I don't believe that you can be that misguided or get that "off track" when you are having a good and qualifying teacher by your side to guide you. I would like to believe that all of the time we invested as well as all of the good instructions you are getting will never go to waste. Having a teacher will certainly help make you progress not just faster, but hopefully better as well.

Sometime I use phrases that are a poor choice, and not really what I mean in a literal sense. Thats my problem, I often land myself in trouble for it. shocked
I went through a spell where i felt I was lacking direction, now I know how my teacher was teaching me, I feel will make the experience better for me.
Now I get to follow his direction, and he likes to take a couple of pieces at a time with attention to detail, ultimately I can't see how I can loose, especially now he allows me to choose the ones I want to learn, providing it isn't too advanced for me.
I have noticed I am coming up to in Alfred's book the C scale. With my teacher he is really into scales I am now on the B major scale legato, staccato, triads, and inversions. He claims ultimately scales will help me learn to play better than any other single thing. I just put blind faith into that. As you can see even though I may come across as somewhat negative, things are actually quite positive right now.
I decided to continue on my own with Alfred's as I do feel it is a very good course that teaches many techniques that I need to learn.
I do try to follow the notations like yourself, although I rarely have a problem with going to fast, I am normally to slow. I have to raise the tempo with some of the pieces. Sometimes I have the tempo and speed going through my head and try to attain that, I think that could be a mistake on my part in doing that. I agree it is all part of the challenging fun. [/b]
thumb

Page 77 of 452 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission