2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 76 of 452 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 451 452
D
D
Hi everyone,

I remembered i started my 1st post here and now i'm back to check things out. By the way I didnt finish this book, left a few pages to complete it and move on to more technical and classical stuffs. Nonetheless, I'm still playing these pieces as and when, and wonder what the favorite pieces among posters.

Well i wasn't sure myself but i always play Little Brown Jug, Chiapanceas and the all time favorite by my adiuence - On top of Old Smoky.

What about the rest of you?

wj3 Offline
Hi davinci, I am still havent finished book one also, as I have been working on my Bach studies. My favorites are Greenselves, O Solo Mio, Scarborough Fair, The Entertainer and Amazing Grace. I havent polished Amazing Grace though. I have been planning to go back and finish book one and maybe even start book two.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
D
D
Hi wjs,

I'm also doing Bach. Among your list i played greensleeve and was half way working on The Entertainer but never complete it after i left for a new teacher. Which piece among your list has a bigger "Punch"? - more enjoyable if that's the right word to describe. I find greensleeve a bit dull for me. I do wanna complete my alfred but chances are my teacher is not going to go through these with me. It has to be self studied.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm only up to "Can-Can", so my favorites would be easier than the ones mentioned above.

My favorites - "Lullaby", "Joy to the World", "Cockles and Mussels", and "On Top of Old Smokey". Also, a simple version of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" that I got from the Free Piano Music! site.

I can't tell if "Can-Can" will be one of my favorites yet because it still sounds awful. LOL

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
wj3 Offline
Hi again Davinci. I guess The Entertainer and Amazing Grace would pack the most punch.. I especially like the arrangement of Amazing Grace. My teacher has me working on Bach. We are working though 1st lessons in Bach, but as an aside I am working on a harder version of The Entertainer, on my own. It is the complete song.

mom3gram. You are starting to get into some fun songs. The Can-Can will come along....

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally posted by Davinci:
Hi everyone,

I remembered i started my 1st post here and now i'm back to check things out. By the way I didnt finish this book, left a few pages to complete it and move on to more technical and classical stuffs. Nonetheless, I'm still playing these pieces as and when, and wonder what the favorite pieces among posters.

Well i wasn't sure myself but i always play Little Brown Jug, Chiapanceas and the all time favorite by my adiuence - On top of Old Smoky.

I haven't worked with Alfred's as much lately, my new teacher had a change of direction for me, Now I am working on things he wants me to do and a couple of pieces he is working me through. He is big on scales and I practice them often. I am also working on "can you feel the love tonight" from the lion King. Recently I decided to continue the Alfred's course on my own and am working on 'Lullaby'

R
R
I like to play Alpine Melody and Lavender's Blue before I get started on the section I am working on. Now that Lullaby and Cafe Vienna are starting to sound a whole lot better they might become my new warm up songs.

Unfortunately I hit a stumbling point one I got to the blues pieces; I am just not a big fan.They are most likely not going to get as polished as a few other pieces.

Originally posted by Davinci:
Hi everyone,

A
A
I like playing most of the songs from "Got those Blues" on -- just finished learning Amazing Grace last couple of weeks, and it's still not as good as it could be, but today, I'm beginning book 2. I love to play The Entertainer, Raisins and Almonds, Scarborough Fair, Greensleeves. For some reason, Chiapanceas has always been difficult, and I had to push to move on from there. I like O Sole Mio, too.

Alfred's All In On Book 3
Sheherezade page 44
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
RyanJ, I wasn't crazy about any of the blues pieces so far either, and I see that there are a few more of them after I finish "Can-Can". I'm not really looking forward to them, but I've heard "The Entertainer" and "Raisins and Almonds" from Alfred1 on youtube, and they sound really good so I'm looking forward to starting those.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
HI Everyone,

Some of you may know me as Aspenxtreme, Anyway, Ive been playing since April. Im now withmy second teacher andshe has me using Fabers All in one. But!!Im not to excited about the direction that the book has gone and im now turning towards Alfreds All in one. So I think I will work out of both books for now. Fabers for my teacher, and Alfreds for me. I really like the fact that Alfreds has this thread and group of people so if you guys dont mind id like to join in?????

Ive been working on the book over the Holiday break and im now on page 77, "Standing in the need of prayer".

I also like the fact that there is a book 2 & 3. Faber does have a book 2 but it moves on into "lead sheets and im not interested in moving in that direction.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a wonderfull holiday.........KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi KaylaX (AspenX)! Why the name change? I really liked Standing in the Need of Prayer. It was fun to play. I work out of both books also, although I'm only on P. 71 in Faber and much farther along in Alfred. I personally like Alfred better - at least right now, but I think a lot of the teachers like the Faber series for kids better, so they start their adults in Faber also. Working out of both books will just give you more variety, and each book will probably cover a few things that the other missed. Glad to see you back.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Morning mom3gram,

I like that piece on pg 71 in the Fabers book. I would like to find a longer version of it ("Gavotte") someday. Im on pg 105 "Sleeping beauty Waltz". I have enjoyed the book up until just about now. Im about to get into penta-scales and whole steps and half steps. Kinda boring and it doesnt really make a whole lotta sense to me (the penta-scales). I like Alfreds because I think its layed out better and in some parts it makes more sense to me. Alfreds seems to focus allot more on chords (which is what I didnt like in the beginning) but I am now beginning to like them. I guess we have the best of both worlds, working out of both books laugh

KaylaX

Oh, I finished "Standing in need of prayer last night", I like it. Its a pretty piece. Im not looking forward to the next two pages at all. "Hanon" kinda scares me eek , and I usually prefer to stay away from anything that is labeled Aerobics....finger excercise or otherwise...hee hee smile , but I will tackle it...one measure at a time. smile

BTW...I changed my name because I wanted something different from my e-mail addy. Thats All!!!

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
R
R
KaylaX, don't worry about the Hanon exercises, they are surprisingly straightforward. Way scarier than it turns out.

Originally posted by KaylaX:

Im not looking forward to the next two pages at all. "Hanon" kinda scares me eek , and I usually prefer to stay away from anything that is labeled Aerobics....finger excercise or otherwise...hee hee smile , but I will tackle it...one measure at a time.

J
J
I assume everyone on this thread would recommend I pick up this book. I am 33 and I just bought a Petrof Upright for my wife and I, she played as a child and after two days is already ripping off noticeable pieces of music (Jealous). I have never played an instrument, but I would really like to learn the Piano. I have no training, and need to start at the beginning. Is this the right book for me? Here is what I found: A1 Books - Alfreds Basic Adult If you feel this is where I should start, can someone let me know if I am buying the right ISBN #?? Thanks, J

D
D
Originally posted by Jason G:
I assume everyone on this thread would recommend I pick up this book. I am 33 and I just bought a Petrof Upright for my wife and I, she played as a child and after two days is already ripping off noticeable pieces of music (Jealous). I have never played an instrument, but I would really like to learn the Piano. I have no training, and need to start at the beginning. Is this the right book for me? Here is what I found: A1 Books - Alfreds Basic Adult If you feel this is where I should start, can someone let me know if I am buying the right ISBN #?? Thanks, J
Hi and welcome to the thread, I believe that the book you are looking at is similar to the one most of us are using, the Adult all in one course most of us have http://www.allegromusiconline.com/M...mp;Store_Code=AMO&Category_Code=AAOA
I believe the difference is there is more theory in the all in one course. I am thinking the book you are looking at will work too. Someone please correct me if I am wrong

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Here are the ISBNs for Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course:

ISBN 9780882848181 (just book, no CD)

ISBN 9780882849317 (book with CD)

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
R
R
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd check in and let you know how I'm doing. I'm on the blues numbers in Alfred's -- Got Those Blues and Chasing the Blues Away. I'm doing OK on those, but what I'm really excited about is a new book I got yesterday at Borders. It's called How To Play From a Fake Book by Blake Neely. The author does a really good job, IMO, of explaining the concepts of building chords, chord inversions, etc. I've always kind of had the general idea in my head, but could never really grasp it. He has it laid out pretty clearly, and already I've figured out how to make all the major chords and am playing inversions on simple I, IV and V chords. If I can keep up with this I think it's really going to help. Plus, he starts you right off in other keys besides C. I learned a really cool song called Simple Gifts that I'd never heard of, and can almost play it up to speed using different inversion of C, F and G. Anyone else play this song?

Thanks,

Rodger

J
J
Originally posted by tangleweeds:
Here are the ISBNs for Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course:

ISBN 9780882848181 (just book, no CD)

ISBN 9780882849317 (book with CD)
Thanks, Just ordered it online, should be here in a few. I will drop in from time to time to update on progress. Thanks a bunch.

J

Rodger,

I ran into that song a few weeks back in my Faber and Faber all in one book. Its a fun song. I also downloaded a free copy of it at this site makingmusicfun.net

Its not in lead sheet format though.

I havent gotten to the Blues numbers yet in Alfreds. Im at the Hanon excercises on page 78.

Is anyone else out there around page 78??

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
Its me again,

I am now on "Blow the man down". Wow!!! This one is a little tricky i must say. I hope to have it down by tomorrow, we shall see. But for the rest of the night im going to take a breather and work on a very simplified version of Tchaikovsky's "Trepak" Russian Dance from the "Nutcracker".

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
Page 76 of 452 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission