Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 78 of 191 < 1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1206782 - 05/27/09 12:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Romolo: Here's some basic tips, having not seen or heard you play...

It's very helpful to do a couple exercises with each song as you're learning to read rhythms & music.

1) Go through the song and name the notes (out loud, not in your head). Your own voice is one of the best ways for you to learn and remember, and of course you want to learn to read those notes as quickly and easily as you can!

2) Count out loud and tap the rhythm on your lap with your right and left hands.

3) Count out loud during your practice; whether you work on hands separate or hands together.

Watch out for tension in your wrists, hands, fingers, and upwards in your shoulders and neck. Many people tense when they are concentrating and if you pay attention you can avoid building any tension habits into your playing.

Practice often. 10 minutes per day is more effective than 60 minutes once per week -- our brains learn by repetition over time.

Listen to recordings. There are lots of folks here who have recorded the pieces in the book; more on YouTube. Listen and discover what you like and don't like about others' interpretations... and learn from that!

Record yourself. When you don't have a teacher, it can be really hard to hear certain things: pauses, changes in tempo, dynamic variations that aren't what you intend, etc. Recording yourself and listening will help you discover where your trouble spots are and overcome them.

My biggest tip is to not be in a hurry! It can be hard to take your time and learn everything thoroughly, especially on songs you don't like, when you don't have a teacher. Give yourself the gift of building a strong foundation by taking your time.

And play something you really love everyday.

Hope that's helpful!

Best,

Kim

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1206789 - 05/27/09 12:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: PianoTeacherKim]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Kim, thanks. Those are all good things to do/keep in mind.

#1206796 - 05/27/09 12:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: kennychaffin]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
Carl nice job on Jericho, but I think you missed the tie on the last note of the second bar. It goes dot dot dah, rather than dot dot dot dah.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1206881 - 05/27/09 02:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: wj3]
romolo Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks PianoTeacherKim for all those tips...
I don't really find myself counting out loud but I know I should.
Sometimes I just don't know how to count with some pieces.
Like with eighth notes and dotted quarter notes, I was told to count "1 n 2 n 3 n 4 n" but it's hard sometimes and it just makes me go slower.

#1207006 - 05/27/09 05:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: wj3]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wj3
Carl nice job on Jericho, but I think you missed the tie on the last note of the second bar. It goes dot dot dah, rather than dot dot dot dah.

WJ3
Yep...missed that one. Thanks for the heads up. Got that fixed, but I think I might be still cheating the 1/8 rest?

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1207100 - 05/27/09 08:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Workin' on "Amazing Grace."

#1207106 - 05/27/09 08:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: angelojf]
wj3 Offline

Way to go angelojf...... When are you going to join me in book 2? I am going pretty slowly. You can probably catch up with me pretty soon.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1207146 - 05/27/09 10:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: wj3]
greel Offline

I just finished this book! It took me almost exactly four months of lessons, although I wasn't focusing completely on this book alone.

Now I'm not sure if I should start on book two or do something else. Any opinions?

#1207149 - 05/27/09 10:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: greel]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations! I say just throw in the towel and forget it! smile smile smile

Seriously Major congrats from someone just at that beginning of this one. Have you looked at book 2? What about supplemental works? Looked at them? What did you teacher suggest?

#1207170 - 05/27/09 11:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
Strings & Wood Offline

Originally Posted By: marimorimo
My current keyboard doesn't have a pedal, but my teacher made me practice with an imaginary one for "Harp Song" (was it?) and it was quite a struggle coordinating my foot with my hands! I was all over the place, LOL. I'm going to practice it properly when I get my Casio PX-720 (with weighted keys and pedals) hopefully later this week.

I'm currently on the 1st Hanon exercises and a few variations of that exercise taught to me by my teacher laugh

Just wondering....did the Hanon exercise help any of you in any way?

Congrats on your new keyboard. Let us know how it turns out.

I think Hanon addresses the physical hand weakness in a person's ability to play. For that reason I do think it is initially, important to address this weakness. Eventually, you will have to decide how to devote your practice time and if there is room and or time for such practice.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1207193 - 05/28/09 12:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
That's awesome, Angelojf! I can't wait till I get to Amazing Grace. I love that hymn, and have played a couple of easier versions in various method books.

Congrats, greel, on finishing Book 1. I haven't looked at Book 2 yet, but there are a lot of people on the Book 2 thread that seem to be enjoying it, and you can always supplement with music of your choice too.

I'm still hangin' in with "Little Brown Jug". I can play it without errors, but it's not even close to being smooth yet. I have a short list of older pieces from Book 1 and from the Pop Songbook that I play about every other day, and I started playing a few Christmas carols yesterday. I know it's early but I always enjoy playing them. I also picked up "Religious Favorites" from Bastien, but I haven't done much with it except sightread the first three or four hymns.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1207369 - 05/28/09 10:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
BarbVA Offline

Funny you mention Christmas songs mom3, I had just been thinking that the next book I buy is going to be a Christmas Book as I'd like to have time to have a collection ready for the holidays. Of course by the time I practice them every day for months, my family will be so sick of hearing them they won't want me to play them during the holidays, lol. I think I'll wait at least until September to start working on Christmas songs.

#1207398 - 05/28/09 11:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: BarbVA]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
Hello All!

Well I officially mastered "Blow the Man Down" last night, so I figured that it was now or never for me to introduce myself and just jump in and start getting serious about daily practice.

I am a 43 year old beginner, never had piano lessons ever, always loved music. My wife and I are raising our kids in western CT, having moved to New England from California 6 years ago.

For the past four years I have been helping my son daily with his piano study (he's 11 now). As I have begun taking up the Alfreds book myself, I am happy to discover that some of those hundreds of hours have sunk in for me as well!

So far my main challenge is practice time… life is full of family activities and it’s really hard for me to break away. But in some sense I think that finding the 20 to 30 minutes a day just for me, I have felt upbeat and energized… I’d like to think it's the result of this creative outlet.

Anyway, great to be here, and I'm looking forward to joining in the conversation. Best wishes…

Ben Toby
Newtown CT

#1207401 - 05/28/09 11:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Zenobe]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good for you Ben, sounds like you are progressing and balancing everything well!

#1207565 - 05/28/09 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Zenobe]
Strings & Wood Offline

Welcome aboard Ben, you will have lots of company here.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1207749 - 05/28/09 09:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well I'm back to the the book, still trying to nail down Saints. I'm pretty close but still can't play it right except once in a blue moon, it is getting better though. Went back and reviewed Jingle bells and New World and did okay. Will keep pushing ahead slowly but surely like the proverbial turtle. smile

Oh and I can pretty much play the first section of Over the Rainbow (and will continue to work on it) will shoot for the NEXT recital. smile

Edited by kennychaffin (05/28/09 09:18 PM)

#1207767 - 05/28/09 09:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: kennychaffin]
greel Offline

Originally Posted By: kennychaffin
Congratulations! I say just throw in the towel and forget it! smile smile smile

Seriously Major congrats from someone just at that beginning of this one. Have you looked at book 2? What about supplemental works? Looked at them? What did you teacher suggest?

Thanks!

I haven't actually done any of the supplemental works and my teacher never brought them up. In the first place my teacher only started me on book one because she didn't know where I was at as far as piano experience (which was zero) and just wanted to give me a very basic start. The first book was great to begin with, and I'm sure I would benefit from the second book as well, only there's this little voice inside my head telling me that I'd be cheating myself if I were to start on book two because I know I can progress faster than I already am. So, one part of me just wants to take it easy and go with book two because I know I won't have to push very hard to get through it in reasonable time. And that would be my lazy side. haha.

I don't know yet what my teacher is going to do, but I have a hunch that she'll just skip it and get me started on something else other than an Alfred's book, mainly because I have a decent knowledge of piano theory and don't need all the instructional parts of the alfreds books. I'm mainly working on sight reading and technique at this point.

#1207771 - 05/28/09 10:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: greel]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well keep us posted in any case!

#1207915 - 05/29/09 07:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: kennychaffin]
dee180 Offline

Loc: NH
Well somebody should congratulate me - I finally got LBJ down!
It's smooth and without mistakes. I still hate it.
Thanks for the piano tips, welcome to Ben.
My teacher is going to start me on theory this week. She hasn't given me any supplemental pieces to play - I find them on my own and then bring them to her. I want to start some Christmas music also. I think if I start now, I'll have it mastered by Dec smile

#1207921 - 05/29/09 08:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well since you insist. smile

CONGRATULATIONS DEE!

#1207958 - 05/29/09 09:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
Strings & Wood Offline

Good job dee180. thumb
That is a good one to get by. I still go back to it- even though I don't like it- because it is hard to play.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1207988 - 05/29/09 10:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
Originally Posted By: Carl Mc
Congrats on your new keyboard. Let us know how it turns out.

I think Hanon addresses the physical hand weakness in a person's ability to play. For that reason I do think it is initially, important to address this weakness. Eventually, you will have to decide how to devote your practice time and if there is room and or time for such practice.

I just got my new DP (Casio PX-720) delivered a while ago laugh It's great! I love the minimalist design, the weighted keys, and now I can finally use the pedals! Then I tried a piece I know well, "Alpine Melody" and my fingers were stumbling...I was expecting the extra weight, but the keys still felt very alien to me. And my hands quickly got tired (aching actually). Argh.. I think I'd have to go back and redo the previous lessons I've supposedly 'mastered' with the unweighted keyboard. I can now totally see the necessity of Hanon exercises! Good thing I've only had the keyboard for less than a month so there isn't much I have to go back to and relearn all over again.

Another thing, my foot starts aching when I position it over the pedal. What is the proper way to do it? I just raise my toes with my heel on the floor and hold it in position, which I think tenses and stresses my foot. Should I rest my foot on the pedal? I'm afraid the weight of my foot might depress the pedal, though.
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
--------------------------------------------

#1208007 - 05/29/09 11:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Congratulations to Ben for mastering BTMD, and to Dee for mastering LBJ.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1208108 - 05/29/09 02:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
Strings & Wood Offline

I think you will adjust quickly to the weighted keys...so relearning previous pieces should not be a factor. I would think you will have to rest your foot on the pedal. Keeping it suspended above the pedal would be painful- and mess up your timing as well.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1208112 - 05/29/09 02:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
Strings & Wood Offline

I have been messing around with "O Sole Mio" and changed up the ending as well. Did I jazz it up too much? What about the ending?

http://www.box.net/shared/ovo3j5hs9c

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1208131 - 05/29/09 03:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds great to me Carl. There seemed to be a slight hesitation just before that final phrase, not sure if that is in the score or if it was just that a hesitation in the playing.

#1208250 - 05/29/09 06:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: kennychaffin]
Strings & Wood Offline

Thanks, Kennychaffin.
That arpeggiated chord at the end has a birds eye above it which means to hold longer. I believe it is the discretion of the player as to what longer translate to... maybe a bit too long?

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1208281 - 05/29/09 07:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Carl Mc
Thanks, Kennychaffin.
That arpeggiated chord at the end has a birds eye above it which means to hold longer. I believe it is the discretion of the player as to what longer translate to... maybe a bit too long?

Hmm, no what I heard (and I may just be part of the tune) was a definite space (quiet, no note) just before the final phrase. Maybe I was just just hearing things I'll go and listen again and see if I can get a time-marker.

I guess it's not that big a deal just bit off temp or pause about 1:06 or so...

Not a big deal at all.

Edited by kennychaffin (05/29/09 07:41 PM)

#1208376 - 05/29/09 11:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: kennychaffin]
wj3 Offline

Nice job Carl... I hate to say this, but I think the left hand rhythm is a little off. Starting in the second measure it is a dotted quarter note, and eighth note and two quarter notes. It finishes in the next measure with another quarter note then two rests of a quarter and a half. So its Dahhh, di, dah dah dah. Count 1 and 2, and, 3 and, 4 and, 1 and, rest 2and3and4and.
dahh di dah dah dah

I didn't notice the pause before the arpeggiated chord too much. Otherwise a really great recording.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:

#1208485 - 05/30/09 07:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
dee180 Offline

Loc: NH
Hi Marimorimo - Congrats on your new DP - When I received my Roland DP I did the same as you - went back to songs that I had already mastered and found that I couldn't play them worth a damn. After a while, I got used to the new keyboard and now all is well again.
You'll get the hang of it.

Page 78 of 191 < 1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
166 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, Akshay, 49 invisible), 1467 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251025 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
04/19/14 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
04/19/14 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
04/19/14 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
04/19/14 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
04/19/14 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission