Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 80 of 191 < 1 2 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1214800 - 06/09/09 04:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
dukeofhesse Offline

Loc: wilmington nc
My brain is apparently way too small to divide in half so I won't go that route. I can play Chiapanecas through, but it is full of mis-hits, oops and it is anything but musical in even my best rendition. Tomorrow is it. If I can't get through two run throughs that are reasonably goof free, I'll move on.

I have O sole mio to do next which I have practiced quite a bit and think I stand a chance. After that I've covered everything else up to Scarborough Fair (did someone say 'affair'?).

I will report in tomorrow one way or another. I'll either be braggin' or complain'n.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1214914 - 06/09/09 07:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dukeofhesse]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Some pieces are like that. My rendition of "Good People" was mostly free of mistakes, but it was full of hesitations and as you say "anything but musical". After a month, it was just time to move on. But, as you are giving it another day - I hope you are braggin' tomorrow.

I'm working on Chiapanecas right now, so I'm right behind you.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1214929 - 06/09/09 08:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dukeofhesse]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
grin

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1215118 - 06/10/09 08:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
dee180 Offline

Loc: NH
I'm still struggling with O Sole Mio - It seems like I've been struggling since trying to play Little Brown Jug - which, by the way, I still hate.
Also, it's a little harder to sit down at the DP when the weather is so beautiful. There's only so much free time after work.

#1215545 - 06/10/09 10:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
BarbVA Offline

I agree with you dee, the warmer weather is making it much more difficult. But we are actually having the most rain we have had in the last 5 years (good thing we needed it), so when I'd normally go out to the pool after work, its been about time for a thunderstorm to roll in, I loose my satelite internet and and am so thankful to have the piano to sit down to.

Finally got back to lessons tonight, was supposed to go back two weeks ago but got the kids darn cold and didn't want to spread it around, so I cancelled. Lesson went well. I'm officially up to Cockles & Mussles in the AIO book, up to What a Wonderful World in the Greatest Hits book, and still working on Desperado in the other book I bought. That one will still be a little while, but I'm seeing improvements every day. My teacher agreed that it was a little above where I'm at now, but agreed that if I wanted to work it out, it covered a lot of the same techniques that were in some of the easier pieces she had given me and agreed to trade off several of the easier ones for me to continue working on that piece.

I also got my Hannons book tonight, so adding that in, still doing scales, arpegios and cadences. But I'm happier I think having one bigger piece to work on rather than a half a dozen simpler ones, it keeps me challenged and motivated and feeling more focused.

Glad to hear everyone is progressing so well. I need to get myself moving in the Alfred's book or you are all going to leave me behind and move on to thread #2!

#1215677 - 06/11/09 09:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: BarbVA]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
Hi Barb,

You are just ahead of me in the book. I also bought the Greatest Hits book after reading what you and others had to say about it. I have always loved Edelweiss and What a Wonderful World (have you heard Eva Cassidy sing What a Wonderful World? - so beautiful and poignant, especially considering her untimely passing from cancer)...

Anyway one thing I was wondering -- when do you move on from a piece? I can get through BTMD and Cafe Vienna with say only one or two small mistakes. Do you usually get them to "perfect" before moving on? I think if I did that I would go crazy! smile

It's true - at my age (43 with two young kids) finding practice time is the hardest part. But I love it when I do!

Cheers --

#1215684 - 06/11/09 09:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Zenobe]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
@ Zenobe:

I only officially call myself more or less "done" with a piece when my teacher lets me play the next one. Now, she lets me go ahead with the book, but everything I play by my own is never considered 'done' until it gets her approval. BUT! Even if she lets me move to the next piece, we always go back a number of pages to review past pieces, and to my horror, pieces I have supposedly mastered come out full of silly mistakes. So now in my practice time I decided to practice old pieces too, even though I'm itching to do the newer ones. Just a while ago, I reviewed everything from "Beautiful Brown Eyes" to my current piece, "Lullaby." To my surprise, all that reviewing was actually a good warm-up and made playing my current piece easier.
I also noticed a slight improvement in my sight reading.

Personally, I never go to the next piece until I get to play a piece note-perfect more times than I mess it up. I have a feeling my teacher isn't as strict about being note-perfect, though (she said I'm a bit of a perfectionist grin)

Edited by marimorimo (06/11/09 09:47 AM)
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

#1216008 - 06/11/09 08:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
BarbVA Offline

Zenobe,

I take very much the same approach as marimorimo. Once I know I can nail a song and prove it several times, I officially move on (even if I occasionally go back and make a mistake). But what I do is paperclip back to the last song that was a challenge, for me its still Blow the Man down and that is where I start my warm up for each practice session. I'll probably be moving my paper clip up soon, but BTMD was such a challenge at first, I now enjoy starting there and nailing it on the first try.

I think when you have a song near perfection, it is as good a time as any to introduce something new to avoid boredom and stagnation, but do like I do, and paperclip that page that might still need a little polishing and use it for warm up, and soon enough you will notice one day that it is now perfected without effort. Well, that's what works for me at least.

#1216203 - 06/12/09 08:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: BarbVA]
dee180 Offline

I never wait for perfection - if I can nail the melody and the notes, I consider it done. Then I play, play, play, play it and practice it until I get the right beat. My teacher lets me move ahead to a new lesson even though the old one is not perfect. Really, how much time do I have left in this world smile
I am also playing from 2 other books in addition to good old Alfred. I can play Danny Boy ALMOST perfectly and then have several going from My first book of classical music - which I love. I'm playing Fur Elise fairly well.

#1216407 - 06/12/09 01:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
Zenobe Offline

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like the paper clip idea Barb, I will definitely use that one. It sounds like using the older pieces as warm up to keep them sharp, while continuing to forge ahead at a reasonable pace, will be the best method for me. I find sometimes as I come to the end of a piece without any mistakes, my brain kind of spazzes out and forces me to make a mistake out of panic. Maybe that is a hurdle like any other, and I need to keep on practicing the piece to get over that problem also.

Yesterday was a big day at our house - new piano arrived! I posted pictures on the Piano Forum under the thread "New Piano Arrived Yesterday." We're very excited! If you check the photos out can you please give me an unbiased opinion whether you think the piano is too big for the room I put it in? Thanks!

#1216523 - 06/12/09 05:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Zenobe]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Zenobe
I did see your new Young Chang grand piano. It is beautiful and I think you found a great spot for it. I have always been impressed with the value, tone and action of the Young Chang pianos. It will make practice so much fun for you and your son. Congratulations!

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1217528 - 06/15/09 10:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Strings & Wood]
Zenobe Offline

Reached "On Top of Old Smoky" over the weekend. Still polishing previous pieces to some extent (especially Lullabye and BTMD), but if I aim for perfection I will never move forward. Also I'm trying to learn Wonderful World from the Greatest Hits book, and just getting started with scales in an Alfred's scales book.

Hope everyone had a good weekend... it's been raining off and on for 10 days here in southern New England. Ready for that to be over... smile

#1217651 - 06/15/09 02:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Zenobe]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I never wait for "perfection" either, because I would never achieve it. I do wait until I can play note perfect MOST of the time, and the piece sounds as smooth and musical as my limited talent will allow it to be. I continue to play older pieces along with the newest ones, and I also go back and review from time to time - starting from Blow the Man Down. I also have a few other books that I work from to keep from getting bored. So along with my Alfred Book 1, I occasionally play from:
Faber Adult Piano Adventures (haven't actually touched this one in quite a while)
Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1
and some sheet music from the free sheet music sites

Perhaps I would advance in Alfred's a little faster if I concentrated on it exclusively, but I enjoy the variety and I think it helps me learn better in the long run.

#1217653 - 06/15/09 02:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Zenobe]
dee180 Offline

You all probably know about this site but just in case..... musicnotes.com - they have a lot of sheet music for "easy piano", some with fingering. I just bought a few songs - you just pay and then print the music. I like it because I can buy the songs that I like and not have to buy a book just to get one song. I'm going to start "Somewhere over the Rainbow". Also, still working on Ole SOle Mio. I'll be working on that forever, I think.

#1217683 - 06/15/09 03:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That one is coming up for me soon, dee180, so if you have any pointers I would love to hear them. Still clunking out "Little Brown Jug" and working up "Chiapanecas". Having a severe thunderstorm now so I've unplugged my digital. Should probably unplug my computer also.

#1217685 - 06/15/09 03:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Probably the computer moreso than the piano!

#1217956 - 06/16/09 07:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
dee180 Offline

HI mom3gram - I wish I did have some helpful hints for you....I'd take them myself smile
I guess the biggest thing is not to get discouraged. It took me forever with the hated Little Brown Jug - now I can play it but I don't want to smile
I've moved on to Jericho which I find infinitely easier than LBJ, Chip, OSM.

#1217992 - 06/16/09 09:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
Zenobe Offline

I agree with you all that it gets a bit tiresome only working from the one Alfred's book, so I want to supplement with a few fun songs in parallel.

I wasn't aware of musicnotes.com until dee180 referred to it... when I went to the site I discovered that not only is it possible to transpose songs I like into an easier key before purchasing the sheet music, which is great, but even better, I can actually listen on-line to how it should sound when I play it, complete with notes that turn red when they are sounding... dang them internets is cool!

Yesterday I found a local music store that will let me practice on my lunch hours for free... now I don't have to squeeze in 5 minutes here and there into our busy evenings at home. Here's hoping that turns out OK. smile

#1218614 - 06/17/09 11:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Zenobe]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
@Zenobe : Wow, I'm envious you can actually practice during your lunch hour! Fat chance of that happening where I work (we can't go outside and our company is in the middle of nowhere anyway). Not to mention that music stores are few and far in between in my country frown

As I thought, there were some things I wasn't doing quite right in 'Lullabye' and even with 'Cafe Vienna' but my teacher gently corrected me. Now it's much better. I got the go signal to continue so over the next week I'm planning to tackle "Joy to the World," "Cockles and Mussels," and "Got those Blues"! My teacher played some of the songs at the back of the Alfred book and now I'm even more inspired to work hard. The later songs sounded so much more fun and exciting (loved 'The Entertainer' smile ) I can't wait to play those songs!
30th Week Playing Piano
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

#1218881 - 06/17/09 08:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: marimorimo]
MarkInBayArea Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
When I first started the Alfred Book I would always warm up by playing all of the previous songs. This helped reinforce the songs and kept them fresh, but it started to take too much of my practice time.

I've since changed my strategy and only focus on the current song. The later songs are much more challenging and require quite a bit of time to master. I'm on Scarborough Fair now and definitely need the time investment to make this sound good. The pedaling on this song is tough for me.

#1219030 - 06/18/09 08:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MarkInBayArea]
dee180 Offline

Me too - I used to warm up by playing the songs in the beginning of the book but now that I am so far into the book, don't have the time.
Yes, the later songs are very challenging for me too and I have a really hard time trying to pedal and play at the same time - I find that I need to learn the piece first and then add the pedaling.
I'm on Jericho now and will be moving on to the next one at tomorrow's lesson.

#1219288 - 06/18/09 05:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay, I can now play "Little Brown Jug" with no mistakes, both with the music and from memory. It's still slow with some hesitations, so it doesn't sound all that musical (does LBJ EVER actually sound musical?) but I've got the notes down pat. Will continue to practice it until something better comes along.

I played "Chiapanecas" all the way through today - the first section error free, but the rest kind of stumbling.

I also tried several pieces from my friend's copy of Alfred's All-Time Favorites, Book 1 and I like this book better than Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook. I wish I had found this one first - I may have skipped the other two.

#1219318 - 06/18/09 06:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
BarbVA Offline

Congrats Mom3gram on conquering LBJ and it sounds like Chiapanecas (how do you say that?) is coming along nicely.

I'm officially up to Got Those Blues, and have to say that is a fun song, not too hard, nice rythm. I was actually not looking forward to the Blues sections (the AIO has 3 back to back blues before getting to On top of old Smokey), but I've actually found the first one to be quite fun and it livens up the room, I catch my kids moving to the beat out of the corner of my eye, lol.

#1219341 - 06/18/09 08:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: BarbVA]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't know how to pronounce Chiapanecas either. :-)

There are quite a few bluesy pieces in the later sections of Alfred. Some people love them, I didn't really care for them. To me they were hard to learn and I didn't really like the sound, even when played by someone other than me. But I worked through them because there were things in there that I needed to learn. I'm glad that you are having fun with "Got Those Blues". If you liked that one, you will probably like the others too.

#1219429 - 06/19/09 01:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: mom3gram
Okay, I can now play "Little Brown Jug" with no mistakes, both with the music and from memory. It's still slow with some hesitations, so it doesn't sound all that musical (does LBJ EVER actually sound musical?) but I've got the notes down pat. Will continue to practice it until something better comes along.

I played "Chiapanecas" all the way through today - the first section error free, but the rest kind of stumbling.

Hi mom3gram, Nice job! Keep up the great work!

I also tried several pieces from my friend's copy of Alfred's All-Time Favorites, Book 1 and I like this book better than Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook. I wish I had found this one first - I may have skipped the other two.

Since I've just passed the point in book 2 where it says that I'm now ready for "The Greatest Hits, level 2" book, I'm thinking about perhaps getting it. May I ask why you preferred the "All-Time Favorites, Book 1" better than the Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook?

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

#1219433 - 06/19/09 01:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MarkInBayArea]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkInBayArea
I'm on Scarborough Fair now and definitely need the time investment to make this sound good. The pedaling on this song is tough for me.

One of my favorite pieces in this book, and I'm still playing it while I'm working on book 2. The pedaling was quite hard for me at first as well.

Keep on practicing, and you'll get it soon enough.

Key Notes smile

#1219491 - 06/19/09 07:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Key Notes]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Key Notes

May I ask why you preferred the "All-Time Favorites, Book 1" better than the Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook?

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Well, it could just be a case of "the grass is always greener", but what I liked about "Alltime Favorites" was that it had some of everything - classics, oldies that I loved, hymns, and in general more pieces than the other two. Of course, every time I see another book I want it. :-) I'm just not sure that I really need another Alfred level 1 supplemental book, when I've only learned a few songs from each of the two books I already have.

P.S. I also have Bastien's "Religious Favorites", which has a ton of really nice hymns and have only scratched the surface of that one. I think I'm a book junkie. :-)

#1219496 - 06/19/09 07:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
dee180 Offline

Mom3Gram - BIG congratulations on LBJ!!!! That really was a tough one. (I still hate it) smile

#1219578 - 06/19/09 10:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dee180]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
I just bought Alfred's all time favorites and found that it has quite a few songs that are in Book two. So I am a little confused why it is graded level one. However with that said it has a nice selection of songs to learn. I think I will pick my next recital piece from it.

Edited by wj3 (06/19/09 02:29 PM)

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1219947 - 06/20/09 03:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: mom3gram]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Key Notes

May I ask why you preferred the "All-Time Favorites, Book 1" better than the Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook?

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Well, it could just be a case of "the grass is always greener", but what I liked about "Alltime Favorites" was that it had some of everything - classics, oldies that I loved, hymns, and in general more pieces than the other two. Of course, every time I see another book I want it. :-) I'm just not sure that I really need another Alfred level 1 supplemental book, when I've only learned a few songs from each of the two books I already have.

P.S. I also have Bastien's "Religious Favorites", which has a ton of really nice hymns and have only scratched the surface of that one. I think I'm a book junkie. :-)

I see... not such a bad habit to have. Thanks for the overview mom3gram.

Sounds like you have a lot of varied options available at your finger tips (Oops, a pun, can be intended grin) to have a ton of fun with. That's really great!!! Perhaps sometime those selections and compositions are "greener"... . grin Seriously, I'm trying very hard to prevent myself from catching the collecting-sheet-music-that-I-can't-play syndrome, especially at this very early stages of my learning. But I can however start collecting the ones that I can with a few added challenges of course, so I'll definitely stroll down to the music shop to take a closer look at them when I'm ready.

Thanks again and have a fabulous day!

Key Notes smile

Edited by Key Notes (06/20/09 05:19 AM)

Page 80 of 191 < 1 2 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (Almaviva, adanepst, Alux, 45 invisible), 1458 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249276 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission