2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C

Last edited by noSkillz; 05/31/09 12:39 AM.
A
A
Originally Posted by noSkillz

Therefore, both SpectrumMan and me are both geniuses.

Do you really believe that? There is the desire no doubt. Perhaps you'll join the club of "geniuses" such as Richard Kastle...

In any case, even if talent has mainly to do with connections, that in itself is not common. No matter the explanation, the fact is not everyone is talented for everything, just finding one thing they're are talented at is in itself something.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I thought a genius might be more skilled at distinguishing between subject and object pronouns. smile

Steven

C
C

Last edited by noSkillz; 05/31/09 12:38 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I fail to understand the hostility in this thread.

The nature of talent and learning in general has been greatly informed by recent brain research. The discovery of mirror neurons, research into hemispheric activity in logographic and alphabetic reading, semiotic theories, and Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences have all changed the way we think about talent, learning, and the old arguments of nature vs. nurture.

Coyle's material looks interesting to me, and it seems odd to me that so many are dismissing his ideas without having read the entire book.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
C
C

Last edited by noSkillz; 05/31/09 12:40 AM.
A
A
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I fail to understand the hostility in this thread.

The nature of talent and learning in general has been greatly informed by recent brain research. The discovery of mirror neurons, research into hemispheric activity in logographic and alphabetic reading, semiotic theories, and Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences have all changed the way we think about talent, learning, and the old arguments of nature vs. nurture.

Coyle's material looks interesting to me, and it seems odd to me that so many are dismissing his ideas without having read the entire book.

I agree, but haven't read the book. I am not against it, and am interested in reading it. However there is something about critics and in this case researchers, and that is the apparent lack of talent and calling or vocation. That is, what they are really passionate about, and how they are not taking active part in it.
Just like many critics of different things are not performers or students of said field, in this case I have not read where the talent is in someone who researched on talent, what they got into: writing, poetry, music, etc. I don't find satisfying the mere: "passion to research and just know about it". Some part of the author must want to achieve greatness in some field, either if he expresses and is conscious or not.
In any case, all the research should serve as inspiration to learn and get deeper into whatever it is one wants, no matter the age.

Last edited by AryReisin; 05/30/09 08:34 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Originally Posted by SpectrumMan
The connections are what make talent. This picture holds for all kinds of talent, from doing mathematics, to playing the piano, to speaking, to learning languages, to teaching others. Again this is a must read! I been in education for years and this is one of the best things I have seen to lay it out so well. I have also been around extremely talented world class performers for years. I've hung with the best of them, and it solidifies my previous beliefs that there is nothing special about these so called geniuses other than their own understanding of what they want, what works the best for them, and their drive to get it.

I believe there are people who need to believe that, which pretty much guarantees an audience (and marketplace success) for a book with that message.

"Nothing special about these so called geniuses"? That's hopelessly and laughably naïve.

Steven

Steven, you cracked "The Code" ! grin

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a guy with talent that didn't practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEh9Y68fGqI

C
C

C
C

C
C

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
There may be something worth learning from this book, but I don't have my hopes up. The title alone is enough to put one off. Plus, the author is yet another jock sportswriter type, and my sense of it (without having read the book yet) is that he's probably making the typical mistake of thinking that what works in sports is applicable to everything else in life. Sorry, but I don't think giving a performance of LvB's op. 109 that moves people to tears is all that much like playing golf, or whatever.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apparently someone's "genius" is still only available for a limited time. Thank the bloody gods!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Remember that special classmate in primary/secondary school who could draw very convincing, good looking figures and faces, while your own drawings were never much more than stick figures. That's because that kid got talent for drawing.

Of course, when it comes to piano playing everybody will need to practice (a lot) to get any kind of results. But I do believe talent still plays a role. It's just not as obvious as with drawing.
Some people are simply more naturally gifted to play the instrument and I'd say that is determined by genetics.

P
P
I don't understand why people are dismissing it out of hand, and then insulting those who are considering the author's point of view?

If someone has a problem with it, why not argue against the actual points that the book makes? The author seems to have spoken to a lot of researchers in both neurology and psychology, and what he says seems well-supported. Even if you don't like his assertion that one isn't born with talent, he still has a lot of wonderful suggestions for practice. Some of these suggestions I had already been utilizing, and can attest to their efficacy, but now I can use them more consciously and with more direction.

I don't see the need to get upset over the whole thing and resort to ad hominem attacks. It's a book worthy of consideration, and seems to me to be well-researched.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I have much less of an issue with Coyle's book than in the way his essential premise is used to give false hopes to people who lack talent and give cover to those who wish to believe that it doesn't exist. His thesis is hardly served by statements in this thread like the following one (and numerous others, some of which have since been deleted by the poster who made them):

Originally Posted by noSkillz
Talent is based on mental skill and if mental skill was inborn, then most people would have the ability to become another Leonardo Da Vinci. I think the terms 'greatness' and talent' elude you. It is not what you think it is. It is something totally different.

Steven

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You're not going to settle this one unless you can say, "what is life," and "what is consciousness." Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of having one talent that supports an ability in math, music, art, connivance and manipulation, sports, cooking, communication, engineering, politics, business, science, gardening or the acquiring of a fortune, but a constellation of them that can be used in concert.

Certainly the brain and nervous system support abilities, and the research is interesting. But there is a school of thought that says that the brain is not the generator of thought, but rather the organ that receives thought.

There's more to it than just ability. There are plenty of people who can play pretty advanced stuff note-perfect... but no one wants to listen to them because their performance doesn't make you feel anything.

I don't think this is really a matter that can be written down in a book or settled by a forum discussion... but good luck trying.

Clef

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
There may be something worth learning from this book, but I don't have my hopes up. The title alone is enough to put one off. Plus, the author is yet another jock sportswriter type, and my sense of it (without having read the book yet) is that he's probably making the typical mistake of thinking that what works in sports is applicable to everything else in life. Sorry, but I don't think giving a performance of LvB's op. 109 that moves people to tears is all that much like playing golf, or whatever.

To speak somewhat to wr's comments, only about half of the author's examples are from sports. The book tells the authors experiences from visiting various talent "hotspots" around the world, reviewing information about historical talent "hotspots", and interviews with scientists studying myelin. Other examples he uses are from the arts - the Spetien Vocal Studio in Texas, the cello teacher Hans Jenson in Chicago, the example of the Bronte sisters, and the example of the Renaisance artists from Florence Italy (including Michelangeo, Donatello, and Da Vinci).

I found the book very interesting, but I wished that it had more scientific details or was written by someone with a scientific background.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
My apologies to the OP for getting so hot headed. This issue really pushes my buttons, just like my left wing politics do on another forum.

All I can say is that during my uni years I saw so much evidence that merely hard practice -regardless of how diligent or efficient- simply doesn't guarantee the expected results.

One example: a good mate of mine was working on the same composition I was -the Beethoven Op. 53- he put more time on it than I, but I was the one who was able to bring it up to a performance standard (no Richard Goode of course), yet this other well meaning individual could never get either of the outer movements up to speed without things totally falling apart. I felt very badly for him, and anything I suggested didn't seem to work.

Jason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission