2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I'm getting a keyboard for my birthday and I've researched both keyboards and I like both of them, but I can't seem to decide between the two. I'm a beginner, so I don't know that much about keyboards. Could someone help me out?

-Christian

V
V
Do you want to learn to play the Piano? Or do you want to be able to play a lot of different sounds?

If yes, then the PX-120 offers a weighted keyboard similar to other Digital Pianos and acoustic pianos. The Yamaha does not.

The Yamaha offers several voices - the Casio does not offer more than 11 voices.

I see the Yamaha as a keyboard with 88 keys and the Casio as a Digital Piano, i.e. a digital emulation of an acoustic piano.

It's your call - you need to know what you want to do with it.

FYI - the YPG 635 provide a weighted keyboard like the Casio PX series and a lot of sounds like the YPG-535.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Why would anyone consider the YPG-535 at all when the YPG-635 is available?

The 535 is just an oversized keyboard with no Piano qualities at all, I really believe that it needs to be discontinued.

The 635 on the other hand is a full Digital Piano with fully weighted and also graded keys, as well as there being a full optional pedal unit available.

Having the same model myself with a pedal unit, I can say that the instrument is brilliant alternative to a Piano, plus it has great keyboard features thrown in as well. I would personally only get a different model to this one if it also had all the same features along with a full Piano pedal unit as well.

I love being able to go through the 400+ voices on this Digital Piano, and its sound quality for all of them is superb, Ive found some really interesting voices to play my pieces with other than just the Piano, and this makes me want to practice again and again using the different sounds.

E.G my Joplin pieces played on the bass and percussion (such as the marimba and steel gongs) voices makes learning so much more interesting, and there are far too many voices for me to decide which one I like best.

I could make like 5 recordings of the same piece in different voices which suit it, record them and put them up on youtube, something which a plain digital Piano with just Piano sounds wouldnt be able to do.

It is the perfect Piano for me, I hope they release a better version in the future with a better key standard and 192 note polyphony for dual voice and multi track recording purposes.

If you want great keyboard features, then basically right now you would have to just buy a keyboard, I havnt seen any better Digital Grands which also work as a great keyboard.

I cant wait to start recording, still need lots more practice though frown.

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.
S
OP Offline
S
I want to learn to play, and apparently(as I've read on other forums) weighted keys are important to have if you want to learn to play. That being the case, I think I'll go with the PX-120. I would choose the Yamaha YPG-635 if it wasn't so expensive.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Yea weigted keys are important. Just get the cheapest weighted key model you can find and it will be fine for practice.

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission