Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1206276 - 05/26/09 05:44 PM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: steinwaymaster]
James McFadyen Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
Someone needs to take charge here. The idea is good but lacks direction and focused goals.

I know you are all trying to work together to come up with a good composition competition, but good competitions come from three things:

1) Clear and fair guidelines and rules that are not negotiable.

2) An incentive for the winning piece(s). I.E. Publish/perform and/or cash.

3) Professional attitudes of the organizers/judges that do not get personal when decision making.

We have run our own yearly brass band competition since 2005 and it has been very successful. I do think you are stabbing yourselves in the foot by allowing an open forum to discuss the competitions details; you may think it's fair but it just creates more confusion to exactly what is being asked, when and how it should be submitted, etc.

Try not to get too hung up about details, keep it as open and free as possible and instead network with the right people/companies to offer a real incentive to boost the winning composers career.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1207885 - 05/29/09 06:01 AM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: James McFadyen]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I really doubt that we're going to have a professional competition with cash prizes and non biased judges out of this forum idea...

...what seems more appropriate is a contest involving a piece of a certain length in any chosen style...the idea of an extramusical reference is good...and probably a collective forum vote on a winner.

At least, that's just my opinion.

Edited by Theowne (05/29/09 06:01 AM)

#1207899 - 05/29/09 07:08 AM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Theowne]
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
Originally Posted By: Theowne
I really doubt that we're going to have a professional competition with cash prizes and non biased judges out of this forum idea...

I wonder that too. Somehow I feel that it would end up being a vote-based contest rather than a panel-judged competition.

Also, this may be a completely crazy idea, but if anyone feels that the spirit of this contest is to encourage composers to compose as opposed to winning, then why not make it into a "Piano World Composers CD Project"? Would Frank approve? The extramusical reference could then be the "title" of the CD...

I know it might take away the competitiveness, and I can't speak for others, but I do wonder whether the incentive of having a composition recorded and included in a CD fully backed by Piano World is a nicer motivation for everyone than the incentive of a couple of people winning prizes?

Just a thought.

P.S. Completely random, but I take my final exams for my Master's today and tomorrow (yes, Saturday!). Wish me luck!!

Edited by Tar (05/29/09 07:10 AM)
verbis defectis musica incipit

#1208064 - 05/29/09 01:31 PM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Tar]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Hope it goes smoothly for you! smile

#1208579 - 05/30/09 11:37 AM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Horowitzian]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'm of the same opinion - better to create a compilation than hold a competition. It would be almost impossible to find good volunteer judges who would take it seriously and subject everything to a thorough examination.

I like the compilation idea, though, although the issue with making a CD would be that of performance. We would need everything recorded - I doubt a CD of Finale default MIDI playback would be particularly interesting to anyone.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1208783 - 05/30/09 06:46 PM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Kreisler]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I am not interested in competing with anybody but would contribute a few things to a compilation. The other performance CD was really good but a tremendous amount of work for one or two people. Presumably contributors to a piano composition CD would provide both a recording and a pdf or similar of a corresponding score ? I wonder if there would be enough contributors here of original piano music to fill a CD.

Edited by Ted (05/30/09 06:47 PM)

#1209227 - 05/31/09 02:20 PM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Ted]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I hate to be a pessimist, but I doubt it.

Maybe we could take a survey of how many people would participate, and then of course take off 30% who will inevitably cancel eventually.

#1211854 - 06/04/09 07:09 PM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Theowne]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So have we decided to scrap this idea or....

#1211928 - 06/04/09 09:22 PM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Theowne]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
We need somebody to take charge - make regular posts and keep in touch with participants.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1212006 - 06/05/09 12:16 AM Re: Piano World Composing Competition [Re: Kreisler]
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
I don't mind co-ordinating. I think I'm going to make a new thread as to not hijack the original idea of a competition should this be pursued further.

P.S. Horowitzian, thank you so much! I think they went alright. Results come out on the 10th and I only need a pass to do my PhD (but a 2.i would be nice wink )
verbis defectis musica incipit

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, ajames, 48 invisible), 1727 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156153 Topics
2293208 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
16 seconds ago
Can You, Will You Help?
by Piano World
39 minutes 23 seconds ago
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
Today at 09:33 AM
Who's inspiring you right now?
by Arizona Sage
Today at 08:58 AM
Best way to dispose of an old piano?
by fizikisto
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission