Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1212035 - 06/05/09 01:39 AM Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
The idea coming out of the initial discussion of having a Piano World Composition Competition, I thought a new thread was appropriate. Kreisler has pointed out rightly that we need someone in charge so here I am, audaciously assuming the role of co-ordinator! (Wrenching objection speak now!)

Here are my proposals with parts based on previous discussions: please read thoroughly before replying to avoid redundant questions which will confuse this thread!

Proposal: of a Piano World Composer's Lounge CD Project
1. Aims
We discussed the possibility of having a CD Project for composers, aiming to encourage composers to
(1) write piano music to their preferred style/form in a broad confine of a given theme, and
(2) perform and record their works.

2. How this might work
2.1 Unifying theme
We discussed that the compositions should have some sort of underlying theme. Several agreed on some form of extra-musical reference, with comments that it should not be author-restricted (so not 'poems of X' or 'paintings of Y') and that it should be globally recognised (so not a local holiday/commemoration day)

Here is my proposal: we decide on a theme that is very broad yet unifying seed phrase/word, readily appreciable without research (either into the literature or the art) if none is desired. I propose five possible themes as starters:

1. Aspects of Nature
2. War and Peace
3. Water
4. Holiday
5. Love

If we decide on one of these ideas, we can later on come up with a formal theme that will look/sound good as a CD title!

2.2 Musical constraints
I propose that we submit any number of pieces we like, but bear in mind that to fit into a CD, some form of selection may need to be in place. If we run into a situation requiring selection, I think it's fair that we allocate an equal amount of time to each composer who needs it.

Thus, while we discussed that pieces should not significantly exceed 5 minutes, I would only propose that we are sensible with what we submit. 2-minute pieces are nice little gems but if we don't have enough it might not be worth doing a CD. On the other hand, a 30-minute ballad/rhapsody would be a bit inconsiderate!

Pieces may take any form or style: play to your strength within the confines of the theme! Needless to say, as this is the Piano World Forum, we are expecting piano pieces.

I also propose that if you have already composed something that happens to fit in with the decided theme, you may submit it as long as it is live-recorded (see below). You are however encouraged to write something new!

2.3 Performance
We agreed that all composers should record their compositions (not MIDI playbacks!). I also propose that avid pianists among us kindly volunteer to help out other composers should there be a technical problem regarding performance. It would be the composer's responsibility to contact a pianist of choice.

If you're a pianist and would like to be made available to contact, please let me know!

2.4 Sheet music
I propose that participants should submit sheet music along side their recordings. The sheet music will be combined into a volume made available to the participants, and to wider circles if desired.

Again, we would be very grateful for Finale/Sibelius/Lilypond sharks out there to allow themselves to be bombarded with pleading PMs for help from those who struggling with the software.

3. Dates
I propose that the formal theme should be decided by the 15th June if we want to go ahead, and that recordings should be submitted by 31 October. That leaves 3.5 months which should be ample.

4. What we need YOU to do
4a. If you are a composer seriously interested in participating, please:
- Reply!
- State whether you may need help recording your music or typing up your score.
- State the themes on which you will be happy to submit pieces. This will allow me to decide on one that makes everyone happy! You may also suggest a theme if you don't find any of the five above attractive, in which case speak now and share your ideas.
- Say so if you have something to add to or have disagreements to these proposals and ask any questions. But please read the following posts first to avoid redundant questions/arguments.

I don't think we should proceed unless there are more than six composers willing to offer two pieces each or twelve composers willing to offer one piece each.

4b. If you are willing to made available to contact for help regarding performance or sheet music making, please reply too.

4c. If you feel like co-ordinating this project should it go ahead, let me know. Two heads are better than one!

4d. If you are willing to help out in any other way, please say so!

Edited by Tar (06/05/09 01:51 AM)
verbis defectis musica incipit

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1212048 - 06/05/09 02:42 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Your five themes actually underline much of the material I contributed to the first CD, the only difference being that I didn't bother providing scores. Supplying new ones for this CD would probably be dead easy, and I have plenty of time to work up new recordings. One point though - are my pdf scans of handwritten scores legible enough to be acceptable ? There are some here:

Scores

from a previous thread.

#1212086 - 06/05/09 06:54 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Ted]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Reading my post, it looks like I would repeat the same pieces. Of course this is not the case. New CD, new pieces and new recordings.

#1212122 - 06/05/09 08:54 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
dianekeeton Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Tar
The idea coming out of the initial discussion of having a Piano World Composition Competition, I thought a new thread was appropriate. Kreisler has pointed out rightly that we need someone in charge so here I am, audaciously assuming the role of co-ordinator! (Wrenching objection speak now!)

Here are my proposals with parts based on previous discussions: please read thoroughly before replying to avoid redundant questions which will confuse this thread!

Proposal: of a Piano World Composer's Lounge CD Project
1. Aims
We discussed the possibility of having a CD Project for composers, aiming to encourage composers to
(1) write piano music to their preferred style/form in a broad confine of a given theme, and
(2) perform and record their works.

2. How this might work
2.1 Unifying theme
We discussed that the compositions should have some sort of underlying theme. Several agreed on some form of extra-musical reference, with comments that it should not be author-restricted (so not 'poems of X' or 'paintings of Y') and that it should be globally recognised (so not a local holiday/commemoration day)

Here is my proposal: we decide on a theme that is very broad yet unifying seed phrase/word, readily appreciable without research (either into the literature or the art) if none is desired. I propose five possible themes as starters:

1. Aspects of Nature
2. War and Peace
3. Water
4. Holiday
5. Love

If we decide on one of these ideas, we can later on come up with a formal theme that will look/sound good as a CD title!

2.2 Musical constraints
I propose that we submit any number of pieces we like, but bear in mind that to fit into a CD, some form of selection may need to be in place. If we run into a situation requiring selection, I think it's fair that we allocate an equal amount of time to each composer who needs it.

Thus, while we discussed that pieces should not significantly exceed 5 minutes, I would only propose that we are sensible with what we submit. 2-minute pieces are nice little gems but if we don't have enough it might not be worth doing a CD. On the other hand, a 30-minute ballad/rhapsody would be a bit inconsiderate!

Pieces may take any form or style: play to your strength within the confines of the theme! Needless to say, as this is the Piano World Forum, we are expecting piano pieces.

I also propose that if you have already composed something that happens to fit in with the decided theme, you may submit it as long as it is live-recorded (see below). You are however encouraged to write something new!

2.3 Performance
We agreed that all composers should record their compositions (not MIDI playbacks!). I also propose that avid pianists among us kindly volunteer to help out other composers should there be a technical problem regarding performance. It would be the composer's responsibility to contact a pianist of choice.

If you're a pianist and would like to be made available to contact, please let me know!

2.4 Sheet music
I propose that participants should submit sheet music along side their recordings. The sheet music will be combined into a volume made available to the participants, and to wider circles if desired.

Again, we would be very grateful for Finale/Sibelius/Lilypond sharks out there to allow themselves to be bombarded with pleading PMs for help from those who struggling with the software.

3. Dates
I propose that the formal theme should be decided by the 15th June if we want to go ahead, and that recordings should be submitted by 31 October. That leaves 3.5 months which should be ample.

4. What we need YOU to do
4a. If you are a composer seriously interested in participating, please:
- Reply!
- State whether you may need help recording your music or typing up your score.
- State the themes on which you will be happy to submit pieces. This will allow me to decide on one that makes everyone happy! You may also suggest a theme if you don't find any of the five above attractive, in which case speak now and share your ideas.
- Say so if you have something to add to or have disagreements to these proposals and ask any questions. But please read the following posts first to avoid redundant questions/arguments.

I don't think we should proceed unless there are more than six composers willing to offer two pieces each or twelve composers willing to offer one piece each.

4b. If you are willing to made available to contact for help regarding performance or sheet music making, please reply too.

4c. If you feel like co-ordinating this project should it go ahead, let me know. Two heads are better than one!

4d. If you are willing to help out in any other way, please say so!

sorry to put a damper on this but i dont get it. Isnt that what composers do here already smile post their music for others to listen. Why a CD? If the idea(for composers atleast) is to get your music out there for people to listen, then post the pieces here. Does this CD project give a wider audience?or this CD is some kind of pride, oh yeah, i ahve got my music on CD? isnt this medium outdated anyway(2009!)?
I still like the original idea of a COmpetition here, atleast that makes it interesting smile

#1212150 - 06/05/09 09:43 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: dianekeeton]
Tar Offline

Originally Posted By: dianekeeton

sorry to put a damper on this but i dont get it. Isnt that what composers do here already smile post their music for others to listen. Why a CD? If the idea(for composers atleast) is to get your music out there for people to listen, then post the pieces here. Does this CD project give a wider audience? or this CD is some kind of pride, oh yeah, i ahve got my music on CD? isnt this medium outdated anyway(2009!)?
I still like the original idea of a COmpetition here, atleast that makes it interesting smile

These are excellent points, Diane. Let me clarify:

Yes, we already write and share music, so the idea of a competition or a compilation won't change that. However, both will encourage composers to write according to a theme, which gives it a nice sense of unification.

Many of us realised from previous discussions that, for various reasons, little productive organisation regarding the competition was happening. If you feel like contributing organisationally to the competition idea, there will be many grateful composers out there (including myself) as we have been waiting for something to happen for a month now!

Personally, however, I don't see how a competition achieves over a compilation, except for more organisational headache and potentially dangerous ego-war between participants if numbers are small (which I feel may be even more harmful than the ego gratification one gets from having one's music on compilation, and I for one already have a CD out and another one coming in November so it there's little ego-earning for me!). In addition, I would have thought that compilation is a better means to get a wider audience than a internal competition: at least it has a potential of getting out of this Forum! Getting the CD out will be Piano World Composers' triumph, not one of the "winning" participants.

Of course, if people want a competitive edge to this project we can always ask Frank to do a sticky thread on each Forum asking members to vote after the compilation. This nice twist would return it to the original idea of non-panelled, informal competition, and would in my feelings be the best of both worlds if it can be organised. If it can't, hey, at least we have encouraged people to write new music together!

Lastly, you're absolutely right: there's no point in restricting the form of this project to a physical CD in this age of digital distribution. Many, however, did not feel confident that we would get much participation as to force the idea of a CD out of feasibility. This thread is sounding out regarding this exactly. For simplicity, let's just keep referring to this proposal as a CD project!

If I've convinced you that all this is worth doing then it would be wonderful to have you participating! smile

Edited by Tar (06/05/09 09:55 AM)

#1212169 - 06/05/09 10:23 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'm in! laugh

I'd also be happy to record a few submissions. No guarantees on the quality of the recording, but I'll be sure I can play them pretty well.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1212199 - 06/05/09 11:18 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Kreisler]
musiccr8r Offline

Loc: Denver
I think this sounds fun!
I vote for aspects of nature.
For some reason I am still unclear on the selection process, am I correct that the entire piano world forum would vote, or will our organizers just pick? Not that it matters that much I guess, just curious. Also, I do have one other concern: what does this do in terms of copyright? I ask because I tend to write in groups or sets, so if I submit something that would be part of a larger grouping, and assuming it was even selected, how does this affect my ability/permission to submit it for publication with the set it was a part of, if that even happened? (sorry for the long-winded question, but I know it applies to some others here, like Kreisler, who have been published).

ETA: ohhhh! I have another suggestion, and since we're looking at an October time frame this might be appropriate: how about....well....scary themes? Eerie/mysterious/monster/whatever might fall under that broad umbrella. Maybe I'm just odd but I thought the "vampire play/background music" thread Thirith posted was soooo much fun. It tickled the old brain cells to think in terms of danger/ominous themes instead of the more typical beauty/lovely/melodic themes we might be drawn towards typically. But maybe that's just me. smile Perhaps we could broaden it to "October" in general. There could be nature/fall themes in there, storms, and monsters, so it wouldn't be all terror.

Edited by musiccr8r (06/05/09 11:26 AM)

#1212230 - 06/05/09 12:05 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: musiccr8r]
Tar Offline

1) alternative theme: October, I think that's a great idea! I'm trying to think of a more exciting alias for it... something like Towards Winter Solstice, it's more inclusive although it's not quite the same thing, he he wink

2) Selection: Diane has rightly pointed out that in this day and age we are no longer constrained by the size of the compilation. This being the case, it might be worth altering the proposal as follows: each composer is to submit no more than a total of X minutes of music (where 5 <= X <= 15, we'll see!), then it's up to the composer to only choose their best works.

Nevertheless, I think having a team of co-ordinators will be helpful if numbers get big. I think it is fair to exclude submissions on grounds of "bad performance", but it would not be fair to exclude on the basis of "bad composition" (who are we to judge?!). What are people's views on this?

3) Copyrights. I think the bottom-line is that composers retain their rights but grant limited, non-exclusive rights to Piano World (if the project becomes official) to distribute, the extent of which shall be discussed.

I think much can be learnt from previous projects. I shall make a point to ask Frank about what actually happened to the previous CD project at the distribution end, as well as whether and how submissions were previously filtered. Also, people who were involved in the past CD projects may be able to tell me what happened?

#1212250 - 06/05/09 12:53 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'd love to submit a composition. Thanks for the initiative! Any of those themes are fine with me, but I'd also personally prefer to stay away from the holiday-related themes such as October and "Winter Solstice".

Diane, excellent points; however, speaking for myself, I rarely have incentive (unless asked by someone else on rare occasion) to record my own works, or even to work them up to a good quality of performance. So most of what I post here - as most of what others post - tend to be midis. Also, postings here tend to mix together completed works with those seeking advice for improvement, with the emphasis, I think, on the latter. Finally, the recordings here are not organized in any way; so once a topic falls off the page, that is it, and it is mixed in with all of the other discussions.

So this project would [1] be an incentive for composers to perform their own works or for another pianist to volunteer to make a composer's day by performing his/her works, [2] raise the quality of the recordings posted, and [3] organize them into one place where we can all listen to them. It would also put an incentive on people to actually listen to all of the recordings, and would put us in the mood to really connect names with works. Plus, it would be a wonderful cooperative effort that would give us the feeling of a community, rather than simply a bulletin board where random strangers post up notices now and then.

But most importantly, I think it would be fun! smile

#1212299 - 06/05/09 02:23 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: pianojerome]
Kreisler Offline

Regarding copyright - could I propose that all composers protect their work with a Creative Commons license. That would allow PianoWorld (and others) the right to distribute, etc..., while still allowing the composers to retain ownership.

creativecommons.org
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#1212319 - 06/05/09 02:55 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Tar
1) alternative theme: October, I think that's a great idea! I'm trying to think of a more exciting alias for it... something like Towards Winter Solstice, it's more inclusive although it's not quite the same thing, he he wink

October is Spring in my part of the world smile - and we don't tend to do halloween...

#1212325 - 06/05/09 03:09 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: currawong]
Kreisler Offline

What about "Geography"

Everybody could pick a landmark or part of the world to write about. Anything from Times Square to the Matterhorn to Phuket to the Tajmahal to O Cristo Redentor. That would encompass a wide variety of styles, and everybody on the planet feels at least some kind of connection to geography, be it their hometown or places they've dreamed of visiting.

www.pianoped.com

#1212347 - 06/05/09 03:55 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Kreisler]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Count me in. I had one issue. Many of my recordings are actually midi renditions. Go to my Myspace page and see if you can figure out which ones are. Frankly I think they're better sounding recordings. If that's not good enough then I may need some help with performances. BTW, Kreisler I can do high quality location recording. If you can find a nice piano in Iowa City I'll get there and record it.

I've got pieces ready for aspects of nature, war and peace, holiday, love, and geography. Perhaps we should limit the time on the CD per composer.

#1212354 - 06/05/09 04:11 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Steve Chandler]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'm partial to the "nature" and "geography" themes.

#1212973 - 06/06/09 07:16 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: pianojerome]
Tar Offline

Okay, let's wait for a couple more days for more possible participants. Since there are already seven of us here, I think it's a reasonable number if we are able to submit two pieces each? If people are happy about this then I'll approach Frank.

Let's just summarise quickly on the popular themes mentioned, in no particular order:

1. Aspects of Nature
2. Places of the World

Steve, I think your MIDI recordings sound fine smile
Kreisler, thanks for pointing out the CC website. Useful link! I too recommend that we protect our works as Kreisler outlined.

I'm excited smile

#1212974 - 06/06/09 07:22 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Allright mates. I'm down with this project. Let's get er done!

#1214104 - 06/08/09 04:16 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: eweiss]
James McFadyen Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
Count me in!

Edited by Devilish Publishing (06/08/09 04:17 PM)

#1216146 - 06/12/09 02:24 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: James McFadyen]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I'm in as well. Geographical or nature oriented sounds good.

I can help anyone who only has Midi recordings.

#1216404 - 06/12/09 01:37 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Theowne]
James McFadyen Offline

Will you perform mine, Theowne?

#1216431 - 06/12/09 02:13 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: James McFadyen]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
What I meant was that if you only have a midi recording, I can convert that into a higher quality piano recording (.mp3) if you wish.

#1216455 - 06/12/09 03:02 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Theowne]
James McFadyen Offline

Ah, OK. I have the technology to do that. But thanks anyway!

#1216503 - 06/12/09 04:55 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: James McFadyen]
RogerW Offline

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one because of the copyright issue. My contract with my performing rights society doesn't allow me to use a Creative Commons license or in any other way let my music be performed for free. All performances and royalties and licenses involved has to go through them.

#1217238 - 06/14/09 03:38 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Kreisler]
Terimr Offline

Loc: Rochester, MI
Tad,

This is a great idea and thank you for organizing it!

I will sumbit a composition as well.. I have only one song scored, so that is what I will submit (which just happens to be my first and favorite..).

I will record using my Zoom H2 recorder.. but will need some help getting this to upload to my computer. If anyone is familiar with this recorder, please let me know. I can always record a demo of this at my local studio.

With all of the talent on this forum, I am very much looking forward to seeing what the end result will be!

Teri

#1217336 - 06/14/09 08:54 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Terimr]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Terimr
I will record using my Zoom H2 recorder.. but will need some help getting this to upload to my computer. If anyone is familiar with this recorder, please let me know.

If you do a search ("zoom H2" would probably do it) on the adult beginners' forum I'm sure you'll find the help you need. If not, I have a zoom H2 and can upload, so I might be able to give you some help (my computer geek son will fall about laughing at the mere thought of me offering anyone computer advice...). Try the AB forum first smile .

#1217577 - 06/15/09 11:27 AM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Kreisler]
Allazart Offline

I am interested.
War and Peace tickles my fancy, as does Water.
I usually produce only midi playback because I don't have acceptable piano recording equipment or venue.

I can try to record but it'll probably have humming noise and singing budgies lol.
I can correct the budgie issue by moving them far away but I'll probably have more trouble trying to eliminate the annoying hum in my recordings.

#1217729 - 06/15/09 05:03 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Allazart]
Kreisler Offline

I started my piece this morning. Unfortunately, it's going to be easier to write than it is to play. frown

www.pianoped.com

#1217732 - 06/15/09 05:10 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Kreisler]
Pukino777 Offline

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way
I personally dont see a need to create a specific CD. Why CD? If you like one piece, you dont want download whole CD, do you? And everybody can compile own CD by himself if he wants anyway. If you want compose to special themes, its better to make separated threads with themes and those who are interested, can compose to the themes.
I like nature themes (e.g. "Rain" or "Snow" piano pieces I posted on this forum already).

#1217743 - 06/15/09 05:55 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Pukino777]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pukino777
I personally dont see a need to create a specific CD....If you want compose to special themes, its better to make separated threads with themes and those who are interested, can compose to the themes.

I actually agree with you on this. It would be a bit like the Adult Beginner recitals, with pieces organised according to the themes, into threads. No trouble about deciding what's IN and what's OUT, either smile

#1218256 - 06/16/09 05:50 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: currawong]
Tar Offline

Hi everyone!

Very sorry I disappeared! Good to see people already starting working on this project! Promise I will PM Frank by Thursday. Things are just a little crazy over here!

Pukino (and, earlier, Diane) is right, with the day and age of electronic media we are no longer restricted by a "CD" idea. I am also for creating a general "compilation" project. Contrasting with an idea of an "indefinite" showcase, however, what is nice about a "compilation" project is that it specifies a theme and a deadline, thus encouraging waves of centrally themed participations.

All best,

Tar

#1219255 - 06/18/09 03:53 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
Tar Offline

Hi again everyone,

Have just PMed Frank, fingers crossed. I'm now message you to help finalise our favourite theme, please reply when you have a moment!

Tar

#1219636 - 06/19/09 12:36 PM Re: Proposal: Composer's Lounge CD Project [Re: Tar]
Tar Offline

And hello again!! :P

Discovered that I can't PM more than five people at the same time, so I propose Plan B...

I'll pick a theme from the two proposed out of a whim. If you feel strongly against Aspects of Nature or Places of the World as our theme please PM me.

As soon as I finish discussing this with Frank I'll let you know properly. We hopefully are going to get a subforum dedicated to this.

Happy composing smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (Alux, Allard, AndrewJCW, angga888, Atrys, 20 invisible), 1081 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156827 Topics
2304350 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
50 minutes 3 seconds ago
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission