2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lucky for us the Arts are cumulative and history offers a great breadth and depth of material; like a great musical smörgåsbord we can pick and choose the styles that we like most. No matter the amount of 'musical water under the bridge', for me it will always be Bach, Liszt, Franck and Debussy. smile

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by whippen boy
Lucky for us the Arts are cumulative and history offers a great breadth and depth of material; like a great musical smörgåsbord we can pick and choose the styles that we like most. No matter the amount of 'musical water under the bridge', for me it will always be Bach, Liszt, Franck and Debussy. smile

Nicely put. I've always loved playing Bach on the piano, even if we respectfully disagree about the use of pedal. wink

Like you, I haven't played nearly the amount of Bach on the organ as I would like -the Trio Sonatas are dear to my heart- but I suppose it's all about time constraints. At least with a piano (a Yamaha where I can switch to headphones when practicing early in the morning) there's more guaranteed access, and I'm going to tackle the 6th Partita during my stay in Finland- of which the flight leaves later today.

'Bach, Liszt, Franck and Debussy'. We're close soul mates as always. Beethoven, Liszt, Franck, Wagner, Elgar for me.

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ProdigalPianist
Up until this year the only Bach I had played was the 2 part invention in F, and a WTC prelude (Gounod Ave Maria one). And CPE's Solfeggietto. None of which I played well. When I was a kid I preferred big crashy Romantic rep. And my teachers mostly let me get away with it.
Now, 20+ years later and with a new teacher, no more of this! No whiney excuses now. I am to play Bach. Of course, now I have no major objections because I specifically told her I wanted to remediate the flaws of my earlier training.

Partita 1 in Bb was my adult introduction to Bach. I found it hard and confusing to read and harder and more confusing to finger.

However, I am happy to report that once I became familiar with Bach's language, internal logic and '3-D puzzle-like' structure, I am intrigued and challenged and I like it!

Of course, I was not exactly dragged kicking and screaming to Bach. I was not thrilled about it but my determination to face head-on what I lacked and found hard as a kid probably has a lot to do with it.

Oh, man do you and I have a lot in common! Preferred "big crashy Romantic rep" as a kid, particularly Chopin. My teachers were less indulgent, and sadly I lost interest in the piano through my teenage years. Wasted opportunity.

Looking forward, I, too, am looking at undertaking a Partita. My fingers and brain need the discipline, and I do love Bach! I can play the Scherzo from Partita III pretty cleanly and fast. Oddly, as a kid I didn't have much knowledge (still don't!): my favorite piece was Chopin Op. 31 Bb minor Scherzo, and here's a Bach Scherzo that is also fast and also starts with loud minor chords - and was playable at the time. (The Op. 31 most definitely was NOT! shocked )

Just the last couple of days I've been learning the Menuet II from the B-Flat Partita. Still have not decided whether to pick #1 or #3 as a first.

Where are you at? Have you polished this puppy off, or still in the learning process? I'd be interested, if you are likewise, in comparing notes in our studies.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
A
A
...I found studying species counterpoint in college opened up a far greater appreciation and understanding of Bach for me, it even helps with playing in that some of the inner logic of why something is going where (and where things will probably go!) relates to how you might place your fingering, it also facilitates sequential muscle memory in that you can group things into logical musical chunks which you can then practice separately...

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by gerg

Where are you at? Have you polished this puppy off, or still in the learning process? I'd be interested, if you are likewise, in comparing notes in our studies.

I belong to an adult piano club and have a monthly performance opportunity. Unfortunately, I'm just not able to practice as much as I'd like. One way I deal with this is to focus very narrowly...more than one piece or 2 very short pieces at a time just means that I spread my practice time too thin and don't progress fast enough on any.

Due to my childhood and young adult experiences (limited as they were wink ), and my feelings about what I considered my weaknesses then, my personal bias is that what I play for piano club must be thoroughly memorized and as polished as I and my teacher can possibly get it-as if it were a formal recital (most other club members play something every month and few memorize...because I had memorization 'issues' as a kid I now make myself memorize...but of course that means I don't play every month smile ).

Anyway, a couple of months ago I played the Gigue and the Allemande from the Bb Partita. The goal this month (as long as life and the boss don't intrude too much on practice time) is to have the Prelude and the 2 Menuets ready.

Because I was so unfamiliar with Bach it has taken me much longer than usual to learn and polish, but the good news is I am getting much better now that I've 'learned his language' so-to-speak. A 20 year period in which I did not play or even own a piano has not helped. I've only been back to it about a year and trills and Baroque ornaments are still (sigh) kicking my butt. I never used to have trouble with them but now they're just a lot of work to get right.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Don't feel guilty about not wanting to play Bach. Not every pianist has the mindset, passion, or possibly the patience and dexterity it takes to perform it at the pro level. Bach is hard, and I know of a German lady who is a very high level player and she isn't into Bach either. Bach can become redundant, boring at times, predictable, physically demanding.

Actually Bach is the majority of classical/Baroque that I work on, and Mozart. I dabble with Chopin. I used to hate Bach until I started playing the Inventions and WTC, now I have built a real taste and passion for the music, but I have a long way to go to get it to a pro level.

katt

W
W
I love Bach, but I'm only playing his easy pieces now though(Invention in F Major)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Bach is as close as we mere mortals can come to knowing the mind of God.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission