Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
97 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, anamnesis, AndyP, aceydawg, 28 invisible), 1318 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1216490 - 06/12/09 04:29 PM Re: "...play to the sound, not to the key." [Re: Farmer Dan]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Farmer Dan
I started trying this--to feel "the tactile feedback of my piano." About the same time, my tech taught me about let-off and said, "This is the point at which the piano and the performer communicate." I focused on this. My playing changed.

I'm not at all sure what your tech told you meant what you seem to say. IMO one cannot even feel the moment of let off unless one plays a key extremely slowly. In fact, I would find it very disconcerting if I felt the letoff every time I played a note or even occasionally.

I think your tech simply meant that after the let off there is nothing one can do to control the sound(not the same as saying what one does after let off is not important).

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1216498 - 06/12/09 04:49 PM Re: "...play to the sound, not to the key." [Re: Gary D.]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
All this noise is being added to the overall sound, and we do here it . . as pounding sounds. Most unpleasant.

John, I'm unclear how we would get a great deal of "pounding sound" unless the pounding is also coming from playing very loud. In other words, the pounding sound comes from depressing the keys very fast, but that also causes the hammers to strike very fast.

The only problem I see is that some people overplay to the point that the strings are already vibrating to the full extent possible and more hammer velocity no longer adds anything except distortion and then hammers and strings that snap.

Gary, I'm sorry I missed your question way back.

The keyboard generates an incredible amount of junk sound. It's masked, but not entirely, by the resonating strings. But if you ever get a chance, press a key like for an mf or f without the strings or without the hammer hitting the strings, and you'll see what I mean. The felt under the key does cut the noise some, but the piano is quite resonant as a whole, so that noise does travel to the soundboard and get amplified. You can approximate it by just rapping your knuckle on the board in front of the keys, especially with the damper pedal depressed. I do this with students just to show them that you really don't want your fingers hitting maximum velocity as the key reaches the bottom. I suppose this is why so many advanced artists use glancing blows/key strokes, so their finger velocity is decelerating as the key reaches the bottom. We cannot eliminate it entirely, but we surely can trim it from the excesses we often hear with many pianists.

Edited by John v.d.Brook (06/12/09 07:31 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1216501 - 06/12/09 04:53 PM Re: "...play to the sound, not to the key." [Re: Farmer Dan]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Farmer Dan
If I very slowly, agonizingly so, depress the key, I can feel the "bump" close to the bottom of the travel. Faster and I feel it closer to 1/4 of the way down.

Dan, although I'm not a technician, it's my understanding that you should feel this release point about half way down. If it's sooner or later than this, your instrument needs adjusting. It shouldn't take a competent technician too much time to adjust the keys properly for you.

#1216537 - 06/12/09 06:13 PM Re: "...play to the sound, not to the key." [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Had a quick thought - anyone interested in the mechanics of a piano action should go to a piano store and ask if they have a model of the action. Our local Steinway dealer keeps a model out on the display and it's interesting to see all the parts and how they work.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Forum Stats
77064 Members
42 Forums
159384 Topics
2341303 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission