Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#1202031 - 05/19/09 09:28 AM 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
The 2009 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition

Please use this thread for all discussion related to the competition, as per our 2005 Megathread. This includes: reviews, predictions, discussion on the performers and their repertoire, pictures, complaints about parking, etc.

FAQ

When and where is this competition?
It takes place in Bass Hall in Fort Worth, TX from May 22nd - June 7th. We're all interested to hear "live" reports from any PW people who live in Texas or will be at the competition. For a complete schedule, click HERE.

Who are the performers and how many times will I have to sit through the Liszt Sonata?
Find a complete list of the contestants and their repertoire, click HERE. A few people from the last competition made the cut again this year, and it will be interesting to see how far they get.

...and that's potentially five performances of the Liszt Sonata you're looking at.

Where's the live stream? I want to make fun of people who have memory lapses!
You can watch it HERE. Download their application (make sure your system matches the specs at the bottom of the page) and you're good to go.

ALSO, you can listen (audio only) via KTCU's stream: http://www.ktcu.tcu.edu/

What's at stake, aside from internet stardom?
The winner receives three years of management (covering travel), a CD recording, and a $20k prize. Read all about the prizes HERE. While the Cliburn's first prize cash award isn't as high as some others (the Cleveland Competition awards a $50k first prize), the concert schedule it awards is more extensive.

These competitions are so arbitrary! My favorite competitor was eliminated after the first round!
Yes, they are, and many wonderful pianists didn't even make it past the screening round this time. However, sometimes people who DON'T win end up getting more exposure than those who do. Examples from previous editions of the Cliburn - Naida Cole and Frederic Chiu. Although Cole is now a doctor, she had a substantial career after being eliminated from the competition in 1997. Chiu, of course, is a legend. For this year's competition, read about the panel of judges HERE.

I want to read reviews and find out what kind of food and which movies each competitor likes!
Well, stop wasting time and click HERE before anyone else does!

That's about it. I'll start off the discussion with my own prediction for this year's results:

1st Prize - Stephen Beus
2nd Prize - Spencer Myer
3rd Prize - Ran Dank or Soyeon Lee

Other finalists: Di Wu, Evgeni Bozhanov, Haochen Zhang

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1202345 - 05/19/09 07:02 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Brendan]
Drunk3nFist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
I wish I had near the ability to take part in the Van Cliburn Competition. The youngest competitors aren't far off my age and their repertoire is extraordinary!

#1202439 - 05/19/09 09:32 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Drunk3nFist]
kcostell Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Actually, I count up to 7 (EDIT: 6 now that Yue Chu has withdrawn) potential performances of the Liszt Sonata (4 prelim, 2 semis, and 1 final round). The next most popular are Gaspard de la Nuit with 6, the Bach/Busoni Chaconne with 5, and a tie between the Barber Sonata, Chopin's 3rd Sonata, Haydn's C Major Hob. 50, Liszt's Spanish Rhapsody, Schubert's Sonata D. 958, and Stravinsky's Trois Mouvements de Petroushka at 4.

Only three competitors have the Rach 2 (Sonata) programmed, putting it at the same level as the Hammerklavier, Chopin's G Minor Ballade, and Takemitsu's Raintree Sketch I (!) among many others.

Other interesting statistics:

-Besides the commissioned works, I count 6 living composers whose work could potentially be heard: Pierre Boulez(Douze Notations), Elliot Carter(Catènaires), John Corigliano(Etude Fantasy), Nikolai Kapustin(Sonata #1), Aaron Jay Kernis (Superstar Etude #2), and Carl Vine (Sonata #1, twice).

-Di Wu's programming of a Clara Schumann Mazurka is the only selected work by a female composer in the whole competition.

-27 of the (now 29) competitors have at least one work which is unique to them and not performed by anyone else--Sorry Michail Lifitz and Ilya Rachkovskiy.

-Derek Bermel has a $2,500 bet riding on Victor Stanislavsky making the semis, as he's the only competitor to choose Bermel's 'turning'.

-Vassilis Varvaresos wins my 'gutsy' award with a selection opening with the Moonlight Sonata in the prelims and closing with Islamey in the finals.

Is there a way of attaching spreadsheets to posts here? I have a list of works by composer that I'd like to stick on here but am not sure how.

Edited by kcostell (05/19/09 09:33 PM)

#1202467 - 05/19/09 10:14 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i will be watching Evgeni Bozhanov, who won Richter competition last year (2nd prize with no 1st prize), my teacher told me about him then.

#1202640 - 05/20/09 09:03 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Brendan]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Final Round

Beethoven’s 1st – 1
Beethoven’s 2nd – 1
Beethoven’s 3rd – 6
Beethoven’s 4th – 6
Brahms’ 1st – 2
Chopin’s 1st – 2
Chopin’s 2nd – 6
Liszt’s 1st – 1
Mendelssohn’s 1st – 2
Mozart’s 20th – 4
Mozart’s 27th – 1
Prokofiev’s 1st – 2
Prokofiev’s 2nd – 5
Prokofiev’s 3rd – 3
Rachmaninoff’s 1st – 1
Rachmaninoff’s 2nd – 3
Rachmaninoff’s 3rd – 2
Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody – 2
Ravel’s 1st – 1
Tchaikovsky’s 1st – 7

Is it sad that I'm surprised by only 2 performances of Rachmaninoff's D minor? The surprise concerto for me is Beethoven's 3rd.

Daniel

#1202644 - 05/20/09 09:13 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]
Brendan Offline

Originally Posted By: kcostell

Is there a way of attaching spreadsheets to posts here? I have a list of works by composer that I'd like to stick on here but am not sure how.

http://docs.google.com

#1202648 - 05/20/09 09:24 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Brendan]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Also interesting,

Quote:
With regret, pianist Yue Chu has had to withdraw from the Thirteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition four days before Preliminary Round begins, due to a pinched nerve.

That's unfortunate.

#1202657 - 05/20/09 09:36 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Brendan]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
What are the top 4-6 competitions in the world in terms of "importance"? Can they be ranked in order?

I'm guessing Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Van Cliburn, Queen Elizabeth in no particular order.

#1202669 - 05/20/09 09:54 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]

I wonder what the percent of pianists that were Asian born or Asian descent was at the first Cliburn ccmpetition? It is 50% of the original list for this year's Cliburn.

Edited by pianoloverus (05/20/09 10:38 AM)

#1202716 - 05/20/09 11:20 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'm continually impressed by Italy, a country the size of Arizona, who consistently sends 2-3 pianists to the Van Cliburn every time, and they often do very well (Cabassi, Plano, Pompa-Baldi).
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1202984 - 05/20/09 07:05 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Kreisler]

While reading the participant bios I was astounded to find that one was blind since birth. I have never heard of a blind pianist reaching this level(I believe Tatum had some sight and wasn't blind since birth).

Are there Braille music books? Even if yes, it would seem almost beyond belief to be able to learn so much complicated music this way. And of course there's the problem of not being able to see the keys even in the most difficult passages.

Has anyone heard of any completely blind pianist who has reached the level of being able to be a Cliburn participant?

Edited by pianoloverus (05/20/09 07:08 PM)

#1202988 - 05/20/09 07:20 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Kreisler]
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I'm continually impressed by Italy, a country the size of Arizona, who consistently sends 2-3 pianists to the Van Cliburn every time, and they often do very well (Cabassi, Plano, Pompa-Baldi).

Well, it may be the size of Arizona, but it has the population of California and New York together. Impressive nonetheless, but not quite like Arizona sending a steady stream.

Edited by Piano*Dad (05/20/09 07:21 PM)
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1203167 - 05/21/09 12:55 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Piano*Dad]
kcostell Offline

I've posted a spreadsheet with the repertoire list sorted by composer, along with links to (mostly IMSLP) sheet music for each piece in the public domain.

Thanks to Brendan for the Google Docs suggestion

#1203171 - 05/21/09 01:07 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]
JBB_Piano Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Very little Mozart, comparatively little Chopin (only one ballade, no scherzos, and no Grande Polonaise), usually more perform the Brahms Paganini Variations...and some surprising popular choices such as the Beethoven Op. 106, Schumann Davidsbundlertanze (and one competitor playing the Schumann Sonata #3 which is almost never performed).

#1203212 - 05/21/09 03:24 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
kcostell Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I wonder what the percent of pianists that were Asian born or Asian descent was at the first Cliburn ccmpetition? It is 50% of the original list for this year's Cliburn.

You can get a list of the competitors at each competition at the Cliburn site. I count 3 each from Japan and Korea (out of 46 total) at the first competition.

#1203259 - 05/21/09 07:52 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]
Brendan Offline

Originally Posted By: kcostell
I've posted a spreadsheet with the repertoire list sorted by composer, along with links to (mostly IMSLP) sheet music for each piece in the public domain.

Neat spreadsheet, thanks for posting that.

Playing order posted:

http://cliburn.org/index.php?page=news_detail&newsID=96&rtn=newsroom

#1203362 - 05/21/09 10:54 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Brendan]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Drei Davidsbundlertanzen????? Cool!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1203466 - 05/21/09 02:18 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Kreisler]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Drei Davidsbundlertanzen????? Cool!

VERY COOL INDEED!!!!
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1203477 - 05/21/09 02:47 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: DameMyra]
bplary1300 Offline

Loc: Maine
I've got my money on Beus smile

#1203515 - 05/21/09 04:03 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
What are the top 4-6 competitions in the world in terms of "importance"? Can they be ranked in order?

I'm guessing Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Van Cliburn, Queen Elizabeth in no particular order.

Queen Elizabeth seems out of place there. What about Leeds or Hamamatsu?

#1203738 - 05/21/09 11:49 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Piano*Dad]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

Well, it may be the size of Arizona, but it has the population of California and New York together. Impressive nonetheless, but not quite like Arizona sending a steady stream.

and it has an artistic and musical history and culture second to none! (need we list off the names of the composers, musicians, artists and works of art (culinary art too!) Italy has given us?
Bellissima!

Sophia

#1203880 - 05/22/09 08:25 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: sophial]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Well, I've bookmarked the live webcast url and can't wait for the competition to begin. I am pulling for both Stephen Beus and Spencer Meyer. Both are terrific musicians.
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1203986 - 05/22/09 12:14 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: DameMyra]
kcostell Offline

If you're on a slow connection or the webcast turns out to have connection troubles, another option is the audio-only stream at KTCU (assuming it doesn't get preempted by TCU baseball again).

#1204011 - 05/22/09 12:45 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Kreisler]
rrb Offline

Loc: Bend, USA

Not sure why this is surprising given Italy's pianistic tradition cf. Arturo Benedetti Michelaneli, Maurizio Pollini

Perhaps you were referring indirectly to the absence of competitors from other countries of similar size? The UK, for example. Or Spain, or Scandinavia. And I believe it is a while since there has been no competitor from Latin America.

#1204055 - 05/22/09 02:01 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: rrb]
kcostell Offline

Am I missing something regarding the login/password on the cliburn.tv site? Cliburn.org claims that "no registration is required"...

EDIT: It seems to be working now

Edited by kcostell (05/22/09 02:04 PM)

#1204073 - 05/22/09 02:26 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]
opus119 Offline

The volume is certainly low. I have my speakers turned up full-blast and all of the other sound icons to max, and it's still not loud enough.

#1204104 - 05/22/09 03:02 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for this link!

Daniel

#1204112 - 05/22/09 03:13 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Ridicolosamente]
kcostell Offline

The webcast worked great for the first performance, but for all intents and purposes died out during the interview with Kudritskaya (it won't last more than 5 seconds without stopping). Is anyone else having trouble with this?

#1204118 - 05/22/09 03:23 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Ridicolosamente]

For the first competitor the picture and music seemed to work, but when Beus started the music and video stop and start every 10 seconds. I also couldn't get any sound from the local radio station.

Is there anything I can do?? I don't know much about computers!

#1204121 - 05/22/09 03:26 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
kcostell Offline

The KTCU feed seems to be working for me (you may need to have Windows Media Player or some similar software installed on your computer). If you're not getting any sound from it, maybe try closing all open programs before opening your browser, or accessing it from a different browser (I'm using Chrome right now).

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 ... 31 32 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (36251, accordeur, alfredo capurso, ABC Vermonter, 52 invisible), 1760 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153707 Topics
2253290 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
5 minutes 34 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
5 minutes 41 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
6 minutes 58 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
23 minutes 57 seconds ago
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
Today at 02:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission