Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 31 of 32 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 >
Topic Options
#1216867 - 06/13/09 03:19 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pno]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
the author of the article defends his opinion here:

http://jessicamusic.blogspot.com/2009/06/van-cliburn-competition-delivers-odd.html

i think it's good that we hear different opinions on the competition outcome, and the debates about the competition or competitions in general will benefit the future judging process of all competitions.

btw, if you had read the blogs at the Cliburn, you probably will recognize the name of a bloger: Brad Hill. here is an interview with him on the subject:

http://www.cassandrapages.com/the_cassandra_pages/2009/06/discussing-the-cliburn-with-brad-hill.html

(check the part 2 & 3 on left navigation bar)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1216876 - 06/13/09 03:33 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: signa]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
What a foolish person...he says he "stands by his reporting"...which includes posting blatantly false statements and attributing a shy/deferential behavior to some nonexistant mental deficiency / "idiot savant " syndrome.

#1216889 - 06/13/09 04:14 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Theowne]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Nubo's not autistic is he?

#1216906 - 06/13/09 04:39 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: LiszThalberg]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nope.

#1216971 - 06/13/09 07:30 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: LiszThalberg]
poulencfan Offline

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Debussy20
Nubo's not autistic is he?

The thought that Tsujii might be autistic certainly started going through my head (and others') many times while watching him play (in person at Bass Hall) and on the webcasts. He was carefully insulated from the press by his entourage during the entire competition. When asked even the simplest of questions, his translator(s) would whisper furiously to him and there would be lots of verbal prodding and a long, long wait before he would give even a brief answer. For the most part, he displayed a flat emotional aspect that was weird.

The more I saw of Tsujii, the more I was reminded of the Peter Sellers movie, "Being There." That Tsujii might be autistic or have some other problem is not out of the question. He's got quite a buffer zone of handlers around him who can easily obscure anything they want to.

#1216995 - 06/13/09 08:21 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: poulencfan]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There were also backstage post-performance interviews/performer portraits where you can see him speaking with his translators in a non-rehearsal setting, and which (if you understand Japanese) does not sound like conversations with an autistic person.

Edited by Theowne (06/13/09 08:21 PM)

#1217037 - 06/13/09 10:28 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Theowne]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Well autistic is not a bad word (or rather it should not be), nor is it a diagnosis for us to bandy about lightly.
But I will admit sharing some of poulencfan's impressions.
Pf, it sounds like you saw him live. Does he maintain the same stereotypical head rotations when he is not playing? Or is there some acoustic need for the constant head turning?
Oh and what's a "professional teenage herder"??

#1217063 - 06/13/09 11:36 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Andromaque]
poulencfan Offline

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
Well autistic is not a bad word (or rather it should not be), nor is it a diagnosis for us to bandy about lightly.
But I will admit sharing some of poulencfan's impressions.
Pf, it sounds like you saw him live. Does he maintain the same stereotypical head rotations when he is not playing? Or is there some acoustic need for the constant head turning?
Oh and what's a "professional teenage herder"??

Don't have the answer to the teenage herder question, Andromaque. But I saw two of Tsujii's recitals and his concerto performances live, the rest (including the awards) on the webcast. He did the same odd head movement routine over and over even when he was sitting in the audience. It was the same group of moves over and over, which strongly reminded me of three people I know (one kid, one teenager, one adult) who are moderately to severely autistic.

I wouldn't write a review calling Tsujii autistic based on those observations alone. But after watching him a few times, and then watching those anxious, hovering handlers of his, it kept crossing my mind how easy it would be for them to cover for Tsujii by claiming he didn't speak English and answering for him.

#1217071 - 06/13/09 11:58 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: poulencfan]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Conspiracy!

#1217076 - 06/14/09 12:15 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: poulencfan]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
pf, the teenage herder reference comes from your own profile!!care to explain?? laugh

#1217082 - 06/14/09 12:50 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Andromaque]
poulencfan Offline

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
pf, the teenage herder reference comes from your own profile!!care to explain?? laugh

Egads, what a doof I am - I completely forgot about that phrase in my profile. A teen herder is exactly what it sounds like. I've got 2 teenagers here - the oldest has been launched (and I hope, continues to stay that way).

Herding involves constantly checking (through visual exam or word of mouth) that your teens: 1) are generally where they say they are; 2) haven't been arrested; 3) haven't pierced or tattooed yet another body part; 4) aren't stoned or inebriated; 5) aren't (oi!) pregnant. This is in addition to the everyday herding that includes chauffering and general nagging.

#1217084 - 06/14/09 01:02 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: poulencfan]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This sounds all too familiar....

#1217125 - 06/14/09 07:13 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Arghhh]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Originally Posted By: Arghhh
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

The whole breathing/watching the conductor issue is invented by people who have never played an orchestra or string quartet. Sight is a lot less important in good ensemble playing than people think it is.

In the Clavier October 2007 issue, there was an interview with Jean Barr (collaborative piano professor at Eastman) she says one of the things she does with her students, like a piano/clarinet duo, is to have them play facing away from each other. This forces them to listen to each other and the result is they actually play together better than when they are trying to look at each other. Tsujii must be an expert in this area, since he relies on his hearing for a lot more than a sighted person does.

There may be a few issues getting cues from a conductor, but these would be minimal, and I'm inclined to agree with Phlebas that solutions for these places could be found.

I would say just because he is blind he is not better. In alot of ways after watching his performances. It seems he relied much more on other people following what he did.

I do disagree with learning things by ear. I think it takes away from what the individual can bring to the music. He is learning someone else's interpretation not his own. When I first saw him play, I did not know he was blind at all. I remember finding his playing rather dull despite his program of the Chopin etudes.

#1217134 - 06/14/09 08:44 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: jdhampton924]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: jdhampton924

I would say just because he is blind he is not better.
I don't think anyone ever claimed this.

Originally Posted By: jdhampton
I do disagree with learning things by ear. I think it takes away from what the individual can bring to the music. He is learning someone else's interpretation not his own. When I first saw him play, I did not know he was blind at all. I remember finding his playing rather dull despite his program of the Chopin etudes.

I think it depends on whether or not he just learns the notes from the recordings or he copies the interpretation also. As long as his teacher tells him about all the other markings in the core besides the notes, so he knows what the composer wrote, he would be at least theoretically free to use his own interpretation.

I think some performers have heard or listen to other recordings before or while learning a work, some listen to a recording after learning a work, and others almost never listen to another recording of the work.

Edited by pianoloverus (06/14/09 08:46 AM)

#1217165 - 06/14/09 11:17 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Some competitors may not listen to a lot of recordings, but they've participated in enough masterclasses, festivals, and attended enough recitals that they are VERY familiar with other people's interpretations of the literature.

If anyone feels that Tsujii is copying someone else, then I'd ask them to provide some kind of evidence that his interpretations are more derivative than Son/Vacatello/Zhang/etc...

And if it's so obvious that Tsujii is simply copying someone else's interpretations, then why haven't we seen a single post that names the subject of his plagiarism? If it's so obvious that he's copying people, then compared to the other performers, it should be relatively easy to say who he's copying. Yet nobody has...
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1217184 - 06/14/09 12:55 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Kreisler]

Some competitors may not listen to a lot of recordings, but they've participated in enough masterclasses, festivals, and attended enough recitals that they are VERY familiar with other people's interpretations of the literature.

If anyone feels that Tsujii is copying someone else, then I'd ask them to provide some kind of evidence that his interpretations are more derivative than Son/Vacatello/Zhang/etc...

And if it's so obvious that Tsujii is simply copying someone else's interpretations, then why haven't we seen a single post that names the subject of his plagiarism? If it's so obvious that he's copying people, then compared to the other performers, it should be relatively easy to say who he's copying. Yet nobody has...

This is very interesting because I believe there are some pianists on this forum who have claimed to never listen to anyone else's recording(or I assume master class performance etc.). I never really believed that this was the case for 99% of them.

#1217193 - 06/14/09 01:13 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Yeah, and for the Cliburn competitors, all of whom have attended some kind of music school or conservatory, a good bit of their formal training has included studio class, masterclass, and recital attendance.

Besides, listening to somebody doesn't necessarily mean you're going to copy them. Sometimes the most interesting interpretations come from making the decision to be different from what you've heard.

Remember, one of the most original pianists in the 20th century, Glenn Gould, admitted to being influenced by his teacher and Rosalyn Tureck's playing.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1217201 - 06/14/09 01:51 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Kreisler]

Remember, one of the most original pianists in the 20th century, Glenn Gould, admitted to being influenced by his teacher and Rosalyn Tureck's playing.

I'm reading the very psychologically oriented bio of Gould called Bravo Fortissimo. It also mentions that Gould studied Schnabel's Beethoven playing a lot, especially the Concerto #4.

#1217216 - 06/14/09 02:30 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
newport Offline

Speaking of influence, according to my google search Zhang said last year his favorite pianist was Schnabel, and his favorite performance was Ricter's Schubert b-flat Sonata 2nd movement. (He was playing Beethoven and Schubert and he's a YouTube fanatic. :))

#1218173 - 06/16/09 03:46 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: kcostell]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For those who have access to the Naxos online music library, the prelims are all available to listen to.

#1219316 - 06/18/09 06:44 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Arghhh]
newport Offline

Just received my DVD order.

They are barely audible. No where near the quality of the on-line webcast. Nor are they any better than those videos posted on YouTube. I don't mind the no-frill packaging. But the below professional level audio quality is more than I can take. I am hugely disappointed.

#1219337 - 06/18/09 08:12 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: newport]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Originally Posted By: newport

They are barely audible. No where near the quality of the on-line webcast. Nor are they any better than those videos posted on YouTube. I don't mind the no-frill packaging. But the below professional level audio quality is more than I can take. I am hugely disappointed.

I was going to order...now I need to find ways to save the streaming...

Thanks for telling us!

#1219360 - 06/18/09 09:09 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: newport]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey

I would definitely contact them. Perhaps there were some technical problems in copying the DVDs. If they can't replace them with something of a better quality I would return them for a refund.
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1219370 - 06/18/09 09:34 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pno]
newport Offline

Originally Posted By: pno

I was going to order...now I need to find ways to save the streaming...

I still hope the CD's I haven't received yet will be of a better quality.

Originally Posted By: DameMyra
If they can't replace them with something of a better quality I would return them for a refund.

I wrote them a letter to complain but not sure I am prepared to give them any more hard time (unless they offer to). I am sure they are frustrated about what happened as well.

#1219377 - 06/18/09 09:42 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: newport]
newport Offline

Already got a reply (3 hours after I sent them the email):

Feel free to mail it back and we will refund the cost of the DVDs . These are sold as unedited recordings; they were never intended to be or advertised as professional, studio-engineered products. In the fall, harmonia mundi will release CDs of all three medalists using selections that were performed at the competition but “cleaned up” to have the professional sound quality you are seeking.

Marcia Garoon
Van Cliburn Foundation
Director of Finance/Business Manager

#1219455 - 06/19/09 02:46 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: newport]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Already got a reply (3 hours after I sent them the email):

Feel free to mail it back and we will refund the cost of the DVDs . These are sold as unedited recordings; they were never intended to be or advertised as professional, studio-engineered products. In the fall, harmonia mundi will release CDs of all three medalists using selections that were performed at the competition but “cleaned up” to have the professional sound quality you are seeking.

Marcia Garoon
Van Cliburn Foundation
Director of Finance/Business Manager

If I understand the problem correctly, the issue has nothing to do with the editing, but simply that the recording level was set way too low. The probable reason for that is that most professional equipment is operating at a different level than consumer equipment, and somebody forgot to make the adjustment when producing the DVDs.

Ironically, the one and only commercial CD I ever bought that had this problem came from harmonia mundi, back in the early days of CDs.

#1219504 - 06/19/09 08:07 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: newport]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA

Which performances/performers did you get?

Daniel

#1219640 - 06/19/09 12:42 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Ridicolosamente]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i got some DVDs from them too but only watched one so far, which wasn't too bad and is audible for sure. but i agree the quality of picture and sound aren't exceptionally good. i surely will check the others to see if they're acceptable.

#1219675 - 06/19/09 01:35 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Arghhh]
pianozuki Offline

Loc: Bellevue WA, USA
Originally Posted By: Arghhh
For those who have access to the Naxos online music library, the prelims are all available to listen to.

Here's what's currently available in the Naxos Music Library, to which I subscribe:
http://www.rcblue.com/Misc/VanCliburnCompetition.png

I've listened to a few of these--they are all high-quality recordings.

BTW I can highly recommend the NML. I paid 225 USD for one year. I couldn't be more pleased.
http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com

#1219770 - 06/19/09 05:50 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Ridicolosamente]
newport Offline

Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente

Which performances/performers did you get?

I bought the Zhang DVDs and a whole bunch of other CDs.

Page 31 of 32 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, Atrys, Adam Coleman, ando, 46 invisible), 1442 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74232 Members
42 Forums
153557 Topics
2250513 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Supporting young student
by Cardinal201
22 minutes 32 seconds ago
The Search
by mlpiano88
58 minutes 45 seconds ago
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
Today at 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
Today at 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission