Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1213759 - 06/08/09 02:46 AM Do you think Liszt lacks melody?
ecthelion Offline

I don't know, but generally, be it his transcriptions or his originals, I feel Liszt tends to sacrifice melody for virtuosity. It's almost as though he goes out of the way to make a piece diabolically hard and yet it doesn't have much of a musical effect.

Some of his are good, I particularly like his Polonaise in E, but the overwhelming majority of his works (or rather, what I've heard of them) seem to be technical exercises. I hardly think Liszt can be categorized romantic. His motifs are vague, or myabe my musical understanding is too limited to grasp his (?) greatness.

He might have been the greatest pianist, and I think that really is his claim to fame.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1213767 - 06/08/09 03:31 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes.

He has Liebestraume to his credit and Un Sospiro. But he was otherwise undistinguished as a melodist. He did not write much vocal music and no operas, so it seems he understood his limitations.

You could postulate some other factors as well. He spent the early part of his career as a touring pianist until 1847, and he created spectacular show pieces for his piano skills by writing transcriptions around other people's melodies. He wasn't really forced by circumstances to rely on his own melodic inventiveness until after he stopped touring.

Second, once he did begin composing his own music in earnest, he paid as much attention to structure and harmony as he did to melody. This required him to look for certain sorts of melodies that could serve multiple purposes, first as a dramatic opening attention-grabber, and then next at a much slower tempo as a love song or arioso. His Tarentella is a perfect example of this, but so is the Sonata or his tone poem Les Preludes.

He became quite good at this and deserves some respect for his development of this compositional technique, but the price was high because generally his melodies are not very singable. In this regard he joins Beethoven, who liked to work with motifs rather than melodies, because motifs were ideal for developing grand architectural structures. Look what he did with the first movement of the Fifth Symphony, building a huge edifice on a simple motif Da-da-da DA. The difference was that Beethoven's efforts always had a dramatic punch to them that could turn a simple motif into something tempestuous, while Liszt's compositions lack such drama.

Except - in one circumstance, which is when Liszt played them himself. This is probably the third piece to the puzzle. The accounts of his playing all talk of one element that was unique and memorable, and that was the emotions he conveyed to the listener. Audiences were simply overwhelmed emotionally from his performances. There has been no one since Liszt who can play his music with his power and affect (with the possible exceptions of Anton Rubinstein and Ervin Nyierghazi).

Until the day comes when someone arises who can play Liszt like he could, we'll have to answer your interesting question in the positive.

#1213772 - 06/08/09 03:41 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
FunkyLlama Offline

Originally Posted By: ecthelion
I hardly think Liszt can be categorized romantic.
*monocle pop*

#1213775 - 06/08/09 04:00 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Numerian]
PlayWellOneDay Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Numerian
He has Liebestraume to his credit...

Victor Borge did a hilarious version of Liebestraum which pretty well sums up what many people thought of Liszt's work both now and in his lifetime.

#1213795 - 06/08/09 07:23 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I don't know, but generally, be it his transcriptions or his originals, I feel Liszt tends to sacrifice melody for virtuosity. It's almost as though he goes out of the way to make a piece diabolically hard and yet it doesn't have much of a musical effect.

Some of his are good, I particularly like his Polonaise in E, but the overwhelming majority of his works (or rather, what I've heard of them) seem to be technical exercises. I hardly think Liszt can be categorized romantic. His motifs are vague, or myabe my musical understanding is too limited to grasp his (?) greatness.

He might have been the greatest pianist, and I think that really is his claim to fame.

Where did that "roll eyes" icon go? I need it right now.

#1213803 - 06/08/09 07:49 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: wr]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: wr

Where did that "roll eyes" icon go? I need it right now.

Here you go!

I'll see your rolleyes and raise you a facepalm:

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1213807 - 06/08/09 08:05 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
This has moved beyond rolleyes and facepalms, so I give you:

Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#1213821 - 06/08/09 09:06 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Janus K. Sachs]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#1213857 - 06/08/09 10:38 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Thracozaag]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey

#1213859 - 06/08/09 10:38 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Thracozaag]
beginningpianist Offline

And hungarian rhapsodies. Parts of the paganini etudes are his creation too.

If he "goes out of his way" to make it hard, why'd he simplify the paganini etudes?

#1213864 - 06/08/09 10:48 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Thracozaag]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Thracozaag

grin

#1213897 - 06/08/09 11:45 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Originally Posted By: Thracozaag

grin

Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

#1213899 - 06/08/09 11:46 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: argerichfan]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Indeed it does, Jason.

WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!!!

#1213912 - 06/08/09 12:06 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I hardly think Liszt can be categorized romantic.

What makes a composer romantic?

#1213936 - 06/08/09 12:32 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Numerian]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC

He has Liebestraume to his credit and Un Sospiro. But he was otherwise undistinguished as a melodist. He did not write much vocal music and no operas, so it seems he understood his limitations.

Don't forget that the three Liebesträume are piano transcriptions by Liszt of three of his (vocal) songs. As to the statement that he did not write much vocal music and no operas, that is not true. He wrote over 80 songs, he wrote over 70 sacred choral works and almost as many secular choral works, and he did write an opera Don Sanche, albeit it a very early work. Nevertheless with such a fairly large collection of works for voice and for chorus - where melody certainly is important - I don't see how it can be said that he was not a melodist. Just because these works are not known, overshadowed, perhaps, by the popularity of his virtuosic piano works and his tone poems, doesn't mean that Liszt was not a melodist.
[...]
[...] There has been no one since Liszt who can play his music with his power and affect (with the possible exceptions of Anton Rubinstein and Ervin Nyierghazi).

We don't know that for a certainty, since no one alive has heard him play to compare him with current day virtuosi. That he received great accolades for his playing from critics and public alike, that women swooned when he played, and that he was considered the greatest pianist to appear on the concert stage, are as much a mirror of the times and a measure of the hyperbole in writing as they are quantifiable statements of fact. Remember that while Liszt was not the first he was among the first of a new breed of traveling piano virtuosi, so comparisons with previous piano players put him in a special category the likes of which were not known to many concerto-goers of the time. I don't think we can conclude from that that "there has been no one since Liszt who can play his music with his power and affect [sic!] ...."

Regards,

#1213965 - 06/08/09 01:20 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: BruceD]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Remember that while Liszt was not the first he was among the first of a new breed of traveling piano virtuosi, so comparisons with previous piano players put him in a special category the likes of which were not known to many concerto-goers of the time. I don't think we can conclude from that that "there has been no one since Liszt who can play his music with his power and affect [sic!] ...."

Liszt was typical of the period and played and wrote similar works to that of Czerny, Thalberg, Gottschalk, Heinrich Herz, among many others at the time. He took the performance to a different level than these other contempories, and gained popularity through "parlor tricks" as they were called.

http://www.escholarship.org/editions/vie...mp;brand=eschol

"How sad that natural gifts as rare as those possessed by M. Liszt are only used to convert music into a shell-game and conjuring show! That is not at all the destiny of this enchanting art. It should touch us, move us, not astonish us. The emotions are inexhaustible, but astonishment soon wears off. M. Liszt, you are very young; you are an excellent sight-reader and already a very skilled musician; you possess wonderful fingers; unfortunately, however, you were born at a time when pianists have made music into silliness and you have been carried away by the torrent.…Renounce these brilliant frivolities in favor of more solid advantages."

In my oh so humble and honest opinion, his works are beautiful, but get boring after awhile. This is the same for music of his contemporaries as well. The constant virtuostic runs up and down the keyboard over the steady bass line becomes the same and predictable after listening to a few of their works.

At least Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart have some kind of variation and play between the two hands to keep the music interesting and exciting. This isn't saying that they're not easy to play, and nor are the works of Liszt, Gottschalk, and the others.

John

#1213999 - 06/08/09 02:02 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think the OP should have a more complete knowledge of Liszt's work (which is vast) before making generalizations about him.

Ask Leslie Howard.

#1214003 - 06/08/09 02:04 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/liszt73

Lots of Leslie Howard Liszt recordings.

#1214066 - 06/08/09 03:26 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts

Yes, I agree. wink Liszt's music is very difficult to play and probably for us to interpret, but I think Leslie Howard has done one of the best recordings I've ever heard.

My uncle Ronald had a chance to chat with him last summer while attending a master class. He asked about the recordings and about memorization. Leslie Howard went on to explain that out of the thousands of pieces that he played, he only had a few memorized. He would bring some back to memory as he'd practice for a concert, but the recordings were done with the sheet music on the stand.

John

#1214089 - 06/08/09 04:08 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: John Citron]
GreenRain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Somewhere in Europe
Many works by Liszt are worthless and lack in melody. On the other side, he wrote many good, virtuoso pieces.

#1214091 - 06/08/09 04:10 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: John Citron]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John Citron

Yes, I agree. wink Liszt's music is very difficult to play and probably for us to interpret, but I think Leslie Howard has done one of the best recordings I've ever heard.

My uncle Ronald had a chance to chat with him last summer while attending a master class. He asked about the recordings and about memorization. Leslie Howard went on to explain that out of the thousands of pieces that he played, he only had a few memorized. He would bring some back to memory as he'd practice for a concert, but the recordings were done with the sheet music on the stand.

John

His accomplishment will surely be one of the great pianistic achievements. I have heard a handful of the pieces performed better than Howard did, but as a whole, his complete Liszt is staggeringly good. Thanks for sharing your uncle's experience!

#1214092 - 06/08/09 04:11 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: GreenRain]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GreenRain
Many works by Liszt are worthless and lack in melody. On the other side, he wrote many good, virtuoso pieces.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. smile

#1214096 - 06/08/09 04:12 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
GreenRain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Somewhere in Europe

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. smile

I agree. smile

#1214100 - 06/08/09 04:15 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: GreenRain]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Many works by Liszt are worthless and lack in melody.

Many works? I realize it's just a matter of opinion, but could you give some examples?

#1214115 - 06/08/09 04:27 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: argerichfan]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Many works? I realize it's just a matter of opinion, but could you give some examples?

It could well be, Jason, that he's refering to many of the ones he hasn't yet heard, so he'd have difficulty naming them. Give the kid a break! frown

Cheers!

#1214146 - 06/08/09 05:22 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does anyone know if Leslie got into the guiness book of world records for the complete recording of Liszt? I think I read that somewhere...

But a fantastic achievement nonetheless.

#1214156 - 06/08/09 05:37 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
COntrary to may people, my favourite Liszt pieces are the "less difficult" ... Chapelle de Guillaume Tell, Les cloches de Geneve ... the transcriptions are usually a bit too much for me.
It took me a while to get into Liszt but i realize maybe i was a bit biased; he was a great composer , probably overshadowed by the virtuoso.

#1214163 - 06/08/09 05:50 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: argerichfan]
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I doubt he knew that more than five Liszt pieces existed.

#1214253 - 06/08/09 08:25 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: virtuoso418

I doubt that any motive but meanness exists for such a gratuitous insult.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1214284 - 06/08/09 09:33 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Interesting you say something like this in light of your comments in another thread:

If you don't anything constructive to say to the post, then don't say anything at all. [...]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (accordeur, 36251, Aibohphobia, 49 invisible), 1758 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156832 Topics
2304447 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for SoCal retailers to try an RD-800 or MP7
by Delphian2001
08/21/14 12:19 PM
Verdi-Liszt Miserere, Giovanni Bellucci's magnifico interpre
by Michael Sayers
08/21/14 12:00 PM
Frequency: [chaos] FrEQuueeEeeNCyyyyyyY
yy [time] = frequency

by A443
08/21/14 10:51 AM
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
08/21/14 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
08/21/14 03:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission