Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1214306 - 06/08/09 10:12 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
boo1234 Offline
500 Post Club Member

if you ask me Brahms lacks in melody too.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1214341 - 06/08/09 11:39 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: boo1234]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

This thread has just gone from really bad to horrible.

#1214345 - 06/08/09 11:47 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: boo1234]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I think we're getting lost in generalizations here. Sure, there's Liszt and Brahms out there that isn't terribly tuneful, but I can think of many examples of works by both composers where just the opposite is true. Liszt: B minor Sonata, Un Sospiro, Liebestraume, Benediction de Dieu dans las Solitude. Brahms: many of the intermezzi, esp'y all of the Op. 117 pieces, Op. 118 No.2, the middle of Op. 119 No. 2 the Rhapsodies (including Op. 119 no. 4) and the wonderful things he does (some of them very melodic) with a simple classical theme in the Handel Variations.

For my money, the all-time champ of the "Find the Melody" game is Schumann. Most of his stuff is nothing but dense harmonic textures and sometimes weird rhythms. But then consider Carnaval, the Abegg Variations, the F# major Romance, and Traumerei -- some of the greatest melodies ever written for piano. Most of the reason a composer is considered great boils down to memorable melodies. We just need to keep looking and listening until we find the ones we love.

Edited by Emanuel Ravelli (06/08/09 11:51 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1214351 - 06/08/09 11:56 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Emanuel Ravelli]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Thank you for your thoughtful post, Phil. I agree with you completely. Another great melodist is Rachmaninoff. I was listening to Elyso Bolkvadze play his Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini today with Jansung Kakhidze and the Tbilisi Symphony Orchestra. What a masterful work! cool

#1214352 - 06/09/09 12:00 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
For Heaven's sake...what about the Consolations? Also Neil McKelvie has the most gorgeous video on youtube (Bostonpianoamateurs) of a French piece that Liszt wrote for voice. It is absolutely beautiful!!

#1214366 - 06/09/09 12:38 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I don't understand why people are attacking Ecthelion. He made it clear that he was describing his impressions of Liszt. He admitted his experience is limited. He does not deserve anyone's scorn. Suppose the Liszt enthusiasts were to try to enlighten him by offering a broader viewpoint and suggestions for listening, instead of disdain for venturing an opinion. Other readers of the thread might learn something too.

#1214374 - 06/09/09 01:18 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Ferdinand]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
While the quality of Liszt's overall compositional output was inconsistent, when he was at his best he did, in fact, write many beautiful and memorable melodies. They're there if you take the time to explore his work and seek them out. One of the challenges with Liszt, however, is the overall difficulty of much of his piano music. Its not the kind of stuff that is easy to sightread - and often the "melodies" are buried in the complexity of the writing. The Transcendental Etudes are perfect examples.

#1214393 - 06/09/09 03:00 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Ferdinand]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ferdinand
I don't understand why people are attacking Ecthelion. He made it clear that he was describing his impressions of Liszt. He admitted his experience is limited. He does not deserve anyone's scorn. Suppose the Liszt enthusiasts were to try to enlighten him by offering a broader viewpoint and suggestions for listening, instead of disdain for venturing an opinion. Other readers of the thread might learn something too.

Anyone showing a high-handed and completely misguided disdain for a major-league composer of whom they obviously have little understanding deserves lots of scorn. Besides which, the original post didn't even ask for other people's thoughts on the subject, but was just worded as an outright dismissal, with just the tiniest hint that the writer might admit to not really being in a position to hold the opinion that was expressed. The whole post is sort of troll-like, actually. And I really don't care a whole lot about attempting to "enlighten" someone exhibiting such a closed mind right off the bat - it usually isn't worth the effort. They need to grow up a lot first, no matter what their chronological age.

There, now do you understand a little better?

#1214394 - 06/09/09 03:10 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: boo1234]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: boo1234
if you ask me Brahms lacks in melody too.

As has been pointed out, music doesn't depend on melody to be great. There are a zillion examples of exceptionally good music that isn't particularly "melodic", or if they do contain a melody, it isn't particularly distinguished, starting all the way back before Bach.

And Bach himself wrote a lot of great stuff without much melody - the very first prelude in the WTC being the classic example. The basic material of many of his fugues isn't really good melody - he just understood the contrapuntal potential of it and took it from there. Beethoven likewise wrote a great deal of excellent stuff based on banal melodic material, if there was any at all; it's practically a trademark of his style.

Edited by wr (06/09/09 03:10 AM)

#1214419 - 06/09/09 05:01 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: wr]
davaofthekeys Offline

The thing with clear, defined (humable?) melodies in music, at least to me, is that they make you tire of the piece more quickly. A melody often becomes very predictable once you´ve learned it, while more complex layers of harmony does not in the same way. (I know this is a generalization, just thought I´d put the thought out there). I get utterly sick of playing very melodic pieces by for instance Mozart, but spend lots more time exploring and discovering the harmonic structure in some of Liszt´s works. To each his own.

#1214428 - 06/09/09 05:55 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: davaofthekeys]
David Ramezani Offline

Loc: Sweden
Here is a piece with some of my favourite melodies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZgte0ObLw&fmr=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRa36DV6zJ8&fmt=18

And it is written by no other than Liszt.

And if you are looking for beauty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avdHNjOmWBU&fmt=18

David Ramezani

#1214451 - 06/09/09 07:20 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: John Citron]
ecthelion Offline

Originally Posted By: John Citron
"How sad that natural gifts as rare as those possessed by M. Liszt are only used to convert music into a shell-game and conjuring show! That is not at all the destiny of this enchanting art. It should touch us, move us, not astonish us. The emotions are inexhaustible, but astonishment soon wears off. M. Liszt, you are very young; you are an excellent sight-reader and already a very skilled musician; you possess wonderful fingers; unfortunately, however, you were born at a time when pianists have made music into silliness and you have been carried away by the torrent.…Renounce these brilliant frivolities in favor of more solid advantages."

In my oh so humble and honest opinion, his works are beautiful, but get boring after awhile. This is the same for music of his contemporaries as well. The constant virtuostic runs up and down the keyboard over the steady bass line becomes the same and predictable after listening to a few of their works.
John

Along the lines of what I meant when I said "sacrifice melody for virtuosity".

I just wanted to know what the general consensus was like. From what I can see here, I might have just said what many others think about Liszt.

Originally Posted By: Ferdinand
Suppose the Liszt enthusiasts were to try to enlighten him by offering a broader viewpoint and suggestions for listening, instead of disdain for venturing an opinion. Other readers of the thread might learn something too.

Exactly.

#1214478 - 06/09/09 08:42 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: ecthelion]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: ecthelion
I just wanted to know what the general consensus was like. From what I can see here, I might have just said what many others think about Liszt.

You might have. But you should also consider that it may be, as you said in your OP, that your own understanding (and that of others, too) is limited.

There's a difference between an opinion, an informed opinion, and a matter of fact. It honestly sounds like you've made up your mind and are seeking evidence and validation for that predetermined position. Rather than start with a conclusion and looking for data to support it, it's customary (and safer) to start with the evidence (and an open mind) instead.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1214530 - 06/09/09 10:01 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: sotto voce]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There's nothing wrong with ecthelion asking a loaded question. It is a serious question, after all, and more credit to ecthelion if he provides his or her own opinion to kick off the discussion. It is not as if this was a hit and run thread that ecthelion abandoned. Some of the responses have too much condescension for my taste.

He did not, after all, ask whether M. Liszt was a great composer. Liszt was a great composer and remains underrated even to this day. He was an even greater man in the history of Western music, perhaps one of the most influential considering the composers and performers he selflessly championed.

But he was not a great melodist, of which there are not that many in Western music. Franz Schubert, P.I. Tchaikovsky, Frederic Chopin, Johann Strauss, Richard Rodgers, Arthur Sullivan - these are men with a unique and rare talent to write many great melodies throughout their career. This doesn't even count the opera composers like Verdi, Bizet, Bellini, and Donizetti.

Liszt is not in this company. So what? He is still a great composer who had many other gifts and I play his pieces constantly for my own enjoyment. He just is not in that pantheon of great melodists.

Ask someone familiar with Western music to "sing me some Liszt" if you want an answer to ecthelion's question, and you'll see the responses are limited.

#1214547 - 06/09/09 10:32 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Numerian]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Not being considered a great melodist is hardly the same as lacking melody. If Liszt suffers in this regard in comparison to Schubert, Chopin or composers of opera, the difference is one of degree, not of kind.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1214549 - 06/09/09 10:34 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: sotto voce]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's a pretty big degree, though.

#1214575 - 06/09/09 10:55 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Numerian]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I don't agree, and I think it's a matter of opinion unless one can inventory all works in Liszt's vast corpus (after first defining, of course, what defines the presence or absence of melody and what makes melodies qualitatively better or worse than one another).

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1214581 - 06/09/09 11:03 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: sotto voce]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I walk out of Iolanthe or Die Fledermaus singing and humming all the great melodies presented. I don't do that after a Liszt recital. He provides different satisfactions, not the least of which is the talent of the pianist in presenting Liszt's music. Maybe if you assembled Liszt's greatest hits in one concert I would say "great melodies", but the vast corpus of his work does not elicit the same reaction.

#1214599 - 06/09/09 11:33 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Numerian]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

But Liszt's vast corpus of work is indeed vast. How much of it are you familiar with? My own acquaintance is very limited, yet offers no basis at all for an generalized assessment of lack of melody or lack of "great melodies."

I don't think the comparison between operas and a Liszt recital is apposite. Opera is supposed to be melodic, after all, and Liszt didn't write any; the pieces programmed at a Liszt recital are a tiny fraction of his oeuvre that may or may not be melodic. It's not necessarily a consideration in programming recital pieces.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1214603 - 06/09/09 11:42 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Originally Posted By: virtuoso418
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Originally Posted By: GreenRain
Many works by Liszt are worthless and lack in melody.

Many works? I realize it's just a matter of opinion, but could you give some examples?

I doubt he knew that more than five Liszt pieces existed.

Interesting you say something like this in light of your comments in another thread:

If you don't anything constructive to say to the post, then don't say anything at all. [...]

It was a joke. I should of inserted a smiley. chill.

#1214606 - 06/09/09 11:46 AM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It wasn't funny. A smiley doesn't turn an insult into a joke.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1214614 - 06/09/09 12:02 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: sotto voce]
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
It wasn't funny. A smiley doesn't turn an insult into a joke.

Steven

Whether or not you find it funny, that's fine. But it was never an insult in the first place to turn into a joke. You sure do take these things seriously, it's quite funny.

BTW, green: In case you took it as an insult, I apologize. smile

#1214628 - 06/09/09 12:20 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

virtuoso418,

You seem preoccupied with the seriousness with which other people "take these things." You might take your own advice to "chill" and "relax."

BTW, saying you're sorry that someone took offense at your offensive remark isn't an apology for making it.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1214632 - 06/09/09 12:26 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: sotto voce]
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
virtuoso418,

You seem preoccupied with the seriousness with which other people "take these things." You might take your own advice to "chill" and "relax."

BTW, saying you're sorry that someone took offense at your offensive remark isn't an apology for making it.

Steven

LOL, so I can't say sorry? Wow.

Sotto, this conversation is over. You have too much blinding hostility. Good day.

#1214643 - 06/09/09 12:37 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Intentional irony is amusing; psychological projection, not so much.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1214649 - 06/09/09 12:52 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: sotto voce]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Yeah, man, I mean that B minor sonata is SUCH crap, eh? Full with abstract abnormalities, I wouldn't even classify it as music, Liszt, can't find a single melody in there, I tell ya! It's just like contemporary music nowadays, isn't it? Shame, shame.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1214650 - 06/09/09 12:56 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Many works? I realize it's just a matter of opinion, but could you give some examples?

Interesting you say something like this in light of your comments in another thread:

If you don't anything constructive to say to the post, then don't say anything at all. [...]

You're one to be talking.

#1214718 - 06/09/09 02:38 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

You're one to be talking.

Who are you.

#1214735 - 06/09/09 03:10 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: virtuoso418]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Do you really expect anyone to believe it was a joke? It's easy to insult someone and when called out on it claim it was a "joke" and "I should have inserted a smiley".

#1214843 - 06/09/09 06:03 PM Re: Do you think Liszt lacks melody? [Re: Horowitzian]
debrucey Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
The Chasse-Neige etude has a very nice melody.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (ajames, Alex-SapRenovation, AmateurBob, Abby Pianoman, 40 invisible), 1642 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156152 Topics
2293157 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
36 minutes 59 seconds ago
Who's inspiring you right now?
by Arizona Sage
Today at 08:58 AM
Best way to dispose of an old piano?
by fizikisto
Today at 08:33 AM
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission