2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1214202 06/08/09 06:52 PM
A
OP Offline
A
yeah...

http://forpiano.com/FILEX/D/d93l2u9d6w/abba--dancing_queen.pdf

how do i play the thing in the 2nd measure?? lol
sorry for being really bad at this

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think you're asking about the 1/16-1/8-1/16. The first 1/16 is played at the same time as the quarter note underneath it, and the whole sequence takes only as long as the quarter note. I'd think "quick-slow-quick". It's a syncopation, that helps the music swing.

For the accent I'd look for the same pattern later in the tune (the end of the first page has one, and there are more) and see how the words fit. "dig in the" probably has the accent on "dig". Generally the intro "previews" syncopations and chord changes that are used later in the piece, so it's worth looking thru it.

Swing and syncopation aren't strictly as written in pop, as they might be in classical, so if you know the tune you can take your cues and feel from the vocals. Maybe it's on youtube and you can get an idea there.

This looks like a nice swing-y tune that you'll like playing. It won't be long til you're not "really" bad at it, but "a little better", and then a little better still laugh

Enjoy -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
OP Offline
A
frown

now i have no idea how to play that thing in the third measure... i tried counting it out in 16 pieces... but that seems way too complicated

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
For each beat of the measure, you do need to count "1234" silently to your self. Tap your foot very slowly four times, for the four beats of the measure, but think silently for each foot tap, "1234." Then learn what to play for each beat of the measure. The dotted eight note followed by a sixteenth note means you play on the "1" and the "4" of a beat. Then, put all four beats together. It will seem very complicated at first, but this way you will hear what it is supposed to sound like. Then you will get a feel for it and can move up in speed. I assume you know that the second chord played in the right held is held over, you only play it once.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Listen to the song and imitate it. It looks more complicated then it sounds. Skip the 6th to start with it and only play the highest melody note.

K
K
You need to get familiar with the song, like KK said: listen to the song, it will give you the right feel for interpretation.

Kennard McDonald

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission