Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1211126 - 06/03/09 03:08 PM Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
I have been working with one of our resident concert pianist, Jeffrey Biegel, helping him develop his live online teaching program. (Disclaimer: Although I count Jeffrey as a friend, he also does some advertising on Piano World).

If you aren't familiar with Jeffrey, please see his bio and watch/listen to a few of his YouTube postings (or download/play some files from his web site).

Jeffrey Biegel BIO

Jeffrey is now offering live interactive piano lessons online using Skype.

We need to get some audio/video of this process in action live.

We are looking for a volunteer who already has a web cam, and is either familiar with Skype, or willing to learn quickly. (Skype is available free, and is pretty easy to use).
There is also a program called Pamela for Skype that offers a free 30 day trial. Pamela for Skype allows you to record your Skype audio/video sessions.

Bottom line, we need someone interested in a free piano lesson from a world renowned concert pianist/teacher, in return for recording the session.

Here's your chance to get help with that tricky passage, fingering, phrasing, whatever you want. It's also a chance to "meet" Jeffrey, who besides being a monster pianist happens to be a really nice guy. Time allowance will be made for getting the interactive audio/video working live over the Internet (You will still get a full, real lesson).

Please let me know if you are interested in helping, and how you plan on video taping your side of the online lesson.
If you plan on using a regular camcorder, how do you plan on feeding the video over the Internet, and how will you get a copy of the recording to me?

If you're using a web cam (built in and/or external), have you used Skype? Do you know how to record with it?

One last thing. While you don't need to wear a tux or a gown, neat professional appearance would be appreciated.

www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1211152 - 06/03/09 03:39 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My teacher and I regularly go around to other teachers to get opinions on my playing, advice for technique, and help on the future. I don't have a webcam, but I use Skype with a mic but my teacher has her nice Mac Desktop right next to her pianos so she can record video from there of her playing on the webcam.

I haven't talked to her yet, but I'm 100% sure she would love to listen to anything Jeffrey has to say about either of our playing. I'm not sure how we'd record the session, but I'm definatly interested.

Matt

#1211191 - 06/03/09 04:21 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I vote for it being Matt smile

Cathy

#1211203 - 06/03/09 04:44 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
Piano World Offline

Originally Posted By: Debussy20
My teacher and I regularly go around to other teachers to get opinions on my playing, advice for technique, and help on the future. I don't have a webcam, but I use Skype with a mic but my teacher has her nice Mac Desktop right next to her pianos so she can record video from there of her playing on the webcam.

I haven't talked to her yet, but I'm 100% sure she would love to listen to anything Jeffrey has to say about either of our playing. I'm not sure how we'd record the session, but I'm definatly interested.

Matt

Matt,

Please discuss with your teacher and let me know what you come up with.

We'd like to be able to show the "live" lesson from both perspectives (Jeffrey's and yours).
Your teacher is of course more than welcome to join in.

Ideally the video you make on your side should show you of course, but it would be helpful if it were possible to get a shot of how you see Jeffrey coming through in the laptop as well.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1211207 - 06/03/09 04:52 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Alright! I've got a lesson tonight, I'll talk to her about it.

#1211255 - 06/03/09 06:07 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i suspect Skype's sound/video quality may not be good enough though. there's another online service:

http://www.wiziq.com/Virtual_Classroom.aspx

which provide video, audio and white board for each session. the video screen is small though in classroom mode, but the sound quality is excellent. i tried lessons with my teacher using it.

#1211259 - 06/03/09 06:15 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: signa]
Piano World Offline

I trield Skype with Jeffrey, and with a member in Australia.
And I know Jeffrey has used Skype to teach a student in Singapore (Jeffrey is in NY).

The quality is more a matter of the equipment used, and most importantly, the speed of the connection.

It seemed to work ok.

But thanks for the tip signa, I'll check it out.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1211978 - 06/04/09 11:05 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Talked to my teacher, we're very game. We actually talked and after watching Jeff's videos and reading his bio... we'd take a lesson for even if it's not free.

I have a camera, I doubt it's the quality that we need. I'll try to get one of a better quality. My teacher has a nice Mac Desktop right next to a Steinway Grand and Grotrian Grand. I think it's a good setup for a demo lesson.

Do you have any idea when this lesson would be.

Matt

#1212221 - 06/05/09 11:52 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
Piano World Offline

Originally Posted By: Debussy20
Talked to my teacher, we're very game. We actually talked and after watching Jeff's videos and reading his bio... we'd take a lesson for even if it's not free.

I have a camera, I doubt it's the quality that we need. I'll try to get one of a better quality. My teacher has a nice Mac Desktop right next to a Steinway Grand and Grotrian Grand. I think it's a good setup for a demo lesson.

Do you have any idea when this lesson would be.

Matt

Sounds good Matt.
The lesson would be soon, we'd like to get the videos done as soon as possible.
I'll IM you Jeffrey's direct contact information so you and your teacher can work out the details with him.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1212237 - 06/05/09 12:12 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Just popped in to say that if you have any problem converting the eventual video, so that it can be streamed over the Internet, placed on a web page, or made viewable by anyone, I would be happy to convert it to a flash streaming format, or the format of your choice.
Just let me know.

Regards,
Rob

#1212240 - 06/05/09 12:25 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Matt and Jeff, make sure to let us know how it works out! I would guess that if the audio quality is good enough then many aspects of interpretation can be fruitfully discussed. But what about other aspects - how does it compare to a real-world lesson? What, if anything, is lost? It's an interesting experiment, in any case. Have fun! If it works nicely I would happily pay a lesson or two to get feedback from Jeffrey on some pieces.

P.S. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

#1212242 - 06/05/09 12:33 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: pianovirus]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: pianovirus
. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

That need not be a problem.

As I recall, when testing out Skype, with Frank, he seemed to have a glass of some amber liquid handy, while we chatted :-)
As it was mid-morning in Australia , I could sadly not reciprocate :-(

#1212333 - 06/05/09 03:36 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: R0B]
Piano World Offline

Originally Posted By: R0B
. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

That need not be a problem.

As I recall, when testing out Skype, with Frank, he seemed to have a glass of some amber liquid handy, while we chatted :-)
As it was mid-morning in Australia , I could sadly not reciprocate :-(

Strictly for medicinal puposes of course grin
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1212337 - 06/05/09 03:42 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Remember the student here is under the legal drinking age in his country. laugh

#1212401 - 06/05/09 05:55 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DragonPianoPlayer
Remember the student here is under the legal drinking age in his country. laugh

WHAT?!?!!?

#1213109 - 06/06/09 11:52 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
Philip Lu Offline

Loc: Hacienda Heights, CA
He means that you won't be able to have the occasional beer after like pianovirus.
smokin but in two years you'll be at the legal smoking age!

#1214074 - 06/08/09 03:41 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: pianovirus]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Matt and Jeff, make sure to let us know how it works out! I would guess that if the audio quality is good enough then many aspects of interpretation can be fruitfully discussed. But what about other aspects - how does it compare to a real-world lesson? What, if anything, is lost? It's an interesting experiment, in any case. Have fun! If it works nicely I would happily pay a lesson or two to get feedback from Jeffrey on some pieces.

P.S. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

Ok guys, had a lesson with Jeffrey this morning. He plays sooo well it's unreal. I didn't play exceptionally well, but I think some of the ideas he talked about were hard for me to accomplish because I yet to think about it as in-depth as he described. I learned quite a bit in my hour long video lesson with him, and I'll probably be back to get some more lessons.

I think there's actually not a lot lost over the internet. I dont think any problems with the instruction really happen because you can see his hands while he can see yours. He corrected my on some thirds fingering.

We were able to discuss the first few bars of Beethoven's Op. 10 No. 3, a piece I just started. He helped me shape some ideas that will carry into, hopefully, the sonata competition I will do early next year.

It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to do it again.

#1214090 - 06/08/09 04:08 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Fantastic! Will we get to see it in some fashion, then?

#1214097 - 06/08/09 04:12 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Horowitzian]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I need to upload the audio and video to a computer and send them to Frank. I think he's going to put some of it together into basically a demo. Hopefully not all of it, as I played like crap for some laugh

Matt

#1214117 - 06/08/09 04:31 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

grin

I see. We'll be excited to see it for certain. smile

#1214126 - 06/08/09 04:40 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Horowitzian]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was extremely impressed with Matt's playing--he has excitement and energy, none of which was lost in the Skype lesson setting. I am so glad I decided to teach in this manner. I truly feel as though I am in the same room with the other pianist. Matt's teacher, Cathy Combs, is a respected teacher in her own right. She had wonderful questions, which I hope I answered with insight and expertise. The sound (mind you, without any external microphones) was quite fine indeed. Nothing was lost in the transmission. What students need to realize, is that with the technology today of video, I can see exactly what is happening and can see why something is happening in the playing--good and less good. The teaching is the same, actually, as if we were in the same room. Teaching Matt the technical regime was flawless--he got it immediately. Working on some Beethoven was equally fine, as I was able to impart some historical reasoning to support Matt in his approach to the piano, dynamics, etc. I think everyone will find the videos when they are ready and uploaded to be most helpful in deciding if they wish to study with me in this fashion. It certainly beats the cost of an airline ticket! And I am happy to share the Golden Age traditions of playing with everyone who wishes to improve their playing in any way they see the need.

#1214127 - 06/08/09 04:48 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: JBiegel]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
This is really cool. I love it when technology works the way it is supposed to and for new purposes such as this. I would like to try this some time myself. I need to get a camera that will easily interface with the computer, but that's about it.

John

#1214168 - 06/08/09 05:56 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: John Citron]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

This is an excellent idea, and I'm excited for Matt that he had such a wonderful opportunity to learn from such a great pianist and teacher!

#1214227 - 06/08/09 07:34 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: pianojerome]
Piano World Offline

Matt and Cathy, thank you for participating and video taping (thank your Dad for his help too Matt).

I'm glad you thought it went well, Jeffrey did too.

While I don't expect this technology to replace in person lessons, I believe it works ideally for situations where distance is an issue, providing the opportunity to study with top-notch pianist/teachers without the need to travel.
It's also ideal when a pianist (or teacher) wants some help/coaching with a particular project or challenge.

Another of our professional members, Jazz Pianist/composer/author Steve Barta
( http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...uthor%20St.html ) is looking at doing something similar for Jazz pianist.

Matt, at least you played the Beethoven, when I played for Jeffrey and Steve Barta (at Steve's home) I played something like Moondance, and my rock version of Moonlight Sonata :-)

Looking forward to getting the other videos, now I just have to learn how to edit/splice them.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1214269 - 06/08/09 09:12 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Alright, I'll try to send them tonight! If not, it'll be a DVD through snail mail.

Matt

#1214417 - 06/09/09 04:46 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Matt and Jeffrey for sharing feedback on your experiment. Good to hear this went so well!

Originally Posted By: Piano World
While I don't expect this technology to replace in person lessons, I believe it works ideally for situations where distance is an issue, providing the opportunity to study with top-notch pianist/teachers without the need to travel.

That's exactly how I was thinking of it. I would not want to substitute my "normal" piano lessons (which luckily are also with a top-notch pianist), but it would be great to complement them by this kind of "online master class" from time to time, to hear other opinions and get new ideas. I'd be happy to take this opportunity as well soon!

#1214496 - 06/09/09 09:06 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: pianovirus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
PV, who do you study with , if I may ask. (Feel free to ignore, if this is too intrusive smile

Edited by Andromaque (06/09/09 09:06 AM)

#1214631 - 06/09/09 12:24 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Andromaque]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would be happy to explore the idea of an online master class--any thoughts?

#1214737 - 06/09/09 03:13 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: JBiegel]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm down! laugh

#1214798 - 06/09/09 04:43 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: JBiegel]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JBiegel
I would be happy to explore the idea of an online master class--any thoughts?

I thought for myself it would be great to get some additional feedback from an accomplished musician other than the personal teacher at an appropriate time. I'm currently preparing a little recital program for autumn and would be happy (as soon as I feel reasonably prepared) to use such a kind of lesson as a good opportunity to get a "second opinion".

Others may have different expectations or additional ideas. In any case, I'm looking forward to the video from your lesson with Matt! thumb

(Adromaque -> PM!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
102 registered (AmateurBob, angga888, accordeur, Anne'sson, Alan F, anotherscott, 31 invisible), 1336 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325540 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission