2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,338 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1214007 06/08/09 02:09 PM
OP Offline
I have a piano that a cat has urinated on. Is there a product that anyone has used that will remove this odor and not just mask it?

C
C
I am not a tech (but I appreciate mine). My cat let loose on my hardwood floor and I successfully removed the odor with a product called "Urine-Off" (no, it's not a joke). You can read about it at http://www.urineoff.com/. I don't think they sell from the web, but there's a dealer locator on the site. They make separate products for cat, dog and horse urine, so make sure you get the right one. It takes more than one application (the site has instructions), and you may need to re-finish the surface afterward. Once the urine odor is removed there's a very slight perfume odor until it's completely dry. But it won't stink at all when you're done. (My schnozz is particularly sensitive.) BTW I have no ties to this company. Good luck!

Chopless #1214248 06/08/09 08:18 PM
O
O
Vinegar is an excellent around the house cleaner for urine cleanup. It removes the smell completely. I used it a lot when I had a puppy, and it really helped. It is important that you remove the smell, because if some is still there the cat might pee there again. Be careful where you put it. (I wouldn't go and pour a gallon of vinegar into the action or anything) It will work though.

I once worked on rebuilding a Steinway grand that the owner let her cats use as a litter box. Strange but TRUE! Some of the wood was saturated. Ack! Needless to say it was purchased at a bargain price. The only thing that really eliminated the smell was sealing the wooden parts with shellac. Other than that, I have had good results with extra strength Febreeze.

msks #1214340 06/08/09 11:34 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
A gallom of gas and a road flare work really well!

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
Dale Fox #1215119 06/10/09 08:11 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice guys.. I'm curious though. Would'nt 1/4 gallon of gas be plenty for 1 cat??? Just kidding, just kidding.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I'm just a pet-owning (and piano-owning) consumer, and I like Nature's Miracle. It's enzyme-based with no noxious scent of its own, and is a very popular product (available at Petco or most any comparable retailer of pet supplies).

I've used Nature's Miracle on wood surfaces and keep some in a small spray-top bottle when misting an object seems more appropriate than saturation or soaking. It has the consistency of water and leaves no residue, but I would still be cautious about using any liquid product in or on a piano.

FWIW, I'm always amazed how fantasies of cruelty toward cats are good for a laugh though one would be pilloried for saying something comparable about dogs.

Steven

sotto voce #1215146 06/10/09 09:33 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce

FWIW, I'm always amazed how fantasies of cruelty toward cats are good for a laugh though one would be pilloried for saying something comparable about dogs.

Steven

I think it is because if a person acts like a cat they are considered to be criminally insane, but if they act like a dog, they are considered to be a good 'ol boy.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission