2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I was extremely impressed with Matt's playing--he has excitement and energy, none of which was lost in the Skype lesson setting. I am so glad I decided to teach in this manner. I truly feel as though I am in the same room with the other pianist. Matt's teacher, Cathy Combs, is a respected teacher in her own right. She had wonderful questions, which I hope I answered with insight and expertise. The sound (mind you, without any external microphones) was quite fine indeed. Nothing was lost in the transmission. What students need to realize, is that with the technology today of video, I can see exactly what is happening and can see why something is happening in the playing--good and less good. The teaching is the same, actually, as if we were in the same room. Teaching Matt the technical regime was flawless--he got it immediately. Working on some Beethoven was equally fine, as I was able to impart some historical reasoning to support Matt in his approach to the piano, dynamics, etc. I think everyone will find the videos when they are ready and uploaded to be most helpful in deciding if they wish to study with me in this fashion. It certainly beats the cost of an airline ticket! And I am happy to share the Golden Age traditions of playing with everyone who wishes to improve their playing in any way they see the need.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
This is really cool. I love it when technology works the way it is supposed to and for new purposes such as this. I would like to try this some time myself. I need to get a camera that will easily interface with the computer, but that's about it.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
This is an excellent idea, and I'm excited for Matt that he had such a wonderful opportunity to learn from such a great pianist and teacher!

Sam
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Matt and Cathy, thank you for participating and video taping (thank your Dad for his help too Matt).

I'm glad you thought it went well, Jeffrey did too.

While I don't expect this technology to replace in person lessons, I believe it works ideally for situations where distance is an issue, providing the opportunity to study with top-notch pianist/teachers without the need to travel.
It's also ideal when a pianist (or teacher) wants some help/coaching with a particular project or challenge.

Another of our professional members, Jazz Pianist/composer/author Steve Barta
( https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...nist,/%20Composer%20/%20Author%20St.html ) is looking at doing something similar for Jazz pianist.

Matt, at least you played the Beethoven, when I played for Jeffrey and Steve Barta (at Steve's home) I played something like Moondance, and my rock version of Moonlight Sonata :-)

Looking forward to getting the other videos, now I just have to learn how to edit/splice them.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Alright, I'll try to send them tonight! If not, it'll be a DVD through snail mail.

Matt

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Matt and Jeffrey for sharing feedback on your experiment. Good to hear this went so well!

Originally Posted by Piano World
While I don't expect this technology to replace in person lessons, I believe it works ideally for situations where distance is an issue, providing the opportunity to study with top-notch pianist/teachers without the need to travel.

That's exactly how I was thinking of it. I would not want to substitute my "normal" piano lessons (which luckily are also with a top-notch pianist), but it would be great to complement them by this kind of "online master class" from time to time, to hear other opinions and get new ideas. I'd be happy to take this opportunity as well soon!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
PV, who do you study with , if I may ask. (Feel free to ignore, if this is too intrusive smile

Last edited by Andromaque; 06/09/09 09:06 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I would be happy to explore the idea of an online master class--any thoughts?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I'm down! laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JBiegel
I would be happy to explore the idea of an online master class--any thoughts?

I thought for myself it would be great to get some additional feedback from an accomplished musician other than the personal teacher at an appropriate time. I'm currently preparing a little recital program for autumn and would be happy (as soon as I feel reasonably prepared) to use such a kind of lesson as a good opportunity to get a "second opinion".

Others may have different expectations or additional ideas. In any case, I'm looking forward to the video from your lesson with Matt! thumb

(Adromaque -> PM!)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Depending on where you live in the world, we can certainly do a 9am (New York time zone) master class. This would probably help those in Asia, which is usually 12 hours later, and Europe, which can be 5-8 hours later. Problem, then, would be earlier time zones. I would have to have separate master classes for time zones that are earlier than New York.

My PayPal account is set up for individual lessons for one hour, two hours and even three hours. You would be surprised how many pianists want three hour lessons when they are preparing big recitals, auditions or concerto appearances. For a master class, however, I might need to figure out a way to have the students who are performing pay one fee, and 'auditors' visiting to just watch and listen pay a normal auditor fee. If there is enough interest, I can explore that.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I see - you mean a real online analogy to master classes (I just used the term without thinking... still thought of 1:1 sessions). Regarding more than 1:1, I think it shouldn't be a problem to have many audio participants in a Skype session -- I'm not sure about video though?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I keep the laptop web cam facing the piano--works well in private lessons too. I think one can invite friends on Skype--not sure if there is a limit. I would have to find that out and then keep an updated count on a forum post so when the limit is reached for maximum numbers of people allowed in one Skype session, people won't go to PayPal and purchase an auditor ticket. For now, the 1:1 is probably best way to teach this way. But I am open to the master class idea. My goal is to establish a fine online studio of private pupils. My testimonial will explain it all once it is finalized and uploaded here.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
What's the market for this? If I was headed for Carnage Hall and needed prepping, I sure wouldn't do it this way...

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Believe it or not, it works extremely well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
While the viewing of the hands/movements/fingering, etc., can be observed and interchange of ideas and suggestions made, I can't see that the tonal quality would be the same as in person lessons. That a good teacher like Jeffrey could help a student improve, I wonder how going to specific places in the music and notating could be done. There seems to be some logistic problems that a person to person lesson, i.e., both in the same studio could solve or be approached, that the Skype video would not be as able to do.

I do feel that much could be gained by it--the video lesson--tho and a lesson with a performing artist be of great benefit and, as pointed out in a previous post, save flight money. The opportunity for someone in a remote location to have that ability is wonderful. I'm like Auntie Lynn in another respect that coaching for a recital or orchestra engagement might be better in person.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Again, having done this on several occasions, I have found nothing to be lost. I can tell in two measures over Skype what needs to be fixed--even tonally--just from watching and listening. This might not work for many teachers, but I was fortunate to have studied with Adele Marcus who helped me immensely to teach in all situations and manner of technology.

Last edited by JBiegel; 06/13/09 09:44 AM.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
AVI files and DVD sent to Frank! Lessons with Jeff are worth it. He's got so much info on the pieces I'm playing, and such a down to Earth approach.

Matt

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Varcon and Auntie Lynn may have valid points, but I can tell from watching if the fingering doesn't work--also by the sound--I was able to help Matt on the fingering of intricate thirds in the LH of Beethoven Opus 10 #3--he nailed it after a few tries. We isolated upper and lower notes of the thirds, upper note legato, lower note staccato and vice versa, did them in groups, patterns etc--Skype or in my studio, it worked just as well. I can also show by use of the arms and wrists how to get a beautiful sound--again, on Skype or in the studio. The physical means will remain the same, and I can tell if it is a singing sound or not. It is great fun!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I just wish he'd smile a bit!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission