2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Has anyone had any good experience with different headphones? I was going to get a good pair of Sennheizer or Logitech UE and I was leaning towards noise canceling earbuds? Good or bad idea? I am getting an FP7 so Imagine I wont get very good quality out of a standard set of headphones or earbuds?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Brendan, if you search the digital forum archives for "headphones" (use the advanced search, and search for 'headphone' as the subject of the thread), you'll find literally dozens of threads with many passionately argued viewpoints.

I have Sennheiser 585s, and I find them very comfortable to wear and the quality is great. I use those for working with my Zoom and editing recordings in audacity. For listening to my iPod I have the Bose earbuds, great quality though I sacrifice some comfort for portability.

I'm going to put a pair of the Bose noise-canceling headphones on my birthday wish list. I like the kind that sit around your ear rather than right on the ear itself. I got to try a pair out at a specialty store and liked them a lot.

Another brand that gets a lot of rave reviews for combination of quality and price are the Grados SR60s. You might want to check them out.

H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Over the last 50 years (starting in 1959) I have been using headphones. I've had a variety of brands. Personally, I like the Sony line the best. Their inexpensive headphones are pretty good, and their expensive ones are great.

Recently, I purchased and use Sony MDR-7506 with my Roland FP-5. They work well, and don't cause as much fatigue as some smaller phones. They cost about $100. The ones I like the very best is a very inexpensive Sony MDR-S30 which I can't find anymore. They have a cloth-covered foam earpad which is wonderful to wear. The sound is perhaps 85% as good as the expensive ones, and I paid about $13 for them.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
A
A
I have just started asking the same questions about headphones. I also have a Roland, a DP990 so the sound should be similar.

I've started a thread over at head-fi, you may want to do some research over there but you may get pushed far above your budget, those folks really know headphones and like to suggest high end stuff.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/digital-piano-headphones-428391/

I started by asking about ATH AD700, Sennheiser 555 and Grado SR60 or SR60i. They said no way on the Grado that it wouldn't be great with piano. Most seem to suggest either high end Sennheisers, HD600 or HD650 (which are like $300+) or more people have suggested the AKG K501. It is discontinued so it's hard to find, they claim usually you can get a used one for $150 although I can't find any at the moment. I also tried a set of Beyerdynamic DT770-80Pros at a Guitar Center on an FP7 back to back with some AKG K240s. I really thought the Beyer 770s sounded better and fit over my ears better than the AKGs. They tell me that the AKG 501s have more ear space and that wouldn't be an issue. The AKG also apparently has a better soundstage and does really well with classical music and piano. I'm going to try to audition some AKG K701s today, with some sort of Roland as a source.

Roland DP-990, AKG K501
I use Seinheisser HD515's with my FP7. I'm perfectly happy with the sound quality and comfort. Alas they do not block out the sound of my son practising drums..........can't have everything.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I just recently got some Sennheiser PX100 headphones, about $50 so nothing fancy. But I am very pleased with them.

These are open headphones, as opposed to closed. My mother has very expensive.... I want to say they are Bose? noise-canceling closed headphones. I hated them! I felt like my head was in a vacuum. Some people swear by closed or noise-canceling, but not me. In addition to not liking the total absense of external sound, the headophones were so tight (an important thing if they are to keep out other noises) and heavy that I hated having them on for more than 15 minutes. They did sound great, but I hated them. Have I mentioned that I hated them?

These headphones, the PX100s, are great because they sound great and are incredibly lightweight, so I feel no discomfort even past 2 hours of playing. I can hear what's happening around me, which I prefer, and it doesn't feel like sticking my head in a vacuum. All in all, I was very happy with this purchase.

By the way, be sure to compare prices as Headroom (that's where I ordered from) www.headroom.com.

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 06/10/09 11:19 PM. Reason: because I can't type

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission