Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 19 of 100 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#991632 - 08/04/08 03:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
I remember Musetta's Waltz...I didn't like playing the piece for whatever reason. Yea, I know what you mean in the sense that the Alfred's takes a back seat. My teacher has me working through 3-4 additional books as well. The couple of months though we've been spending a lot of time in it and I'm knocking the pieces out fairly quickly.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#991633 - 08/04/08 04:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oxfords Gal:

I might talk her into just doing alfreds 3 pieces at once for a month so I can finish it and move on to book 3. [/b]
OG - 3 pieces at once (11 in a month) would be a rather formidable task - while it could be done, I'm not too sure how well you would be learning them - at one piece a week these same 11 pieces would take typically about 2 1/2 to 3 months - and some of the remaining pieces are somewhat demanding (for example "Ballin' The Jack" or "Danny Boy", which I'm into my 3rd week on and just starting to get a good handle on) - I would suggest that you take more time with them, and get your teacher to move them up in the priority list - but don't rush thru them just to finish the Book - Book 3 will wait (and you'll just have the same problem with Book 3 taking a back seat to your other methods, etc., unless you can get your teacher to give it top priority) - take your time & study each piece to the best of your ability - it will pay off in the long run \:\)

Regards, JF

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#991634 - 08/05/08 08:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Hi Jf,

I agree with what you're saying under normal circumstances but my circumstances haven't been normal since I started with my current teacher last August.

She teaches me out of Helen Curtis. It's an old method and it goes very fast and the pieces are originals, no arrangements.

So when I do get an Alfreds piece it's very simple for me compared to the stuff she gives me.

I'm not talented, or gifted or anything it's just that she gives me music that's really challenging so when I do go to an Alfred's it's really simple to me. Doing 3 Alfreds a week is nothing really.

Here's an example of one of the simpler pieces in book 2 of Helen Curtis. We work out of book 2 and book 3 in addition to other supplementary material she gives me from other composers.

All originals though. She's a stickler and hates arrangements so you can imagine how she feels about Alfreds. The only reason we're doing Alfred's is because I asked her to and she doesn't mind at all. I just want to finish what I started.

#991635 - 08/05/08 09:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

I'm not talented, or gifted or anything it's just that she gives me music that's really challenging so when I do go to an Alfred's it's really simple to me. Doing 3 Alfreds a week is nothing really.

[/b]
OG - well, why didn't you say so! That throws a whole new perspective on the situation. ;\)

I see clearly now that your situation is not normal. If you can easily handle 3 Alfred 2 pieces in a week then they certainly aren't too challenging for you (as they are for me and many others struggling thru them) and they're more or less "breathers" or "recreational pieces" for you, which you're optionally playing because you simply enjoy playing some of them, and not necessarily because they're improving your skills or technique much, at least not in comparison to the Helen Curtis pieces (the example of which does appear more demanding than anything in Alfred 2).

It would appear - in spite of your protests to the contrary - that you are in possession of a certain measurable level of talent and a definite "gift" for pianistic endevours and accomplishments.

Good luck in your studies, keep us updated on your progress - and, when shall we be hearing from you in a Recital or one of the monthly piano bars?

Regards, JF

#991636 - 08/05/08 11:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Jf,

I freeze under the red light but I promised Mark, I would talk with my teacher this week to see if she'll assign me a recital piece for the next round.

As to whether I can get past the red dot remains to be seen. Kind of funny, I'm comfortable playing in front of people but recording makes me so self concious and I become all thumby. \:D

#991637 - 08/05/08 11:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Hey Jf,

I freeze under the red light but I promised Mark, I would talk with my teacher this week to see if she'll assign me a recital piece for the next round.

As to whether I can get past the red dot remains to be seen. Kind of funny, I'm comfortable playing in front of people but recording makes me so self concious and I become all thumby. \:D [/b]
I have major red dot issues as well, but find recording all my practices seems to help...

#991638 - 08/07/08 09:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

I finished "Fascination" and on to "Deep River". I'm still working on my other two supplemental pieces. I've been working some on a recital piece.

Gees, I got less than a week to get it up to snuff!

#991639 - 08/08/08 05:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cyborg - glad to see your progression thru Book 2 continuing - good job!

I also have confidence that "snuff" will be gotten to by you, so to speak - looking forward to hearing your Recital piece - what is it going to be? I forget, have you decided? Can you reveal it?

Finishing up the next to last piece in 2 "Danny Boy" and started on the last piece "Canon in D", both excellent pieces - hoping to get a good recording of "Danny Boy" - really like this arrangement!

Regards, JF

#991640 - 08/08/08 11:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well I talked with my teacher yesterday concerning Alfreds. Looks like we're abandoning Alfreds after I finish a few pieces that I wanted to do. Danny boy, Loch Lomond and Canon in addition to 2 more I can't remember. They sounded nice while I was sight reading them so she said it was ok to do them if I wanted.

Alfreds 3 doesn't look any better. Chopins A Major prelude in the ambitious section was assigned to me by her from my Helen Curtis book 2 or 3 about 8 months ago and remains part of my repertoir.

So I'll be selecting a few pieces from there that I think I might like. I love the Irish music and folk songs. The rest she's going to give me the original pieces if I favor one or the other.

We're just going to stick with the Helen Curtis and all the other supplemental stuff she gives me.

I have mixed feelings, I wanted to finish what I started but truly it's a waste of time for me. I best use that time to progress.

I'd like to make a note. I am really not talented or a virtuoso but it's true what some people say. If you work at pieces above your level you tend to progress a bit faster.

#991641 - 08/08/08 03:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OG - other Alfred 2 pieces of possible interest to you might be "Musetta's Waltz", "Ballin' the Jack" and "La Donna E Mobile" - musically entertaining and somewhat of a challenge (for me, anyway)- not much else other than the ones you mentioned.

In a certain way to a certain extent just about every new piece I encounter now is at least slightly "above my level", which as you say, is a good thing - pushing the envelope, so to speak - I like it that way very much, just as you seem to.

You might want to take a hint from Mark and record some or all of your practice sessions - you might just get used to the red dot and get over the worry or fear.

Regards, JF

#991642 - 08/09/08 08:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hey JF,

I finished Musetta's waltz and loved it. It's really easy to memorize as well.

As a matter of fact "La Donna E Mobile" was one of the ones I had picked. We passed Balling THe Jack over. tee heee I might do it on my own if I have time. It sounds naughty to me ha ha

#991643 - 08/09/08 05:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OG - yes, you certainly can have alot of fun with "Ballin'", so to speak ;\)

And if you loved "Musetta" you'll probably like this pop hit for Della Reese from way back, which was based on that operatic aria:

Don\'t You Know

Regards, JF

#991644 - 08/12/08 07:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

HI gang - Just finished "Danny Boy" - got several half-decent recordings, but not really satisfied with them yet - will keep recording until I'm completely happy - you may hear it in a future recital or piano bar - really bearing down on the "Canon in D Theme Variations" - nice ending piece for Book 2 - because of sheer length this one could take a little while to memorize (as I do all the pieces) - still reviewing & currently working on "Arkansas Travelor" (an old Bluegrass standard meant to be played really fast) - Nov. 15th will be my 3 year anniversary studying the piano, which will be here in a little over 3 months! It's gone so fast, and I think that is because it's been so much Fun! \:\)

Regards, JF

#991645 - 08/13/08 02:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

JF,

I'm happy to hear of your progress. Tempus fugit, eh?

I'm eager to hear your recital piece. ABF recital time is always exciting for me...reclusive player that I am. I hope it gives you the same rush of excitement.

BTW, I don't know which, if either, avatar closely resembles/(d) your facial features or demeanor, but I much prefer the current over the past one.

Keep moving forward at a rewarding speed.

Regards,

Lisztener

#991646 - 08/13/08 03:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Lisztener - thanks. Tempus fugit? Heard that somewhere way back but my Latin is just a little stale from long underuse - remind me.

Eager to hear your recital piece also - these events are always exciting - often especially the comments afterwards as well as the pieces.

My old Avatar looked more like me generally, although this one reflects my demeanor better - dark, mysterious and potentially threatening! \:D I like it better too - is it someone famous (or infamous)? Maybe I shouldn't ask ;\)

Regards, JF

#991647 - 08/13/08 07:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

JF

I wasn't trying to sound elitist when using the Latin phrase, "tempus fugit". I was only agreeing with you that "time flies", the Latin equivalent and only Latin phrase that comes to mind that I've remembered. \:o

Yes, you are correct, you shouldn't have asked since you know which one I'll choose. :p

Have a good evening, \:\)

Lisztener

#991648 - 08/20/08 07:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My avatar - is it John Wilkes Booth or Jessie James or some other nefarious and unsavory desperado?

With crime-infested Regards, JF

#991649 - 08/21/08 08:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Hi folks,

I'm back to posting on the forums. It's been a hectic 2-3 weeks and things are winding down. I had family visits, home projects, etc. I've been practicing but it's been fairly unproductive and I didn't get anything recorded for the recital. \:\(

I finished "Deep River" this week along with "Cruella de Vil". It's on to "Loch Lomond". I think I'm going to like this piece. \:\)

#991650 - 08/21/08 08:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cyborg - glad to see you're back - yes, you should like "Loch Lomond' - it's a real good arrangement of a classic old Scottish folk song - I have a recording of it that I posted in the Opening Post of the August Piano Bar - I just got a fairly good recording of "Danny Boy" (the next to last piece in Book 2) and might post that soon - right now I'm about half way thru the Canon in D piece (last in Book 2) - a little long and a little challenging, but doable - what's "Cruella" from?

Regards, JF

#991651 - 08/21/08 08:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Hi JF,

It's good to be back on the boards. Yes, the "Loch Lomond" arragement seems really nice to me. I love "Danny Boy", so I'll go check out your recording. Plus, I can't wait to get to it myself. I know "Canon" is going to take a little time due to it's length but I can't wait for it either.

"Cruella de vil" (sp?) is the last piece in the Alfred's Top Hits Solo 3 book. So I'm finishing up the book just in time. I also have an arrangement of "The Star Spangled Banner" that is way above my level. I've been working on it for a month and a half but my teacher likes to keep me challenged.

#991652 - 08/22/08 05:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

CYborg - if I remember correctly there's a version of "The Star Spangled Banner" in Book 3 -eventually you'll be able to play both back-to-back just for the sake of variation. Could be interesting.

Regards, JF

#991653 - 08/26/08 01:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
bperry Offline

I haven't been here in a while, because I found I was killing more time in Pianoworld than I was practicing.

I'm working on Those were the days and I thought I would see if JF had a recording here. I do remember a version on my older sister's album that I was sure was done by Melanie. I just searched and see that it was actually by Mary Hopkins. I suppose I should be happy I remember it at all.

Anyways, I got on here and sure enough I've killed an hour.

JF, I heard your Chopin in the recital and your Loch Lomond somewhere else here. Great job on both. The Loch was really pretty.

I'm going to practice now.

#991654 - 08/26/08 10:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

bperry - I have a recording of "Those were the Days" uploaded several places here in the Forums, most recently in a new topic I started, which you'll find

here

Please note however that this version is slightly modified from the "book version" (I added some short runs in the beginning & middle and a 2nd full chord at the end not shown in the sheet music).

Also - thanks for the kind words on "Loch Lamond" - it's a good arrangement and a fun piece to play.

Regards, JF

P.S. in case you're interested I recorded a number of the Book 2 pieces which you can find back on page 1 of this thread in the Opening Post (thanks kindly to Mark).

#991655 - 08/30/08 01:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi gang - with the "Canon in D" piece under control I just finished my study of new pieces in Book 2 - will be moving on to Book 3 sometime in the fairly near future, but will still visit the 2 thread often - for more about all this see this thread

JF\'s Annoucement

Regards and have fun in your studies, JF

#991656 - 08/31/08 03:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
Congratulations JF, I envy your dedication and progress, I'm still struggling at the early part of Book 2, but I fear my time at a piano is going to be greatly curtailed, next week we leave to visit mainland Europe, back here by Christmas, but Mrs Crusader wants to spend Christmas in India!!, February off to the USA again for two months, but I will take some music to the Guitar Center or Sam Ash and practice, until they throw me out. \:D

#991657 - 08/31/08 05:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crusader:
Congratulations JF, I envy your dedication and progress

but I will take some music to the Guitar Center or Sam Ash and practice, until they throw me out. \:D [/b]
:D Thanks crusader - for the congratulations and the laugh!

Best Regards (for safe, enjoyable travel and continued piano studies), JF

#991658 - 09/02/08 09:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Congratulations to John Frank for moving on to Book 3!!! You were dead on with your Labor Day prediction.

I was going to say this thread is MINE[/b] now...but I'll be done with Book 2 myself in a couple of weeks and on to Book 3. Unless "Hanna" decides to make my life a mess for awhile.

#991659 - 09/07/08 05:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well we ditched Alfred's this past week. I saw no point in doing it anymore and I felt good about ditching it as opposed to 2 months ago not wanting to let go.

Onward we go!!!!! \:D

#991660 - 09/07/08 05:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Well we ditched Alfred's this past week. I saw no point in doing it anymore and I felt good about ditching it as opposed to 2 months ago not wanting to let go.

Onward we go!!!!! \:D [/b]
Did you get to look at any of the book 3 pieces? Some are very good.

#991661 - 09/07/08 05:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes we did Mark, although they're nice they weren't challenging me enough (not to sound pretentious or anything) so we decided to just continue with original pieces.

Page 19 of 100 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
174 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, 51 invisible), 1771 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250420 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission