2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Andreas,

Nice description of the Steingraeber 170; an extremely nice instrument indeed.

Where you say "you really have to wotk hard on youy play and dynanics is where is found the Bösendorfer CS 200 easier to controll [the dynamics].

This is why I would hesitate putting the Steingraeber in my living room; too powerfull and somewhat more difficult to controll in the ppp playing; but that is just a metter of taste.

Anyhow I can just dream of an instrument like these.

BTW, where are you located? Austria?

schwammerl.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Actually, the Steingraebers I've played are very easy to control at low volume - better than nearly any other piano. That is one of their strengths - a very broad dynamic range - very musical piano.

P
P
Anyone know where I might be able to try a Steingraeber in NY City? I would love to try one, especially a 7 or 9 foot one. I'd like to compare the sound to my Steinway D.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by plumpfingers
Anyone know where I might be able to try a Steingraeber in NY City? I would love to try one, especially a 7 or 9 foot one. I'd like to compare the sound to my Steinway D.

I believe Faust Harrison carries them. I would call ahead to make sure.

Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Posted by plumfingers:

plumfingers,

Here at Allegro Pianos, we are the exclusive authorized dealer for Steingraeber Pianos in NYC, New York state and New England.

You are most welcome to try these at our Stamford,CT showroom, about 45 minutes by either car or train from midtown Manhattan.
We currently have the grand pianos models 168, 170, 205 (6'9), 212 (7'), and 232 (7'7), and the upright models 130 and 138...but please call ahead and let me know if you decide to visit.

We usually carry also the model 272 concert grand, but one had been sold recently, and its replacement has yet to arrive.
The recent vintage Steinway D that we got as a trade towards this Steingraeber is now taking the very same spot reserved for the 272 in our recital space (until the new 272's arrival)...alongside a Bosendorfer Imperial and a Bluthner concert grand.
Thanks,

Ori

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
Ori #1217908 06/16/09 03:24 AM
mjs Offline
@schwammerl: I think the volume produced by the Steingraeber instruments (although potentially phenomenal) is not really a problem, even in a smallish room. Our D-232 is in a room of something like 25 sqm, 2.5m high ceilings, and is just marvellous. Yes, playing it is a bit like listening to music vie headphones, it is very direct, but that isn't a problem. I do have to say, though, that one reason of choosing the D-232 over the 205 (the C-212 wasn't out then) was a somewhat more intimate sound. Playing piano and pianissimo and even softer is definitely possible (as is making the house shake), so it really depends on the player. One thing I have noticed is that in the past 9 months the instrument has improved considerably in the evenness of the action with parts settling, felts compressing, etc., making ppp-playing even easier.

If you have a chance to be in Munich then, you can hear it in a recital on the 18th of July ...

Markus

Steingraeber D-232 # 45 777
Neupert Telemann harpsichord
Ori #1218211 06/16/09 04:54 PM
P
P
Thanks Ori. I will call ahead when I can get out to Stamford to try the Steingraeber--possibly in the next week.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Steingraebers are very well mannered instruments... very easy to control. If anything, the Phoenix version, with its half-blow pedal, is one of the easiest pianos to play ppp. The only other pianos that have this (that I know of) are Stuart & Sons and Fazioli (fourth pedal not standard).

C
CJM Offline
C
Originally Posted by beethoven986
Steingraebers are very well mannered instruments... very easy to control. If anything, the Phoenix version, with its half-blow pedal, is one of the easiest pianos to play ppp. The only other pianos that have this (that I know of) are Stuart & Sons and Fazioli (fourth pedal not standard).

The Stuart does not have a half-blow pedal, but has two separate soft pedals (dolce and una corda) each of which have separate and distinct tonal and volume characteristics, but most importantly and quite uniquely may be used separately or in tandem. The Steingraeber half-blow pedal is nowhere near as flexible nor as effective in practice as the Stuart arrangement. The Fazioli fourth pedal (when installed and only on their 3.1m piano as I understand it) is placed in such a position that the una corda pedal cannot be used at the same time - it's either one or the other.

Regards
Chris

Last edited by CJM; 07/05/09 05:23 AM.

Stuart & Sons 2.2 metre #25
CJM #1227255 07/05/09 06:51 AM
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
The Stuart's fourth pedal brings the hammers closer to the strings... it is a half-blow pedal (or dolce pedal). And then, of course, the una corda pedal is the third pedal.

The Steingraeber-Phoenix does combine the two pedals in one via an ingenious adaptation of a bicycle hydraulic thing. The reason for this is to keep the pedal number at three (apparently, four pedals is disorienting to some people). It may not be as flexible, in that one can't use both soft pedals at the same time, but 99% of people probably wouldn't miss that... I didn't take advantage of that when I played the Stuart, and didn't mind the setup on the Steingraeber-Phoenix.

Fazioli's fourth pedal is offset to the left... there's a picture of it on the company's website. I imagine that it would be rather cumbersome to use both soft pedals with this arrangement, as you said, but again I don't think most people would care to use them simultaneously.

And as it turns out, the fourth pedal is standard of the 308, but can be added to all other models for an extra 10,400 dollars (according to Larry Fine).

Bed time smile

C
CJM Offline
C
The Stuart's fourth pedal brings the hammers closer to the strings... it is a half-blow pedal (or dolce pedal). And then, of course, the una corda pedal is the third pedal.

Sorry, I've never called the dolce pedal that. I assumed you were talking about the Steingraeber pedal.

The Steingraeber-Phoenix does combine the two pedals in one via an ingenious adaptation of a bicycle hydraulic thing. The reason for this is to keep the pedal number at three (apparently, four pedals is disorienting to some people).

I find it disconcerting that some pianists are so mechanically conditioned that they can't count past three. One wonders how pianists managed to adjust from 85 notes to 88. My students have no problems with either the pedals or the extra notes on the Stuart.

It may not be as flexible, in that one can't use both soft pedals at the same time, but 99% of people probably wouldn't miss that... I didn't take advantage of that when I played the Stuart, and didn't mind the setup on the Steingraeber-Phoenix.

...and as a result you missed out on one of the great things about the Stuart. I use both all the time, and I can get effects and feel that are impossible to get on any other piano I've tried, and I've tried many over the years.

Fazioli's fourth pedal is offset to the left... there's a picture of it on the company's website. I imagine that it would be rather cumbersome to use both soft pedals with this arrangement, as you said, but again I don't think most people would care to use them simultaneously.

Which once again is unfortunate because as I said above you really have to experience the two pedals to understand what all the fuss is about with this piano. Once you're used to it, going back to three pedals is almost like reverting to the age of the dinosaurs :-)

And as it turns out, the fourth pedal is standard of the 308, but can be added to all other models for an extra 10,400 dollars (according to Larry Fine).

I sit corrected.

Bed time smile

Likewise :-)

Regards
Chris

Stuart & Sons 2.2 metre #25
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission