Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1217116 - 06/14/09 05:04 AM Help trying to finish up writing a tune
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I always end up writing myself into a corner..I get good ideas, but I just can't figure out the rest of the tune. When I try to write the rest, it usually just doesn't fit with the rest.

What do you guys do when you guys are stuck, any suggestions?

http://rapidshare.com/files/244363527/Idea1.mid
http://rapidshare.com/files/244363588/Idea_2.mid

Piano & Music Accessories
#1217496 - 06/15/09 08:48 AM Re: Help trying to finish up writing a tune [Re: etcetra]
majones Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas Piney Woods
Not able to activate your sound file. My lack of knowledge, I'm sure.....

I'm a structured kind of a guy -- here is my standard approach:
I start with the story so lyrics drive everything.

Then the chord progression for the rest to tension to climax to resolution journey that is necessary.

Fit the lyrics into the progression flow. Four line, five line verse, rhyme or not, etc. By the time I have the lyrics and the chords flowing a tune is begining to take shape.

Melody notes come from my chord tones, or the chord's pentatonic scale. One note per lyric word, shooting for one chord per measure. First draft; Sing / recite the lyrics and hunt for the next tone. Some quidelines; 1-3-5 can go up or down scale as I see fit. 7th go up scale, 6 and 4 go down scale and the 2 does what I want. Skips of a 3rd or more help move it along. That is a start. I want to see a wave action on paper. Then the fleshing out comes into the picture.

Flesh out with chord voicing - maj7, 6th, sus2, sus4 for help with harmonization and those extra notes add to the melody line. Once I get a verse I'll use that same melody for all verses. My chorus may or may not change all that much, I know - structured kind of a guy...

Beyond that --- it's art -- sometime it works and some time it does not. Hope you can find something in this that will help.

Edited by majones (06/15/09 11:16 AM)

#1217571 - 06/15/09 11:24 AM Re: Help trying to finish up writing a tune [Re: majones]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hmm.. that is strange.. they are midi files so they should play no problem..are you not able to play them at all or are you not hearing any sound?

oh btw I didn't mention that it's a instrumental jazz piece. I guess the problem is that I tend to write a lot of non functional harmony and sometimes I just don't know where to go next once i finish writings parts of a song.

#1217575 - 06/15/09 11:27 AM Re: Help trying to finish up writing a tune [Re: etcetra]
majones Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas Piney Woods
Once I get to the host site I can not find how to activate the song.

Finally figured it out. As I mentioned I'm a structured person and rely upon the lyrics to guide me. I start a story discuss it awhile and then finish the story.
Quote:
When I try to write the rest, it usually just doesn't fit with the rest.

I understand you do not have lyrics, what is the reason for the instrumental? Why are you playing this? What's it called? Are you describing something. I think a reason will give you a path to go down, i.e. a start, middle and ending .....

Great talent, no question about that - just looking for a way to express your feelings so that we understand what you are saying. When you sat down to play this did you have something in mind that you wanted to tell us? Or were you just noodling?

When we play other people's music they have already done this for us. When we play our music we have to accomplish that.

Edited by majones (06/15/09 12:13 PM)

#1217599 - 06/15/09 12:34 PM Re: Help trying to finish up writing a tune [Re: majones]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Are the two ideas supposed to be used in the same tune? I think the first 12 seconds or so of the idea 1 is really good. You should repeat those and build something from there. An answering phrase at a different pitch or varied is what I expect after the first statement to make it more coherent. I get the feeling the music is moving away to other somewhat remote ideas too quickly.

Edited by KlinkKlonk (06/15/09 02:14 PM)

#1217602 - 06/15/09 12:35 PM Re: Help trying to finish up writing a tune [Re: KlinkKlonk]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Oh and the 2nd idea if it's going to be used together with the 1st it would work well as a intro/ outro or solo vamp. And you should skip the Giant Steps progression I think or disguise it more.

Edited by KlinkKlonk (06/15/09 02:16 PM)

#1217842 - 06/15/09 11:43 PM Re: Help trying to finish up writing a tune [Re: KlinkKlonk]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks so much for the advice, the two ideas are sketches for two different pieces

Majones

that's an excellent point, I guess I didn't really think of any 'purpose' to the song yet..it just came out. what usually I do dedicate the piece to someone, that way I have a reason to actually finish writing them. the 1st idea is meant for a new friend i met recently, and the 2nd idea is inspired by a friend of mine who is a excellent piano player and composer.

I guess the two pieces are still trying to find their meaning, what they are in that respect. I feel like the key to the 1st song is on the rapid modulation on 28seconds..I get a very strong feeling there, just not sure how to describe it.

Klinkklonk,

"I get the feeling the music is moving away to other somewhat remote ideas too quickly."

yea I think you hit a great point here. I write very non-functional harmony and they are usually great for short pieces, but it's hard to expand on them. It's too "through-composed" so to speak. but at the same time, I don't like anything too predictable.. the first 10 seconds of the idea 2 is borderline cliche for me.

I guess I can develop the ideas via modulation, I am not very adept at developing themes/ideas in non-functional context, I don't know how people like Taylor Eigsti or Aaron Parks can write pretty extensive piece that way and still be coherent.

#1217985 - 06/16/09 08:54 AM Re: Help trying to finish up writing a tune [Re: etcetra]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Maybe try to fit in within a simple 32 bars AABA form like "Well you needn't" or AAB "Passion Dance" for starters even if it seems predictable. Once you're able to do that you can expand your ideas and add some quirks. Do you mean that the harmony is none functional for solos? Then a solo vamp would solve it. Do you plan on playing the piece in a trio setting or with horns added and so on? Even if you don't have anyone to play with it at the moment it could be a good idea to think through what kind of setting you have in mind. Between solos you could have the theme to come back, or have the underlying rhythm for the first motif as a foundation for solos etc.
I really think you could make a good tune just by expanding that first motif and maybe another idea in a B section.

Edited by KlinkKlonk (06/16/09 10:16 AM)

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (AndrewJCW, Alex1, accordeur, 36251, 41 invisible), 1706 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156232 Topics
2294521 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
1 minute 15 seconds ago
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
14 minutes 19 seconds ago
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
39 minutes 11 seconds ago
Intro to Elton John's 'Nikita'
by Visalia
57 minutes 42 seconds ago
Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 03:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission