Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1218658 - 06/17/09 01:06 PM Re: End piano lessons! [Re: keyboardklutz]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Originally Posted By: TimR

Case 1, no teacher, most learn bad technique.
Case 2, bad teacher, most learn bad technique.
Case 3, rare good teacher, x percentage learn good technique. X is somewhere between 0 and 100.
The idea is to keep looking. You know when you've found a good'n - you'll never want to leave.

Unfortunately, the problem is that you won't know when you've got a bad'un.

Is "never want[ing] to leave" a good thing for the student? So far in this thread, only Ed Weiss has challenged that idea (though the benefit of changing teachers has been mentioned); coincidentally, in an unrelated discussion in the Pianist Corner another member said:

Originally Posted By: Palindrome
Your goal as a student is to acquire, eventually, the ability to work up a performance from the score on your own.

I'm very interested in knowing how much support there is for the view that the purpose of instruction should be ultimately to advance on one's own.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1218665 - 06/17/09 01:31 PM Re: End piano lessons! [Re: sotto voce]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
No man is an island.

#1218672 - 06/17/09 01:38 PM Re: End piano lessons! [Re: sotto voce]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sotto Voce:

Quote:
I'm very interested in knowing how much support there is for the view that the purpose of instruction should be ultimately to advance on one's own.

Steven, I completely support the view that the purpose of instruction is ultimately to advance on one's own.

I constantly tell my students that they should think like they are the teacher, and from that perspective observe how they play, notice what needs improvement, and think about how to fix it, using their previous lessons as an example.

I tell them that I am with them for a few minutes a week, and at some point will leave their lives permanently, so they should learn to do what I do when teaching them, i.e. notice tension, mistakes, phrasing, etc, and fix them. For theory, they can always increase their learning from books, classes, etc.

If they have that approach to their practicing, they can perhaps advance to the place where they can learn on their own.

There are at least 2 caveats to that:

First, I have had some students who appear rather clueless regarding music, and thus have never, to my knowledge, exhibited the ability to lead themselves anywhere musically. They simply do not know where to go or how to get there. It is all so foreign and new to them.

(I am the same way with math...I could never advance with math to the point where I could explore greater and greater mathematical concepts on my own.)

Second, The student should have a solid foundation to begin with of (gasp!) technique, reading, ear training, etc. How can they build a good structure upon a poor foundation?

So yes, that is the point...to teach them how to play the piano, with enough knowledge and experience so that at some point they are able to continue to grow on their own, or at least not fall backwards in their playing.

Having said that, there should always be room in one's thinking for input from other, more wiser and more experienced people, be they "teachers" or not. Is that not why very accomplished pianists pay big $$$ to attend master classes?

ps... the reason for not wanting a teacher should never be a bad experience with a teacher, or reading about someone else's bad experience, etc. Not wanting a teacher should mean you no longer need one on a steady basis because you now can actually play the piano!

Edited by rocket88 (06/17/09 01:53 PM)

#1218687 - 06/17/09 02:00 PM Re: End piano lessons! [Re: sotto voce]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: sotto voce

Steven--

That's the view of public education in general. You wouldn't want people to go to school for the rest of their lives after the age of 18. The goal of education is to make each individual student proficient enough in many skills to survive in the real world.

But I think piano is different. Even though I am teaching piano now, I know there are limits to my teaching abilities. In the most ideal world, I would continue to take piano lessons and keep expanding my piano skills. I don't think there can be an end to piano learning.

#1218710 - 06/17/09 02:37 PM Re: End piano lessons! [Re: AZNpiano]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
In the most ideal world, I would continue to take piano lessons and keep expanding my piano skills. I don't think there can be an end to piano learning.

Exactly... I too would love to keep on studying with a teacher(s).

However, I think the intent of Sotto Voce's post was that people could progress in a good way alone after a solid foundation was laid by a competent teacher.

#1218711 - 06/17/09 02:38 PM Re: End piano lessons! [Re: sotto voce]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Originally Posted By: TimR

Case 1, no teacher, most learn bad technique.
Case 2, bad teacher, most learn bad technique.
Case 3, rare good teacher, x percentage learn good technique. X is somewhere between 0 and 100.
The idea is to keep looking. You know when you've found a good'n - you'll never want to leave.

Unfortunately, the problem is that you won't know when you've got a bad'un.

Is "never want[ing] to leave" a good thing for the student? So far in this thread, only Ed Weiss has challenged that idea (though the benefit of changing teachers has been mentioned); coincidentally, in an unrelated discussion in the Pianist Corner another member said:

Originally Posted By: Palindrome
Your goal as a student is to acquire, eventually, the ability to work up a performance from the score on your own.

Steven

I tell my students "you will always be your own best teacher". This remark always gets my students' eyebrows to raise. I tell them I am here to guide them and be their coach; to explain and demonstrate technique and introduce them to the world of piano music. Ultimately, they must be accountable for their progress.

#1218764 - 06/17/09 04:11 PM Re: End piano lessons! [Re: Barb860]
ClassicalMan Offline

Loc: USA
Now we're exiting the never-ending circle:)

Vast untapped resources lie within.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (36251, accordeur, AmateurBob, 46 invisible), 1549 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249547 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
04/16/14 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
04/16/14 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
04/16/14 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
04/16/14 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
04/16/14 05:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission