Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1214805 - 06/09/09 04:58 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: pianovirus]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Depending on where you live in the world, we can certainly do a 9am (New York time zone) master class. This would probably help those in Asia, which is usually 12 hours later, and Europe, which can be 5-8 hours later. Problem, then, would be earlier time zones. I would have to have separate master classes for time zones that are earlier than New York.

My PayPal account is set up for individual lessons for one hour, two hours and even three hours. You would be surprised how many pianists want three hour lessons when they are preparing big recitals, auditions or concerto appearances. For a master class, however, I might need to figure out a way to have the students who are performing pay one fee, and 'auditors' visiting to just watch and listen pay a normal auditor fee. If there is enough interest, I can explore that.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1214809 - 06/09/09 05:05 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: JBiegel]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
I see - you mean a real online analogy to master classes (I just used the term without thinking... still thought of 1:1 sessions). Regarding more than 1:1, I think it shouldn't be a problem to have many audio participants in a Skype session -- I'm not sure about video though?

#1214817 - 06/09/09 05:21 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: pianovirus]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I keep the laptop web cam facing the piano--works well in private lessons too. I think one can invite friends on Skype--not sure if there is a limit. I would have to find that out and then keep an updated count on a forum post so when the limit is reached for maximum numbers of people allowed in one Skype session, people won't go to PayPal and purchase an auditor ticket. For now, the 1:1 is probably best way to teach this way. But I am open to the master class idea. My goal is to establish a fine online studio of private pupils. My testimonial will explain it all once it is finalized and uploaded here.

#1215138 - 06/10/09 09:16 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: JBiegel]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
What's the market for this? If I was headed for Carnage Hall and needed prepping, I sure wouldn't do it this way...

#1215380 - 06/10/09 04:37 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Auntie Lynn]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Believe it or not, it works extremely well.

#1216716 - 06/13/09 08:05 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: JBiegel]
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
While the viewing of the hands/movements/fingering, etc., can be observed and interchange of ideas and suggestions made, I can't see that the tonal quality would be the same as in person lessons. That a good teacher like Jeffrey could help a student improve, I wonder how going to specific places in the music and notating could be done. There seems to be some logistic problems that a person to person lesson, i.e., both in the same studio could solve or be approached, that the Skype video would not be as able to do.

I do feel that much could be gained by it--the video lesson--tho and a lesson with a performing artist be of great benefit and, as pointed out in a previous post, save flight money. The opportunity for someone in a remote location to have that ability is wonderful. I'm like Auntie Lynn in another respect that coaching for a recital or orchestra engagement might be better in person.

#1216734 - 06/13/09 09:43 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Varcon]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Again, having done this on several occasions, I have found nothing to be lost. I can tell in two measures over Skype what needs to be fixed--even tonally--just from watching and listening. This might not work for many teachers, but I was fortunate to have studied with Adele Marcus who helped me immensely to teach in all situations and manner of technology.

Edited by JBiegel (06/13/09 09:44 AM)

#1217840 - 06/15/09 11:33 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: JBiegel]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

AVI files and DVD sent to Frank! Lessons with Jeff are worth it. He's got so much info on the pieces I'm playing, and such a down to Earth approach.

Matt

#1218382 - 06/16/09 09:42 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Varcon and Auntie Lynn may have valid points, but I can tell from watching if the fingering doesn't work--also by the sound--I was able to help Matt on the fingering of intricate thirds in the LH of Beethoven Opus 10 #3--he nailed it after a few tries. We isolated upper and lower notes of the thirds, upper note legato, lower note staccato and vice versa, did them in groups, patterns etc--Skype or in my studio, it worked just as well. I can also show by use of the arms and wrists how to get a beautiful sound--again, on Skype or in the studio. The physical means will remain the same, and I can tell if it is a singing sound or not. It is great fun!

#1219444 - 06/19/09 01:49 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Less [Re: JBiegel]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...

I just wish he'd smile a bit!

#1221648 - 06/23/09 03:13 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Our thanks to Matt and his teacher for participating in an interactive online piano lesson with Jeffrey Biegel.

I'm glad it was Matt and not me, at least he can keep up :-)
Nice job Matt.

Although the audio makes it seem as if you can't hear Jeffrey, I think Matt will attest it is from the way the recording was done (the mic on the video was far away from the speaker on the computer, and had to be turned down to accommodate the volume of the piano).

I've clipped out a couple of short examples here (also posted on YouTube). May try to get some others out later.

For more about Jeffrey Biegel, concert pianist, see his BIO post on Piano World
Jeffrey Biegel - Concert Pianist

Or his page about teaching piano lessons online interactively using Skype
http://www.pianoworld.com/Piano_Lessons_Online.html
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1222095 - 06/24/09 11:18 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Interesting. You did great Matt!

However, it was near impossible to hear anything that Jeffrey was saying so not sure how it would work out for master classes unless he had a separate mic.

What equipment were you using Matt? Size of the screen? Laptop?

I can see that one would need to shut off their screensaver!

I would still be interested in giving it a try. Maybe next winter. ;-)

#1222100 - 06/24/09 11:25 AM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: lilylady]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
The problem hearing Jeffrey was in the recording.

The mic was where the camera was, and turned down so the piano wouldn't overpower it.

If you were there live, you'd be able to hear Jeffrey just fine. I would however suggest headphones and/or external speakers.

When I tried this with our member in Australia we had no trouble hearing each other.

And when I tried it with Jeffrey we found it worked much better if you had headphones on.

Yes, Matt did do great, you should hear the rest of the lesson.
Somehow I don't think Jeffrey was quite as impressed with my version of Moon Dance :-)

www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1222218 - 06/24/09 03:23 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: lilylady]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lilylady
Interesting. You did great Matt!

However, it was near impossible to hear anything that Jeffrey was saying so not sure how it would work out for master classes unless he had a separate mic.

What equipment were you using Matt? Size of the screen? Laptop?

I can see that one would need to shut off their screensaver!

I would still be interested in giving it a try. Maybe next winter. ;-)

I could hear Jeffrey clearly pretty much all the time. The video chat froze once when we first started it, but other than that, the sound, video, and general connection worked excellent. It's hard to hear Jeffrey in those videos because I put the camera so far away from the computer. I should have put it closer... I just wanted to get both grands in the picture as my teacher and jam away.

We're using my teachers GIANT Mac desktop. I have no idea about what model. I'm not a Mac person laugh

And next time, I will definitely turn the screen saver off smile

Matt

#1222226 - 06/24/09 03:37 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: R0B]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would definitely have an externa; mic-especially for master classes. But with headphones, all members would hear quite well. This is definitely going to gain speed over the next few years--all concert artists and teachers will most probably do more of this kind of teaching for those who would like to study with them and cannot travel to their studio.

#1222346 - 06/24/09 08:42 PM Re: Volunteer Needed for Video Taped Advanced Lesson [Re: LiszThalberg]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

iMac. wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alex1, Al LaPorte, 44 invisible), 1861 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294440 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission