Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 32 of 32 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32
Topic Options
#1219850 - 06/19/09 10:00 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianozuki]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: pianozuki

BTW I can highly recommend the NML. I paid 225 USD for one year. I couldn't be more pleased.
http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com

Just want to put in an additional thumbs up for the Naxos Music Library. There's an amazing number of great recordings of basically every piece you can think of, from Baroque to 21st century. It's actually revolutionized the way I listen to music, and has opened my eyes to dozens of new composers and pieces I never would have listened to without it!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1220901 - 06/22/09 08:59 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: beet31425]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Vacatello playing an encore(not at the Cliburn)

Gershwin(arranged by Gershwin): The Man I Love

For those of you familiar with the score, notice how she plays the dotted the dotted 8ts as basically straight 8ths. I actually like it much better this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjEiZqs6p4&feature=related

Edited by pianoloverus (06/22/09 10:13 AM)

#1220912 - 06/22/09 09:47 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: pianoloverus]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Vacatello playing an encore(not at the Cliburn)

Gershwin(arranged by Gershwin): The Man I Love

For those of you familiar with the score, notice how she plays the dotted 16ths as basically straight 8ths. I actually like it much better this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjEiZqs6p4&feature=related

Fantastic pianist... I'm still bitter!

#1221517 - 06/23/09 11:46 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Ridicolosamente]
Philip Lu Offline

Loc: Hacienda Heights, CA
When I voted, I saw that Vacatello was the most popular with the blind pianist lagging behind by less than a tenth of a percent... I guess she was more popular with the audience than with the judges.

#1246646 - 08/10/09 10:37 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Drunk3nFist]
710md68 Offline

Loc: Italy - Rome
Hi, I am brand new to this forum.

I have read carefully your posts about the Van Cliburn 2009 and in particular about Nobu Tsujii.

I have read so many things, most of them absolutly amazing but a lot of them incredibly wrong.

1 - I would like to start with the suspect that Nobu could be "autistic". Well, since I am a doctor and a amateur pianist, I find this hypothesis incredibly wrong. I even read the critics in which there is the so sure approach to the handicapped pianist ! Well, an autistic is amimic, unable to feel emotions and above all to joke ! So enjoy the video in here (2008) so you could understand how far is the truth about Nobu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEE50V8O9DQ&feature=player_profilepage

2 - About the technique and the way he learndt to play piano. Who said he plays by ear ? This is a incredible lie ! He learndt to play piano according with the Brail method. So another big lie.

3 - I read about his problems to the incipit of a piano concerto or something like this in ensamble. Well, listening to how he playes in quintet at van Cliburn the Schumann E-flat Major Op 44 I could say exaclty the opposite !!!

Conclusion

When I listen to him for the very first time I didnt know he was blind and I said: "GOSH !!!! HE IS SUPERB ! Who is ?"

He is a 20 yold guy that got already the tech skill and interpretation more than older competitors attendin the Cliburn.

So put apart the enviness because he stay there not because is blind !!!

A last thing: I never listen a "Campanella" played as Nobu did !!!!! Just listen over and over to that interpretation !!! Over and over.

Thanks so much for reading me.

Luke

#1382473 - 02/25/10 06:01 AM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: Drunk3nFist]
jefierii12 Offline

I had my tickets for the competition from TicketFront.com . They were quite inexpensive . I really enjoyed it a lot with my friends

#1514040 - 09/12/10 10:39 PM Re: 2009 Van Cliburn Competition Megathread [Re: 710md68]
Ubon2009 Offline

Loc: California, U.S.
I know it's been a while since the Cliburn Competition, which I didn't follow due to other commitments. But the documentary "A Surprise in Texas" was shown earlier this month and I was captivated by it, especially the portrayal of Nobuyuki Tsujii. I am not as learned as some who posted on this thread apparent are, but I know good music when I hear it, and it takes a stout heart not to be moved by Tsujii's accomplishment.
If you admire Nobuyuki Tsujii, please allow me to invite you to visit this site that I put together as a repository of information on him and on his work: https://sites.google.com/site/nobufans/
You might just find a comment that you posted to this thread included (anonymously) in the "quotes" section on that site.

Page 32 of 32 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (accordeur, ando, Atrys, antony, Akshay, 47 invisible), 1626 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153529 Topics
2249947 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
1 minute 20 seconds ago
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission