2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1217296 06/14/09 06:28 PM
agent3x Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not a teacher, so sorry if this is in the wrong place! I thought I could get some good insight from teachers here, though.

I've been playing for a few years already, focusing mostly on theory because I can teach that to myself, but I'd like to learn more about the technical aspects of playing and also work on ear-training.

I just went to Google and searched "piano lessons in [City]," but I'm sure there's a better way to find a teacher. I guess I'm mostly worried about getting stuck with a fraud. As teachers, how do you advertise? What are some things I should look for to make sure someone is who he or she claims to be?

Also, I suppose I'm technically an adult, although I'm still a student living with my parents and certainly don't feel like an adult. I don't know if teachers generally do anything special for adult learners. Are they treated differently because they can be expected to grasp material more quickly, because they have busy schedules of their own, or because they can pay a little more for lessons? wink

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I charge the same no matter the level, and I think (from what I've read here) others do too.

I would start by asking around. If you don't know anyone, than call the schools and music stores, they usually have lists.

You can try Craig's list and the phone book too.

There really isn't any way to know if they're frauds, but do ask for references. You have to trust your instincts if you're using some public advertising sites. The most trustworthy public places would be stores. (IMO)

Really, the best way is asking people you know. If you're on facebook put out a query. Things like that.
Good luck!

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There are websites that can put you in touch with a teacher in your area. try privatelessons.com ; takelessons.com. Their teacher selection is legitimate. If they don't have your city, you can call one of the teachers in the nearest large city and ask them for a referral. Or call a music school or the music department in a nearby college. They will often put you in touch with one of their own faculty or refer you to someone. Word of mouth is often your best bet.
P.S. I am not a teacher

Last edited by Andromaque; 06/14/09 08:58 PM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Also try your local mtna: go to www.mtna.org and click on Find a Teacher at the bottom left. Keep in mind that this site only lists certified teachers int eh area, so if the ones you call are filled up, ask them for referrals for other teachers. There are many wonderful teachers who are not certified.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Accumulate all these numbers from the Yellow Pages, MTNA, internet sites, word of mouth friends, ... etc. Then call each teacher up and ask questions.
I normally like to ask
1. Do you teach according to the Exam/grading system?
2. What are your thoughts to the Exam/grading system?
3. Were is your studio located?
4. What are your fees?
5. What are your experiences and qualifications?

And finally the major philosophical question:

What do you percieve to be the fundamentally important areas to learning piano and music education in general?

After this, you should attend some lessons(once you have narrowed it down), some teachers have the first lesson free ... from this evaluation whether this teacher is for you. I think a very important thing to consider is whether you get a long with this teacher, if the teacher takes the lead and establishes goals for you, if the teacher seems enthused and passionate to teaching and if the teacher is interested in taking you on as a teacher. There are some other areas that should be considered to such as: the professionalism (attire, studio appearance and organisation).

Once you have made the decision enjoy the process. It's funny I used to love teacher shopping, putting teachers under a lot of scrutiny over the phone, long conversations. Now as I get more advanced in level I find it's harder to find the right teacher that I have one of my teachers do the searching for me.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Rebekah.L

4. What are your fees?

What do you percieve to be the fundamentally important areas to learning piano and music education in general?

I don't think there is much point in #1 and #2, unless he knows what those things are, and that they are important to him. There are LOT of qualified teachers that aren't involved with those. #4 isn't really a factor either, if you find the teacher that works for you, you go with him (you do need to know, but it shouldn't be a deciding factor).

Now as I get more advanced in level I find it's harder to find the right teacher that I have one of my teachers do the searching for me.

Why are you switching teachers so much?

M
M
How about attending the concert of some musicians and then asking afterwards if they teach? Or ask at the conservatory or university music faculty, the latter is how I found my first clarinet teacher (he wasn't available that summer but one of his good friends was), and some of my students found me as a teacher because they saw me perform! Or look for music teacher blogs for teachers who live in your area, I know at least one parent who said that they thought I was a serious teacher because of the articles I write!

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
J
J
I wanted to take flute lessons this summer, and had the same concerns as the original poster. Most of the music schools around here, while quite reputable (attached to Universities or well-established) seem to be directed more at kids and teens. Since I'm only taking for the summer, I wanted to make sure that I got an experienced teacher who routinely worked with adults. So, I got up my nerve and emailed the head of the flute studio at a nearby University/conservatory. She recommended one of her doctoral students, and that was that.

Be prepared to pay more, though. smile

Judy

P
P
Hi there,

Do you have a network of friends in your area? Ask around; you'd be surprised that even people who don't take lessons might know someone who does and who raves about his/her teacher. If you have any local music stores, you can ask there as well - they usually keep a list of local teachers.

I wrote an article on checking out potential piano teachers that might be helpful for you:

http://www.you-can-play-piano.com/piano-teacher.html

IMO, you do want to talk to potential teachers about teaching adults, and find out if they have beginners of all ages in their studios or if they really only teach young children. There are definitely differences when I teach adults. I want to know what your goals are; what style of music you're most interested in learning; what kind of practice time you're commiting to, etc. In other words, the student has more input over the shape and curriculum of the lessons.

Hope this is helpful for you! It can be a bit of a process to find the right teacher, and you may have to talk to quite a few and visit studios, but's it's time well-invested to find a teacher who will support your goals and motivate you.

Best,

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
There is another web- site that might be of help to you it is GetLessonsNow.com and also the M.T.A.C. Also ask the teacher you are interviewing if they will give you an interview lesson. They may charge you but it doesn't mean you are committed to going with them. Also you need to know what is important to you, and what you want to get out of lessons. Maybe you want to learn to play different styles of music, or just learn to read music better, or learn how to play and stay with a metranome so that your playing is smoother, or learn how to practice and polish your songs, so that you can really enjoy them. Ask the teacher if they do what is important to you and if they will teach you the types of songs that you would like to learn how to play (if you have any).

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory

4. What are your fees?

I don't think there is much point in #1 and #2, unless he knows what those things are, and that they are important to him. There are LOT of qualified teachers that aren't involved with those. #4 isn't really a factor either, if you find the teacher that works for you, you go with him (you do need to know, but it shouldn't be a deciding factor).

Now as I get more advanced in level I find it's harder to find the right teacher that I have one of my teachers do the searching for me.

Why are you switching teachers so much?

4 is not a deciding factor but I think that the student should know what he/she is in for, I ask normally during the end of the interview ... some teachers seriously charge under or over. The grading/exam system is pretty big here in Australia and I normally ask as there are some teachers who are mavericks to this system. I also tell my grade so they know what material I would be able to play. I also ask 1 and 2 because some teachers limit their teaching to the grading and exam system! (I had one of those!)

I have switched teachers 3 times ... I had a teacher when I was 8 but I got agitated and wanted to quit ... so I did and then I returned to piano with a different teacher (lost contact with my first teacher). The second teacher wasn't the most effective teacher as she couldnt help me with many areas that I needed help with (school music) so I switched to a more competent teacher.

Teacher number three was competent but soon I felt that he limited what the taught. The amount of knowledge I had accumulated from other surrounding teachers (school, workshops, masterclasses and other music teacher friends was astounding). I wanted to explore a lot but teacher number 3 was more interested in sticking me to the grading system ... there were other issues too... (but that was the main issue).

The teacher I have now is more than I can ask for ... I'm not hoping to switch anytime soon with this teacher, I was just talking about my other instrument ... (voice) ... she's mentioned that I do need to switch some time soon because I am beginning to outgrow her.

I don't normally switch teachers easily, I've been through four piano teachers. I will assess what is lacking and what my goals are. I then discuss them with my teacher. If the teacher diagrees I will give it a few more lessons and then I will see if I will still want to continue. If I don't I will normally talk to many people (teachers and advanced/proffessional students) and ask around to what they think about my situations ... from there I will evaluate and make a decision.

I've been playing for 9 years and the ratio 4:9 isn't really much it's about 2 years for a teacher. Most of the time when I switch teachers it is on the grounds of: there is so much a teacher can teach a student. (Well atleast that is what my (current) teacher told me)

Last edited by Rebekah.L; 06/18/09 02:54 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
The grading/exam system is pretty big here in Australia and I normally ask as there are some teachers who are mavericks to this system. I also tell my grade so they know what material I would be able to play. I also ask 1 and 2 because some teachers limit their teaching to the grading and exam system!
Just remember the exam system is not a teaching method. Just to know a teacher may or may not enter (some) students for exams doesn't necessarily tell you a lot about their teaching. But to tell a potential teacher you've achieved honours in grade 6 for example does give some useful information for starting with.

Du holde Kunst...
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Ofcourse it doesn't mean anything ... but some teachers I know are against exams. The reason why I ask is so that I can peer into the teacher's philosophy ... I know that the exam system is not a method but some teachers are glued to exams ... some students can only play their four(six) songs and scales ... I ask because it allows me to peer into the philosophy of the teacher. I do ask other questions too ... the lighter questions are asked first and then I throw the big ones in (the open questions). My real thoughts on exams is that it allows teachers in the private lesson world to have goals and structure and it allows students to walk out with an accomplishment but its not everything ... there is a lot more to music and I know too many teachers that stick to the exam system like their only path of life.

smile ... So tired ... sorry if you see so many typos I havent been able to sleep lately! It's crazy! Flipping 3 hours and I wake up energized at 3.00AM! Anyways thats a little OT.

agent3x Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, so many great tips! Thanks!

I was talking to a friend, and she recommended to me a good place to take piano lessons. There's also a state university that I hadn't thought of. Neither are very close, unfortunately, and I don't drive, which makes the search a bit harder...

One more question: I'm home about 8 more weeks, and then it's off to university on the other side of the country. Is it OK to break off lessons after only 8 of them? Surely it would be detrimental to progress, but do teachers find this irritating?

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
It really depends on your goal(s) ...during this 8 week period you might choose to devote your time to getting the basic rudiments (reading music, basic hand positioning, etc) then that is fine for 8 weeks.

Do you plan to continue your studies in university with another teacher? I dont know if teachers would find it irritating but in the singing world some people take ten weeks to learn how to sing one song.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by agent3x
Is it OK to break off lessons after only 8 of them? Surely it would be detrimental to progress, but do teachers find this irritating?

As long as you make it crystal clear that is your plan, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's not necessarily detrimental. You only have the time you have, make the most of it!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by agent3x
I'm not a teacher, so sorry if this is in the wrong place! I thought I could get some good insight from teachers here, though.

I've been playing for a few years already, focusing mostly on theory because I can teach that to myself, but I'd like to learn more about the technical aspects of playing and also work on ear-training.

I just went to Google and searched "piano lessons in [City]," but I'm sure there's a better way to find a teacher. I guess I'm mostly worried about getting stuck with a fraud. As teachers, how do you advertise? What are some things I should look for to make sure someone is who he or she claims to be?

Also, I suppose I'm technically an adult, although I'm still a student living with my parents and certainly don't feel like an adult. I don't know if teachers generally do anything special for adult learners. Are they treated differently because they can be expected to grasp material more quickly, because they have busy schedules of their own, or because they can pay a little more for lessons? wink

In our area, most of the teachers offer a free introductory lesson/meet and greet. Really, you have to take 1 or 2 lessons to find out. Maybe even 3. By then you'll know.
I'm not a teacher, but I'm an "experienced" student. I'd have a list of questions, including, "what is a typical lesson like?" You want a teacher who first of all teaches you correct body mechanics and hand position...and you have to research a bit to make sure they know what they're talking about. Secondly, decide if you want to do classical, pop, a combo. Third, what do you want? Do you want to learn scales, sight reading, technique and repertoire? Or are you interested in mainly having your pieces worked on? I'm mid to high intermediate, and I took classes at our local college for 3 semesters (class piano). I learned what to learn as far as theory, scales, etc...got used to playing inf ront of other students, but got very little if any insight on interpretation, correct hand position. I tried 3 teachers before it clicked with the 4th. Unfortunately, I now have no piano!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission