2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1221906 06/24/09 01:50 AM
C
cothse Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was either born with or acquired very early in life a few mallet fingers, which I never cared much about until I started to play the piano several years ago. Now for the past few months, I've been dabbling with Fantaisie Impromptu, and the mallet on my left index finger is starting to create a fairly substantial problem; the finger locks up right from the outset with the stretch of the 5-3-2, and I lose a fair amount of control over the motion of the hand as a result.

I read a number of articles online about mallet fingers, but everything I've read addresses only mallets resulting from injury and suggest a corrective splint, whereas mine are already quite permanent and I don't think a splint will do anything. I've also read about surgical repair, but they warn that it's fairly risky in that said finger may lose some viability.

Has anyone by chance had an experience correcting a "permanent" mallet finger, and what would you advise? I wonder if just bending the tip of the finger back at the first joint with some kind of a nonobstructive device that I can wear playing might solve the problem; any such thing invented? confused

Last edited by cothse; 06/24/09 01:51 AM.
You should see a "hand surgeon," and if possible, one who works with pianists/musicians.

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'd have to see you play to see how much of a problem this represents. However, if it is really hampering your progress, I would look into surgery. You stand to gain the ability to progress further, and the risk is that you will not be able to play as well as you'd like, which is what the case is now, right? Sounds like you don't have anything to lose. Do get a couple of opinions from doctors and yes, definitely ask around for one who works with musicians.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Reading online about surgery is one thing. Finding a doctor is another thing. Finding a good doctor is another thing.

I don't know anything about your condition; this is the first time I've heard of it. But if it were me, I would get the best, most expert advice I could, maybe from more than one source.

I do know that doing any kind of procedure with the hand or fingers is risky; the size, the delicacy, the complexity, the problem of swelling impeding circulation after surgery. I also know that microsurgical techniques have improved greatly in recent years.

You can play, as things stand. So, you have some scope for action and room to improve without doing anything. Almost none of us can play everything, and almost all of us have to do some kind of workaround. So, that is hopeful.

A good doc will help you get the best result with the least-drastic treatment. Don't depend on web pages and online forums for something so important.

Clef

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission