Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (Alux, AtlantisHero, bennevis, Astronomas, 18 invisible), 1228 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Topic Options
#1220225 - 06/20/09 06:42 PM Yamaha CVP 407
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Hello, I started looking at pianos to replace my returned Knabe grand. Anyway, I decided to look at DP, specifically Yamahas and Rolands, and I went to a local Yamaha dealer who had a big sale and lots of acoustic and DP. I started downstairs with cheap rentals...not. Moved upstairs to look at digitals...there was one, count one Roland a KR 575, that they would sell for $3400 approximately. I liked it way better than the similarly priced Yamahas. Then the salesman showed me the CVP 407...what FUN! I really liked its little computer screen (I know NOTHING about DP/synths so excuse my jargon), and the way it wrote the score I was playing while we recorded me. Then it played it back and it could be transposed. Plus it had a bunch of songs programmed in for playing with, along with some song arrangements. My FAVORITE aspect was the instant wireless connection where I could download more songs. It was listed at about $10,000, on sale for $8,000, I'd never spend that much but was it ever fun.

So I'm sure there are other keyboards that do the same thing, but I was impressed. Quite frankly, I liked playing it and the Roland better than most of the acoustics, including the grands.

So I'm pretty sure I'll get a digital. What I want is something that record multi-tracks, I'd like something with wireless and that transposes, and that writes out the music I'm playing. and for less than $8,000. Is that possible?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1220230 - 06/20/09 07:07 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Nikalette]
hankdennemann Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Hi,

Aside from the CVP line of the Yamaha's, I know of no other DP that features the wireless connectivity and ability to download new music to the native screen. And $8k is a pretty good price for that unit in CA, although I had a dealer here in Ohio down to about $7500 (but they insist on delivery, which costs me $200 and them something far less, I imagine).

In any event, if you don't want to spend $8k on the CVP 407, you could just as easily buy a less expensive Roland or Yamaha, buy a $400 laptop with video out, buy an LCD monitor, and go to www.sunhawk.com and download and view as much music as you want. And it would be coming to you on a much bigger screen than the one built into the 407. And even with the computer and monitor, you would still be paying thousands less than $8k. And you can install any number of sequencing programs on the laptop that will score your music as you play it (this has been a common feature in sequencing programs for a while).

Most of the Roland and Yamaha DP's have multi-track recording. With Yamaha, I think the CLP 340 and up all have 16 tracks. Granted, you are giving up the nice, integrated display of the 407, but if you can take function over form it isn't a bad compromise.

#1220260 - 06/20/09 08:16 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: hankdennemann]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Take a look at the Yamaha CVP403 and 405 models for a lot less money. They do everything you are interested in.

#1220336 - 06/20/09 11:57 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: hankdennemann]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hankdennemann
Hi,

Aside from the CVP line of the Yamaha's, I know of no other DP that features the wireless connectivity and ability to download new music to the native screen. And $8k is a pretty good price for that unit in CA, although I had a dealer here in Ohio down to about $7500 (but they insist on delivery, which costs me $200 and them something far less, I imagine).

In any event, if you don't want to spend $8k on the CVP 407, you could just as easily buy a less expensive Roland or Yamaha, buy a $400 laptop with video out, buy an LCD monitor, and go to www.sunhawk.com and download and view as much music as you want. And it would be coming to you on a much bigger screen than the one built into the 407. And even with the computer and monitor, you would still be paying thousands less than $8k. And you can install any number of sequencing programs on the laptop that will score your music as you play it (this has been a common feature in sequencing programs for a while).

Most of the Roland and Yamaha DP's have multi-track recording. With Yamaha, I think the CLP 340 and up all have 16 tracks. Granted, you are giving up the nice, integrated display of the 407, but if you can take function over form it isn't a bad compromise.

Actually after reading a bit more I think I might be able to get that 407 a lot less, but according to the brochure the 405 has pretty much everything I want. Which Roland does about the same. I really like the feel and sound of the Roland a lot better.

#1220337 - 06/21/09 12:01 AM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Marty Flinn]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
Take a look at the Yamaha CVP403 and 405 models for a lot less money. They do everything you are interested in.

The other issue for me is the lack of portability of those models. I'm wondering what keyboard would do the same stuff but not in the big old heavy cabinet. I can see how the speakers were pretty nice on the 407 and it was nice that the pedals were "piano like" rather than an "add on" but I'm thinking the ability to move the keyboard around would make up for the inconvenience of having to add speakers and pedals.

#1221178 - 06/22/09 06:11 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Nikalette]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yamaha Tyros III, stand, amp/spkrs, optional pedals, connected to a laptop. Badabing.

#1223515 - 06/27/09 10:57 AM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Nikalette]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The local music stores have a pretty limited supply of DP (except the Yamaha dealer). Anyway I tried out the YPG-635 at a store yesterday (runs $900-1000 "on sale" most places). It actually sounds very good through my Bose headphones (which I brought). I found it at Kraft in a bundle for $1015 including the optional stationary 3 pedal attachment, the "furniture" style bench, an extended 3 year warranty, and a few other things. The pedals usually cost $80-90, free shipping, so it seems like a good deal. It has a USB and a thumb drive. Free shipping and probably no tax since it's not in CA would be quite a savings. I'm leaning towards this. I'm not finding a lot on here about this DP.

I realized I really don't care about the extra instrument voices....just piano, maybe EP, organ...want midi, drive slot,
recording capability and some kind of tutoring thing for new pieces. I'd like a better screen that the one on the 635 but for the price....

#1223557 - 06/27/09 12:40 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Nikalette]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

If you're mainly a classical player, I'd think you'd
soon tire of all those bells and whistles on the
CVP models. You can get many good digitals for
less than $1000. For example, the Casio PX 800 and
the M-Audio DCP 200 are both $900 online. You
couldn't go wrong with either.

To put this into perspective, I'm mainly a classical
player. I've had a high-end acoustic upright piano
in storage for many yrs.; a similar model today
would be in the ~$20,000 price range. But I
play a $600 Williams Overture; it's more practical
and I like it better. I can play anything on the Overture,
including concert pianist-level stuff the the Chopin
op. 14.

#1223563 - 06/27/09 12:49 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Gyro]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

How do we go from a CVP407 to a YPG635? The touch, tone, features, functionality, price are not in the same ball park!

#1223585 - 06/27/09 01:27 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Marty Flinn]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
How do we go from a CVP407 to a YPG635? The touch, tone, features, functionality, price are not in the same ball park!

I know. It's definitely a big step down. But I'm gun shy now since my Knabe experience and I'm trying not to spend as much.

I probably don't need all the features of the 407 although I love them. The touch and tone relative to an accoustic good quality grand piano are the most important thing. That's my reason for leaving the whole new accoustic behind. I probably can't get an acoustic I'll be happy with.

The portability is another issue, although I may not need to move it around, it would be nice to be able to.

The recording options, ports, etc...

I'll take some more time, I just have to bite the bullet and drive in to some bigger dealers....perhaps in San Francisco, Berkeley.

We're going up to Sacramento on July 10, so we may look up there.

I'm still kind of broken down from the whole Knabe ordeal, but all I have here is a Casio CTK 591, which I could live with, if it had a longer keyboard, but it's only got 2 octaves below middle C and that is limiting even for blues and jazz, much less classical.

Maybe I just need to rent or get a nearly free upright in here ASAP to take the pressure off, but the rentals sound horrible.

#1223647 - 06/27/09 03:42 PM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Gyro]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gyro
If you're mainly a classical player, I'd think you'd
soon tire of all those bells and whistles on the
CVP models. You can get many good digitals for
less than $1000. For example, the Casio PX 800 and
the M-Audio DCP 200 are both $900 online. You
couldn't go wrong with either.

To put this into perspective, I'm mainly a classical
player. I've had a high-end acoustic upright piano
in storage for many yrs.; a similar model today
would be in the ~$20,000 price range. But I
play a $600 Williams Overture; it's more practical
and I like it better. I can play anything on the Overture,
including concert pianist-level stuff the the Chopin
op. 14.

There was an M Audio 250 at the music store. I thought the Yamaha sounded better and it had more features for just a couple hundred more. I haven't tried a Casio PX 800...haven't found any in the area.

I do also play some blues, pop and am working on Jazz. I sing quite a bit, so accompaniment on everything but classical matters.

Do you think the 2 models you named are better than the Yamaha?

#1319364 - 12/06/09 02:45 AM Re: Yamaha CVP 407 [Re: Nikalette]
BYeh1 Offline

Anyone know what a good closeout price on a CVP-405 and CVP-407 would go for in California? Any recommendations for choosing between the 2 models?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Concert prep
by SMHaley
Today at 12:19 AM
Gillette Piano Academy
by Jonathan Baker
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
I need help with these music sheet symbols
by Cristian88
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
Need help identifying Young Chang grand
by electone2007
Yesterday at 07:42 PM
Anyone have a burglar step on his grand piano?
by swampwiz
Yesterday at 07:16 PM
Forum Stats
77000 Members
42 Forums
159257 Topics
2339499 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission