Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 36 of 90 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 89 90 >
Topic Options
#84041 - 01/24/08 10:52 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hehe eFatz, happens to me with much much simpler pieces, i have to play the piece once or twice before it sounds good, it's always lidat arh, even if i have played the piece in the morning three times, in the afternoon it's the same thing again

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#84042 - 01/24/08 01:13 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
 Quote:
Originally posted by doremi:
...it's always lidat arh... [/b]
Nope. Should be "...it's always lidat lor..." (sometimes spelled "loh")

#84043 - 01/24/08 04:12 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LOL, by the time I need to speak the language, I will be fluent \:D

#84044 - 01/28/08 02:52 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Michael Turing Offline

Hi all, new to the forum. I'm looking for a good used upright, and I'd like to know whether anyone here has had any particularly good (or bad) experiences in this market recently. This will be a piano primarily for my wife and daughter, both beginners. I've heard good things about the Yamaha U3/U5/UX instruments. Would anyone who has purchased one of these in SG care to share his or her experience?

Thanks much.

#84045 - 01/28/08 09:49 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

All 3 models are jolly good pianos imho.
All are reliable and relatively trouble free.
All works as musical instrument, and surely, as a wondeful learning to performace piano.

U3 = Toyota Camry
U5 = Toyota Picnic
UX = Toyota Corolla with sports suspension
\:D

But others may have different opinion.
I tend not to compare it with BMW or merc.. hehehe

#84046 - 01/28/08 10:35 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
indigo123 Offline

Hi Michael,

I second snoopycar's opinion.
In addition, there are also models above UX by Yamaha like UX3, UX5.
Although Yamaha pianos are quite reliable, you need to judge them individually since they are pre-owned (how the previous owner(s) take care of them is a big factor in their durability). Remember to check for rust on the strings (ask the shop to open the cabinet and rub a white namecard/tissue paper over the strings), check for deep groves on the hammer heads. Yamaha pianos tend to sound quite bright when the groves on hammer heads are deep and very compact. Also, check for cracks on the soundboard.

You can also get a copy Larry Fine's or Arthur A. Reblitz's books which provides a lot more pointers on how to choose a used piano.

Good Luck!

#84047 - 01/29/08 09:19 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
dreaming Offline

omg so many post, one of the ost
anyway, i think ordering a second hand upright from ebay would be a great idea and other sites too,
oh and cosider yourself for a german branded Vogel, really good but would cost more than 2000

#84048 - 01/29/08 10:28 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lovschimmel:
omg so many post, one of the ost
anyway, i think ordering a second hand upright from ebay would be a great idea and other sites too,
oh and cosider yourself for a german branded Vogel, really good but would cost more than 2000 [/b]
You are joking right, buying second-hand pianos off eBay etc sight unseen and without having a tech examine it first?!

#84049 - 01/29/08 08:29 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Angel Zhou Offline

Hi All,

New member here from Singapore - and I really really need your advice on getting new a piano as I'm really a novice on piano buying.

Basically I used to learn piano when I was very young until I stopped when I go to college. After getting married, I feel the urge to pick up piano again and decided to get one.

My criteria is :
1. Upright piano ( space limitation )
2. I want WHITE colour ( this has been my long-term-dream since young to have a white piano since I watch Richard's music video ages ago ) I'm obsessed with white piano!
3. Affordable ( budget max 5k. )
4. Suitable for my needs. I don't need a concert quality piano, but I want it to be solid enough and pleasing to listen to.
5. Have long life-span. I don't want to get a piano that's going to collapse after a year or two.
6. Easy to maintain.
7. I prefer to get brand new piano.

My background :
I used to be at intermediate / advance level but being out of touch after several years I'll downgrade my status as slightly above beginner. Mainly I play classical music but also do improvisation. I used to play piano almost everyday for 2-3 hours.

Previously I use YAMAHA upright piano that's already been in my house for around 15 years and *apart from 1-2 key that does not sounds right anymore* pretty much still kicking~

So far, only these shop responded to my criteria :
- Robert Piano : Moutrie
- Renner : Elington ( model Deluxe ) and Stainberg & Song ( model 122R )
- Christofori : basically they said I can order any of their piano and they will paint it white for me

Anyone have any suggestion on these brands? Care to share experience? Or you know any other shop selling piano that can answer my needs better?

Thanks in advance!

#84050 - 01/29/08 09:37 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well interesting, i found there's a reason for piano being polished black. When you play, you can see the reflection of the audience behind you, if they are making funny face at you or not \:D But seriously, black could be easier to repair for dinks and scatches(to be confirm)

But anyway, white turns "rice white" after some time due to UV. If technology is right, it can last. I kinda like white pianos too, i don't mind other colours too - haha.

Practically, perhaps i suggest you to take a "test drive" on a white piano first. Put a piece or 2 music sheet on the piano. Are you overwhelm by the white-ness, is it distracting. Or does a black background provide better contrast?

With 5k budget, it's quite powerful \:D
Buying piano can be personal at times.
Don't be surprise your final choice turns out differently. BTW, how is your previous piano? Can it be fixed to a reasonably good condition? Really, yamaha is a reliable sturdy brand. If yours is a U1, expect it to last 30yrs or more.

Sorry i can't help much on new pianos.... i tend to lean towards recommending a good used pianos - best run for the bucks.

Happy searching
cheers

#84051 - 01/29/08 10:07 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Angel Zhou Offline

Actually I would still love it when it turns antique white - I think there is a certain charm about it!

But the white on white makes sense too~ I'll bring piano notes on my next trip.

My previous piano ( actually to be 'correct' would be the piano my parents bought for me when I was young ) is still in very good condition and currently residing in my parent's house and used by my younger siblings. I'm not sure about the type but I shall say it's very reliable. The only problem I can recall is one note tend to stick after I hit it - and another tend to be a little bit out of tune. However as one is at the extreme low and another one in the extreme high - the problem can be counted as minority.

#84052 - 01/29/08 10:12 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Angel Zhou Offline

Okay, after reading it on a second time I think I did not explain properly.
Actually I just recently got married and finally have my own place - hence looking for a piano to be placed to my new flat. The previous yamaha piano i was refering to is actually belong to my family and reside on my parent's house - which they bought for me when I was young.

#84053 - 01/30/08 03:03 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yep, i quite understand... I just thought if piano wasn't utilize at parent's home, perhap it could be moved ;D just tying to probe(nosy)

sorry, got some spare time to be a little cheong-hay..... Warning, below section is optional. My get drosy after reading \:D

Choosing or recommending pianos have never been easy. Branded or less branded? Used or New? Cheapest, moderate or most expensive? Different buyer have different expectation levels. Some can accept compromises, some wants the best. Some got-sound-can-already.

Buying new is more challenging. The first decision has to be right. If after a short time, you finds it not so desirable, it'll depreciate sharply. If one tend to be not so fuzzy, choose the piano after playing some "test" songs on all the piano under audition. Decide with credits based on tone and touch.

It is possible to take the "mobile phone" route. Buy a new one within budget, but as the dealer whats the trade in value scheme if you decide to trade up to a better model later.

The second hand piano route reduce the lost if one is ok with the idea of swapping piano every now and then. Provided one choose a good piano/brand everytime. I have this concept that as pianist taste may change in time, why not change piano too? So one can take ones time to "piano shopping" even after one has gotten a piano last month. It's like always looking out for "Mr Right". After getting mr right, i want mr Righter.

In addition: Frankly, it's hard to get feedback whether how is brand X piano compare to brand Y piano. Pianist recommendation is subjective at times. I only wish there are forum threads on brand/model, like those of car forum. "how the fuel comsumption of you Honda Jazz... my picanto can do 17km/l... hows the road noise of your Altis.....which solar film is good and cheap? What tyre is good, kumho or bridgestone, how about goodyear?

If only someone can invent a Pianist Robot. This robot plays a selection of piano sonatas, Bach, Beethoven, chopin..... A analyzer computer digitize, record and gives a result base on anything you can think of, key weight, touch dynamics, bass response, treble volume, harmonic character.. and comes out with a report card. Ta-da... a piano grand prix!!

=================================================
So whats the bottom line pls??

Simplify things I'd say, get a second or third opinion. Bring another pianist friend also to the showroom, try out the piano. Take turns to play. Make a score card, grade 1-5 stars on tone and touch. At the end of the search, judge base on the score lor.. (if there's a tie, i don't know how, buy both. or draw lots) Maintain your dignity, walk out if shop hints sacarsm.

Piano purchase knows no boundaries - literally. Buy the best budget allows. Only the pianist knows whats best - a piano that can express the message of the music.

have everyone fallen asleep? (oh pls stop we can't take it anymore..... haha )

#84054 - 01/30/08 03:53 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Angel Zhou Offline

A good write up indeed =)

Personally I dont think I will ever sell the piano away. It sounds strange but I find that there is a bond between a pianist and his / her piano after a few years playing the same piano & getting used to it. Unless the piano completely broken for whatsoever reason, I don't think I can bring myself selling a piano I've been playing for a few years. Maybe the new one ( if after a few months I still cant bond with it ) but not the old one. It will be like selling away a family pet.

#84055 - 01/30/08 09:07 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
eFatz Offline

actually the problems that you have reported here are issues that a good tech can fix quite easily..
regarding white pianos... sorry i'm so used to black pianos that even pianos of natural wood tone/color make me feel strange, so i guess i can't help u there

#84056 - 01/31/08 04:30 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Angel Zhou

Haha I went jalan jalan just now...
Guess where?

I went to cristofori. bedok.
If you are looking for brand new model, you might consider the Weber WLE 480 model. It's 121cm. Price, around 4k. Sound and touch is 4 star. IMHO, the tone is wonderful on the mellow side, quite consistant timbre. Bass, no strange metalic sound - good. Tenor section, medium thick. Upper treble, acceptable. I enjoy playing it till i pai-say.... staffs were courteous too.

The touch is smooth. Weight is nice. Comparable to japanese brand. If you pass by, do drop by for a "test drive".

Overall verdict best value for money \:D

Looking at the second hand section, there 2 model you might like to consider, a 131cm Young Chang and yamaha U1. Both are my "pick of the month".

cheers

#84057 - 01/31/08 05:46 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hillsboro Beach South Florida
Angel Zhou,

Kawai K-3 is available in Snow White Polish.

For information click on:

www.kawaius.com

Then click on Upright pianos, then click on K series, then click on K-3.

Best wishes,

Bear
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)

#84058 - 01/31/08 12:21 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
J.C Offline

i was just wondering where do u guys take your piano lessons? Private @ home ? or At some music schools?

i'm looking for a teacher or a school. can't decide. suggestions? =)

#84059 - 02/01/08 12:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
I just wonna make sure this thread doesn't die.

Gotta make it page 100!!

Norbert :p

#84060 - 02/01/08 01:36 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Norbert:
I just wonna make sure this thread doesn't die.

Gotta make it page 100!!

Norbert :p [/b]
Hey Norbert, you visit this thread too! \:D We are a long way from 100 pages. The thread that takes the cake has to be the one on Chopin, with over 3500 posts!

#84061 - 02/01/08 01:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J.C:
i was just wondering where do u guys take your piano lessons? Private @ home ? or At some music schools?

i'm looking for a teacher or a school. can't decide. suggestions? =) [/b]
It's a mixture isn't it. Some take lessons privately at home or at the teacher's home. Some take lessons with a music school like Yamaha, Kawai, and others. And some teach themselves. Yes it is possible, once you have acquired sufficient technique and a very critical ear, and have the passion to go find things out and try things on the keyboard.

I don't know how many on this thread know about the website Fundamentals of Piano Practice . I have been teaching myself since resuming piano playing in December 2006, and found it to be very useful. Some of what the author says is controversial, but it doesn't detract from the good parts.

#84062 - 02/01/08 04:29 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

"off topic"

Where can we find delicious roti pratas?
Sembawang road, beside sembawand shopping center, beside the mobil station? Fluffy, crispy??
24hr some more....

hehe, i just added another post.

#84063 - 02/01/08 07:32 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
bachie Offline

Hi,

Thank you all who have helped me directly or indirectly in my search for a piano. I have finally got myself a piano - Yamaha MC10A (supposedly a U1 equivalent..*shrugs*) \:\) Can't wait for it to be delivered tomorrow!

#84064 - 02/01/08 08:25 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
indigo123 Offline

Congrats, bachie! \:\) Wish you years of enjoyment ahead. ;\)

#84065 - 02/01/08 08:31 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
sping Offline

Dear all,

Anybody has any good and experienced teacher to recommend? Preferably to be able to come to my place (in the north-east area) once every 2 weeks. I am an adult going on to G4 level.

Thanks in advance...

#84066 - 02/01/08 09:07 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Angel Zhou Offline

Thanks all for the advices~

snoopy car > I'll keep that in mind! And I love the prata at Jalan Kayu >=D But be prepared for the Q though...

Bear > Actually i did call Kawai agent in singapore... and they said that they are not bringing in white piano.

Yesterday I went to Robert Music and tried their Montrie. FALL IN LOVE IN THE FIRST SIGHT~! One of it is just my dream piano came to live literally.

However we have a little issue with space as it's bigger than what I initially imagine. Finger cross that we can solve the issue, since me and my husband just totally smitten by the beauty.

#84067 - 02/02/08 02:54 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
eFatz Offline

Actually i have spoken to Mr Chiu, the owner of robert. What he told me is that Moutrie is one of the oldest piano manufacturers in China, they actually started production in between world war I and II, so they are actually a pretty good company with decent technology even though they are not as well-known as pearl river. the Moutrie should be really good value for money....

#84068 - 02/02/08 03:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Ju4n Offline

Loc: Jakarta
to Artemov:

It's never been to late learn playing piano if you have a desire. I learn playing piano by myself through read and practise...

#84069 - 02/02/08 04:38 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
rains Offline

hi all,

I would like to know if any of you could recommend a good piano tutor for a child-beginner in the north area, somewhere in yishun, sembawang, woodlands or admiralty would be great.

Thanks!

#84070 - 02/02/08 04:40 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
rains Offline

Page 36 of 90 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 89 90 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (anotherscott, bennevis, angelsong, 36251, 24 invisible), 1344 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153540 Topics
2250150 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission