Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 81 of 90 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 89 90 >
Topic Options
#1282293 - 10/07/09 09:51 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Btw, has anyone tried the Yamaha digital Avantgrand N3 that was advertised in Sat's Life a few weeks ago? Seems like a really cool toy, but the price (SGD20+K if I remember correctly) is pretty high. I thought my Yamaha DGT2A GranTouch was super-ex, but for a digital, the N3 blows everything away price-wise.

Am contemplating the new Roland C-30 digital harpsichord... very itchy...

Edited by Roxane (10/07/09 09:54 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1282334 - 10/07/09 10:42 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
fj_s Offline

Loc: Singapore
Looks really quite nice, but haven't had the chance to try. I would suppose it's the top end if you need a silent option for practice at night (which I certainly do!)

I think there was a sale at the launch such that it was exactly SGD20k. RIght now it's rather expensive.

Mozart: Sonata in D Major, k576
Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op 53
Berg: Sonata in B minor, Op 1
Bach: Partita in C Minor, BWV 826

#1282341 - 10/07/09 10:49 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

fj_s, the N3 is also quite heavy as well as big (equivalent to 4' baby grand). As I understand it, the technology is the same in N3 and N2, so unless aesthetics is an issue, maybe the N2 upright would make more sense in terms of size and economy.

I just hope Yamaha has improved the key action in the Avantgard. Although my GranTouch is supposed to share the same wooden keyboard as their CFIII concert grand, playing it hard gives me hand fatigue quite quickly because the key depth/dip (I think that's what it's called) is quite shallow – akin to the jarring feeling one gets when stepping down from a step that turns out to be shallower than one thinks.

Edited by Roxane (10/07/09 10:55 AM)

#1282377 - 10/07/09 11:41 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
fj_s Offline

I hear the N3 has some nifty progressive pedaling technology (whether it is worth an additional $5k is a different story.

I'm thinking of heading down to try to Avantgrand this week if I can find the time; will keep people posted. smile

I would say though after trying out a few Yamahas that they tend to have more shallow (or at least it feels less 'meaty') key touch, which is ok with me as I own a Yamaha, but it would be quite different in your case. smile

#1283382 - 10/08/09 11:27 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
Bihua Offline

Originally Posted By: Roxane
Bihua, you are bo liow now because that little package is still neatly in your tummy... wait until you pop!

The little package is coming out soon....so excited...haha...ya, by then I think I will not have time to bo liow anymore:P

#1283383 - 10/08/09 11:33 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Bihua]
Bihua Offline

oh, I saw that in the Yamaha shop as well...haha...I am very bo liow...but I didn't try...it is called a "Hybrid piano" right? Was wondering why so ex? What is the difference between this one and a digital piano? As in, it is still digital right?

And how is this compared to those silent pianos? I would thought silent pianos have a upper hand?

#1283635 - 10/09/09 10:18 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Bihua]
fj_s Offline

Well they promise much more authentic sound reproduction, plus a grand-type action in a smaller space, as well as tricked out pedaling, which means that the technology is superior to the silent pianos. Also, Yamaha claims to reproduce the CFIIIS concert grand in a 4 foot package, which is quite useful for people short of space. smile

#1286065 - 10/13/09 11:24 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
fj_s Offline

Dropped by Yamaha to try the Avantgrand. It's really quite nice, and feels like a C1/C2/C3 with additional functionalities.

The touch is light, but very responsive and the sound is a few steps above all of the other Yamaha digitals. I'm not sure if it would feel shallow though, though it felt definitely much lighter than say a Bohemia. smile

Would I buy it? The biggest virtue is its small footprint, multiple functions, while feeling like a C1/C2/C3.

On the other hand, I can't get over the nagging feeling that it's a good fake for a real piano. (The Tactile response system, the touch, tone, sound, etc are all a little too consistent - is that good or bad?)

So far, apparently they have not managed to sell a single one, despite Singapore being a nation of apartment dwellers. Perhaps pianists are all too traditional...

#1286464 - 10/14/09 12:08 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the test-drive review, fj_s! It sounds really interesting and I hope to go and try it soon for myself.

Not surprised they have not sold any. It's the price, lah! If it were around the $12K mark, they might persuade those who buy the silent U1 to step up for the Avantgrand, but $20K for the N3 is hard to justify for a digital.

#1286468 - 10/14/09 12:22 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
fj_s Offline

Yeah, $20k is a bit steep. $15k on the other hand... (looks wistfully)

They now have a silent U3, but I would say that the N3 feels and sounds better than both the silent U1 and U3, though it would be a far far cry from your current grand piano. smile

#1288531 - 10/17/09 12:11 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
Empress_Place Offline

Hi I am new to this forum. I have advanced piano grades in the past but have not played for a long time. I am looking to buy a piano for my own leisure and for my young kids to start lessons in the future. I intend to keep the piano whether or not they continue lessons. However resale value is still a consideration. I had played on an East German Alexander Hermann when I was growing up but the piano is now in a bad condition.

It would be a great help if some of the more experienced members here in Singapore could help me out.

It seems to me for Band 1 (S$5000 or less), the options are brand new Hailun HL125 or used Yamaha U1 or U3 or Kawai K3 or K5.

The next band up would be Band 2(S$8K to S$11K). The safe choices would be brand new Yamaha U1 or U3 and Kawai U1 or U3.

Sauter sounds like an excellent choice for budget of S$30K and up. Say call this Band 3. All these bands are made up by me of course. smile

What are the good options that are above Band 2 but below Band 3? I hear very little discussion of the German brands like Wilh. Steinberger and the English brand Kemble sold by Chiu Piano. These seem to be in the S$20K range.

Comments or advice on the above are welcome. Thank you!

#1288702 - 10/17/09 11:34 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Empress_Place]
fj_s Offline

For that range, I like the Seiler uprights (The eduard seiler impuls 126 is available at around $15-18k), which has a very nice and responsive touch, though it may be a tad light for many. (But still no problems paying pp.) The Seiler 132 Konzert SMR is slightly more expensive, but has a very nice, silvery treble, and a responsive touch.

You could also probably get a "Band 3" used upright for that price, though they are rare.

That being said, at the Band 2-3 range, you are better off getting a grand piano if you have space. After testing a lot of uprights, the high-end uprights are generally better in terms of sound, but not necessarily touch viz baby grands. However, once you get to around the 6 foot range for grands, the grand piano almost strictly dominates.

$20k+ can get you a decent grand that can out-compete with a high end upright. (e.g. Kawai RX1/GE30, Yamaha GC2, Hailun 178, Wilhem Tell, or one of the premium Korean brands or even a relatively new RX2/3 are all for less than $20k, and are very very good.)

#1288742 - 10/17/09 12:58 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

I like the Seilers too. You might wish to see if you can get your hands on an IBach. A friend reported seeing a couple at either Beauty World or Bukit Timah Plaza last year for about 18K. They are not well-known and have financial misfortunes recently, but they are ranked right up there with Steingraeber and Steinway, etc. My friend eventually found an old IBach for 5K, and while not the best-preserved specimen internally, I can testify that its action will put even the 6' Yamaha C3 grand to shame. While a Yamaha grand might have a bigger sound, good European uprights can give more pleasure in their overall tone and touch.

#1288775 - 10/17/09 01:51 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
fj_s Offline

Yes, I have heard good things about the Ibach too, but have not had the fortune to try them. frown

I agree with Roxane that very good uprights can put even a quality grand to shame. It's just that they tend towards $30-45k in price, and for the same price range, the grands tend to have an advantage.

But if you can get one of those very good quality uprights for a discount (Ibach for 18k comes to mind - mental note to self to look for an Ibach to audition), it would be a good deal. Also, if space is a premium, then that's a completely different story entirely.

#1288835 - 10/17/09 04:27 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
kenviz Offline

Hi, All PIANIST Here !

I spent 5 hrs reading posts since 2006........my conclusion...........

This forum is just like a SHAOLIN TEMPLE of PIANO PURCHASING smile

I am new in this forum and wish to obtain some advice for piano shopping.
My son age 13, started his piano lesson with a YAMAHA Clavinova CLP230 since
Jan this year, due to his hard work & determination, he has qualified to sit for the grade 6 exam in this coming December.

Thus, i am urgently searching for a piano for his need, my max budget is approx.$4K some friends recommended me KAWAI US50 & YAMAHA U3 but i have no idea which is a better piano.

Hope can get some advice from gurus in this forum.

Edited by kenviz (10/17/09 04:29 PM)

#1288996 - 10/17/09 08:48 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: kenviz]
Gabe Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
You might get more attention and more responses if you started a new thread as your queston is not related (I don't think) to buying a piano in Singapore.

#1298347 - 11/02/09 02:54 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Gabe]
Vigelic Offline

Loc: singapore
uh, assuming kenviz is from singapore, isn't his question about which piano to get for $4k related to the topic?

anyway here's my opinion:
for $4k, i ended up getting a hailun 125.

But then, somehow, i guess i don't have much good things to say about it. firstly, the spring loaded lock at the top right front corner of the piano tends to vibrate in the note F, in any octave. Unlocking and relocking it usually solves it for a short while and the problem comes back again.

secondly, the keys are very tiring to play. perhaps not so for a seasoned pianist, but its hard for a grade 1 pianist like me, so perhaps your son might not take a liking to it. they are quite heavy and thus needs energy to press down.

etc. etc. lols. but after considering its price tag i think i'm happy with it (: for now.

#1299234 - 11/04/09 01:00 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Vigelic]
HNB Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi all,

Somebody mentioned above that they were looking at a Kawai K-5 ATX (ie silent version), for just over SGD 12k. Is this the correct price??

I'm in Perth, Western Australia, and am very interested in getting a K-5 ATX. They don't seem to be available at all in Australia. But SGD 12k is so very very cheap... it's only about AUD 9,500 which is a thousand dollars cheaper than a plain K5!

So I guess my question is... is that a usual price for Singapore... and would a piano from Singapore be suitable for the Australian climate?

Thanks heaps,
Dave

#1300408 - 11/06/09 10:38 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: HNB]
Bihua Offline

Vigelic,

Did you highlight your problems to Piano Master? Think they will send someone down to help you to resolve them if you call them up.

As for the heavy keys, you can opt for lighter actions actually. I tried their lighter ones, not as heavy, which may suit you better, you might want to ask for a swop? smile

#1301581 - 11/08/09 12:13 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Bihua]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Bihua *waves*, have you "popped" yet? grin

#1303963 - 11/12/09 11:41 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
Bihua Offline

Hi Roxanne,

Yeah! Just discharged from the hospital. My little girl arrived on 9 Nov 09. So busy now! But will sure still try to log on as much as I can! So happy now! smile

#1303976 - 11/12/09 11:55 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Bihua]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Major congratulations, Bihua! 3hearts Glad to know you and the little one are well. No more time for piano practice, liao... crazy

#1304246 - 11/12/09 06:33 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Roxane]
fj_s Offline

Congratulations Bihua! smile

9/11/9 is a great number to remember, very lucky. Get lots of rest! smile

#1305865 - 11/15/09 04:33 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
Bihua Offline

Thanks Roxanne & fj_s! smile

#1317054 - 12/02/09 09:19 PM Re: Schimmel C130 or Whil.Steinberg [Re: Bihua]
Mirik Offline

Hi, i'm new in the forum. Would like advise on comparing between Schimmel C130 and Whil.Steinberg IQ28. We have been shopping for a upright piano for awhile and narrowed down to two. Can't really decide which is better. crazy

Edited by Chuan (12/02/09 09:36 PM)

#1319439 - 12/06/09 08:43 AM Re: Schimmel C130 or Whil.Steinberg [Re: Mirik]
fj_s Offline

As usual, play both extensively, and buy the one you like the most. If you like both, buy the cheaper one. smile Else, the one that looks better in your room.

Both are excellent uprights by the way, and most people would not say one is better than the other per se. It's more a matter of taste.

As an aside, do consider the size of the room you are putting the piano in too. Remember it will sound louder at home than in the showroom.

#1319894 - 12/06/09 11:02 PM Re: Schimmel C130 or Whil.Steinberg [Re: fj_s]
Mirik Offline

Thanks, we decided on the Schimmel C130 over the Whil.Steinberg IQ28 as we find the former more melody(easier on the ear). Whil.Steinberg r alittle bright/loud but with clearer sound/ringing bells. Overall, both r very well/solid built. Price wise, Schimmel commands an extra 5k over W.Steinberg.

#1320009 - 12/07/09 02:25 AM Re: Schimmel C130 or Whil.Steinberg [Re: Mirik]
fj_s Offline

Congratulations! smile

BTW, I thought the W. Steinberg IQ28 was a little loud too, which is why I asked about the size of the room.

#1320024 - 12/07/09 03:06 AM Re: Schimmel C130 or Whil.Steinberg [Re: fj_s]
Jay Offline

Loc: AUD
you can always voice the piano down.

#1320052 - 12/07/09 04:18 AM Re: Schimmel C130 or Whil.Steinberg [Re: Jay]
fj_s Offline

Hi Jay,

If you voice the piano down, wouldn't you have to keep doing it say every half-yearly if you play it quite often? Voicing is expensive and difficult to do after all.

Just asking, as I'm deciding between voicing down my (30-year old) piano or buying a new one.

Page 81 of 90 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 89 90 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, Akshay, 50 invisible), 1465 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251020 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
11 minutes 49 seconds ago
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
18 minutes 52 seconds ago
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
27 minutes 15 seconds ago
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission