2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 187 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 186 187
Jazzwee, you only started playing piano 3 years ago? I can't believe it. Well if I can get that good within 3 years and be so jazz knowledgeable & playable I will be so happy!

Stagerson, welcome to the Learning party. This is LOTS of fun doing it together. We learn best learning from one another.

Rosa smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by stegerson:
I've been following along eager to participate. I finally got set up to record (MIDI for now) and got an account at box.

Rosa2007 and Swingin'Barb your stuff is sounding great!

I started with 1/7, 1/3 in the LH and the melody in the RH. I tried really hard to stay pure this first time but I have to admit little variations and riffs naturally want to sneak in. But I really wanted to practice the LH as a rock solid rhythm that jazzwe refers to.

Anyway here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/byagc3hgkg

It's late and I must sleep!
Hi Stegerson, welcome! As far as the melody goes, I've said this many times so I'm sure you'll reread this over and over. Look at the Note Phrasing Link on Page 1. Quarter Notes are played detached (non-legato).

On your LH, notice that when you stab the chord on the LH, the 3rd chord stab is off time. So read up on the Charleston discussions. I would first start with playing whole notes on the LH and ease into Charleston.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad to see others joining the fun here. Welcome all!!

jazzwee, your latest solo version is so very helpful. I played it over and over until I could sing the 'A' section. I transcribed it, played it into Band in a Box, printed it out and notated the accents. Got my fingers copying what you had done.
Played this over and over and over.....

Next step - try my own solo once again... 'A' section only this time. Have I gotten rid of that Mickey Mouse triplet feel that I had in my first solo attempt?

http://www.box.net/shared/jdojnsuwwo

As far as my playing goes, it's funny that I hear what I WANT to hear, and not necessarily what I am actually doing. That's why I post a lot. I need to know how I REALLY sound.

ps - stegerson - I had to laugh with your comment
"It's late and I must sleep!"

You can forget sleep - jazzwee has created a monster here. I fell into this bottomless pit and life seems to have changed. This stuff takes lots of time ... but time worth spent.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
D
D
Originally posted by jazzwee:
BTW - Thanks to Deeluk for fixing my MIDI file (backing track). There's so many people involved in this thread and everyone's helping to make everything a professional record.
No problem. Glad I could help. At least I'm doing something useful on this thread. I have every intention of posting my latest noodling attempts. I've got a decent backing track and I've been practicing with RH only improv. I'm having some technical difficulties at the moment converting the recording to something listenable. If worse comes to worse, I'll just post a MIDI file....

Anyway, keep up the good work everyone. Barb, your stuff is sounding great. Thanks so much for sharing. I thought the phrasing on your latest attempt sounded much better. We'll see what our mentors think. BTW, I hear 'ya on the metronome thing. Ticking on 2 and 4 really throws me for a loop too.

Originally posted by Swingin' Barb:

As far as my playing goes, it's funny that I hear what I WANT to hear, and not necessarily what I am actually doing. That's why I post a lot. I need to know how I REALLY sound.

ps - stegerson - I had to laugh with your comment
"It's late and I must sleep!"

You can forget sleep - jazzwee has created a monster here. I fell into this bottomless pit and life seems to have changed. This stuff takes lots of time ... but time worth spent.
SB,

SO true about what you think you played vs what you actually did! Now that I'm wired in, I look forward to the critiques.

Yes, sleep. I get off work at 10:30 so the BEST time to play, without kids, is from 11 pm to ??.

No, I'm not a student of music, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express with a piano bar last night.
What I play: Mostly a Kawai ES4, sometimes on the Steger & Sons.
Hi Stegerson, welcome! As far as the melody goes, I've said this many times so I'm sure you'll reread this over and over. Look at the Note Phrasing Link on Page 1. Quarter Notes are played detached (non-legato).

On your LH, notice that when you stab the chord on the LH, the 3rd chord stab is off time. So read up on the Charleston discussions. I would first start with playing whole notes on the LH and ease into Charleston. [/QB]
Jazzwee,

I know exactly what you mean with the RH, I'll work on it.

In my mind, I was doing a 1 and a +2 with my LH. I'll read some more.

No, I'm not a student of music, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express with a piano bar last night.
What I play: Mostly a Kawai ES4, sometimes on the Steger & Sons.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by stegerson:

from jazzwee: On your LH, notice that when you stab the chord on the LH, the 3rd chord stab is off time.

In my mind, I was doing a 1 and a +2 with my LH. I'll read some more.
stegerson - I think that 3rd chord stab jazzwee is referring to is really beat 1 of the next measure. That stab may be off just a hair....barely noticeable by us jazzer wannabees. wink

Of course, I may be way off base here. We'll just wait for our mentor to come on board.

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That sounded a lot better, Barb. thumb

As you develop, you will begin to hear better. Even now, listen to the phrasing I made. There's some subtlety there that I automatically do. Some notes are held longer than you think. There are little pauses, accents and such that are part of the swing feel. At the moment, you probably can't here tham. When you start hearing the little things, it will show up in your playing.

This is the same thing with time. As your ears notice when you're out of time (even a little), then your time improves.

A pro listening to my playing will have a lot to criticize too as I'm not yet hearing what they can hear.

So as a teacher makes you aware of what to listen to, that makes you improve. This is why it's helpful to post, regardless of how badly you think you're playing, because, you've got to learn to hear.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Tips on Creating a Solo

If you listen to my solos, you need to understand that it is completely improvised, warts and all. I have no idea what I'm going to play until I play it. That's taken in one pass.

It comes from hearing the melody in your head and not coming from fingers finding familiar patterns. It is harder to hear large intervallic jumps in one's head. So as an early exercise in this, stay close. Move stepwise, or no more than a 3rd first. Then attempt to memorize the sound of a perfect fifth. Lots of jazz movements of a perfect fifth going DOWN. Intervallic jumps of a full octave is pretty easy, and then move stepwise from there to recover yourself.

Here's another trick. Starting on a chord tone, move a half step away (up or down) then come back. Always come back. This anchors you back to the chord tone.

At the beginning stages, if you're going to make intervallic jumps, do it as arpeggios of the chord. This is always safe and Bill Evans did a lot of arpeggios.

Finally, anchor your moves to the 3rd of the chords. Remember the 3rd's exercise? You should have memorized those thirds in AL now. This will keep you in synch with the changes (which is really important).

All this is just to train the ear. And then hopefully you self generate your own melodies and the rules are set aside.

My Jazz Blog

Today I did the most fantastic thing and got myself a new toy -- METRONOME.

It was so educational.....I thought it would be so easy to just get one and tick tock tick tock...

Well, there were so many to choose.
Of course I didn't get a traditional one.

I got one that had a human voice that would count out loud for me PLUS even some crazy looking rhythm patterns to fool around. Oh this should be interesting and not boring.

Jazzwee is going to have a shock to hear that I have been playing piano for 20+ years for my church and never owned a metronome. You probably wonder where I learned my piano -- in the no man's land of the greatest school -- DIY method (Do It Yourself). LOL!!! So my music world never had to count.

I recorded the following Autumn Leaves with LH shell voicing and only whole measure hitting.

http://www.box.net/shared/9ic88f5gcc

Keeping my fingers crossed that I am on the right track......ready for Charleston?

Rosa

The new mentra: It is late and I must sleep.
Off to bed.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
OK Rosa, just a slight adjustment. The way you're playing the melody is slightly off on the first note. Start the 1st note an eight later. Your 3rd note is longer than the second note. They should be the same.

So the first melody 8th note should land on + of 2. Those who play the 1st note as a quarter note will start at beat 2 instead so changing the notes require moving the melody in the measure.

My Jazz Blog

Jazzwee, your feedback is very helpful.

I understand what you are saying. Today I did it again but I turned off the human voice counting in the metronome so less interference to my feeling through the groove of the RH swing.

See if this is better:

http://www.box.net/shared/zog6zay804

So that everyone knows, the recording is Lesson 3A LH shell voicing with LH whole measure.

Rosa

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That sounds pretty good Rosa!

Now this is an 'advanced' feedback. To improve on this, don't rush the melody so much. Lay back a little. There's a term for how you're playing in jazz, it's called 'pushing' the beat. I'm giving you advanced feedback because you've done the basics successfully so we want to give it more liveliness. So the idea is to drag the RH a little from the LH. This is very slight, it's like making the RH a little lazy laugh .

This advice is for everyone by the way, not just you. If you took the exact MIDI of my version of the melody, you will find I don't play it to the exact proportions of the measure.

This is something done in jazz OR in Classical Music! (I was just watching an instructional video in classical and it was talking about the same stuff, including accenting). So music is universal it appears.

I don't know how to explain this, you'll just have to listen closely to the way I play the melody to see if you detect a little dragging.

In most straight ahead jazz playing, pushing the beat is uncommon. Typically dragging the beat is stylistically appropriate. Ritincop referred to this earlier and as he says the delay is in milliseconds. As my playing got more relaxed, it just happened naturally. You develop the ability to stretch things a little.

This isn't going to come easy but keep it in the back of your head that a jazz groove is a relaxed thing. Imagine the piano player having a conversation as he plows through some nice lines in a very easy going manner.

Think of some singer that drags their melody a little.

My Jazz Blog

Jazzwee, your post is very interesting. I like 'advanced' feedback.

I am not sure which midi file you are referring to because so far I've only been listening to your mp3 -- AL simple swing melody -- to hear how you do the legato and the marcato.

Can you point me to which specific midi you are referring to?

Rosa

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Rosa, it's the Melody backing track MP3 on page 22 I believe. Before Lesson 10. I also posted it on Page 1 as AL Combo.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I just had to repost this again (since it is buried so far back). THIS IS WHY WE'RE DOING THIS THREAD. To get to 1% of this.

Keith Jarrett - Autumn Leaves (once again)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io1o1Hwpo8Y

Just listening to this again leaves me in awe. I don't think he repeated a melodic idea once.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To improve on this, don't rush the melody so much. Lay back a little.
This is very slight, it's like making the RH a little lazy laugh .

Think of some singer that drags their melody a little.
Anyone out there remember Perry Como or Dean Martin -- or are you all just too young?

ROSA - good job! When you mentioned that you had a talking metronome, I wondered if that would be a distraction for you. Glad it's working out now. smile

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Barb, I doubt if any of us on this thread is too young laugh

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good morning all,

Another day, another try.

jazzwee, I loaded all of your solo tips into my brain. As I was playing this, I incorporated as much as I could remember as I was speeding along at mm = 140.

http://www.box.net/shared/gwhm6lgg0s

I printed out the solo to see what I had played. I played a couple of 3rd jumps, 5th jumps, I went 1/2 step and back to the chord tone. I also tried to repeat an eighth note at an Em7 phrase ending (halfway into the piece.)

Looking at the Band in a Box printout, I see dotted half notes. I wish I held them down - they sound like eighth notes. Do you agree - it sounds too choppy?

Anyway, there is a lot to remember at one time.

I do feel an "after the fact" printout is most helpful at this point. What is your take on seeing the solo in print?

Thanking you in advance for much appreciated feedback.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good morning all,
Good grief - you can tell I lose track of time when I'm doing this stuff. I should have said "Good Afternoon" - it's 12:38 pm now in NC

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

Page 29 of 187 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission