Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1223332 - 06/26/09 09:03 PM replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof
Ragtimeyears Offline

Loc: New Jersey (Cape May area)
I have been attempting to get the voicing on my Weinbach squared away. My tech tuned it shortly after I took posession. A couple weeks later he did some light needling, steam application on a few choice hammers and some hammer shaping. The effort paid off for about a day and a half and the metalic overtones came back. A few weeks later he did some more voicing and it seemed to help but the next day, many keys took on a fairly dead response. I think the hammers may be dead. The piano is a 6'4", 2002 model that was in the southwest for the better part of its life. I am about ready to pull the trigger on new hammers. The best I (and my tech) can tell, the current hammers are Abel's. I am reluctant to go back to them so I am soliciting advise from anyone that may have an opinion regarding what type of hammers this type of piano would respond to. Petrof's are generally known to be very bright, and requiring a fair amount of voicing. Has anyone had any experience with hammer voicing or replacement on Petrofs or Weinbachs?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1223342 - 06/26/09 09:27 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Ragtimeyears]
David Jenson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Google Ari Isaac. I've had great results with his hammers on Young Changs of the same size.
-----

#1223367 - 06/26/09 10:39 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: David Jenson]
Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
This may be simplistic, but have you thought of asking the manufacturer or their representative what they would advise...
Am I understanding correctly that you will use the guy who didn't know how to voice your current hammers to install your new ones??
There are techniques for voicing a european hammer which require considerable skill and practice....
What is going on here?

#1223405 - 06/27/09 12:27 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
RALPH LYNCH Offline

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA, USA
Is there a special chemical or solvent sold for softening hammerheads that may have been overjuiced in manfacturing.
This can cause a metalic overtone. I read somewhere in the forum to use vodka, to brush the hammers. Is this so? or
will 100 proof alcohol work? Is there a homemade solution any one knows of.

Edited by RALPH LYNCH (06/27/09 12:30 AM)

#1223412 - 06/27/09 12:56 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: RALPH LYNCH]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Rubbing alcohol should work as well as vodka. The point is that it is a mixture of water and alcohol. However, the best chemical depends on what was used originally.

#1223498 - 06/27/09 09:54 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
Ragtimeyears Offline

I have attempted to go directly to Petrof but received no response. It occurs that they may have turned a page in their business and are not looking back.

The tech I ultimately use is not the issue right now.

My question was strictly a question about recommended hammers for the piano I descibed in my post. And if anyone had experience with the specific issue I asked about.

There is "nothing going on here". Just a question.

#1223500 - 06/27/09 09:56 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: David Jenson]
Ragtimeyears Offline

Thanks for the response David.

#1223548 - 06/27/09 12:27 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Ragtimeyears]
500 Post Club Member

The tech you ultimately use has a huge bearing on your satisfaction with the job in hand.
I find that most pianists get the technician they deserve.

#1223604 - 06/27/09 02:18 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
Ragtimeyears Offline

Thanks for your insights. I guess the trick with selecting a tech is not only that they know what they are doing but they have an ability to listen to what the customer is saying, or asking.

I have found my technician to be very good as listening to what I am trying to convey to him regarding the tonal issues. But even more important to me is that he doesn't seem to get off track at all. I.E., he seems to able to remain objective. I guess a good doctor, auto mechanic, counselor etc all have the ability to listen. I suppose it is true for good piano techs too. So again thanks for your perspective.

#1223711 - 06/27/09 06:40 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Ragtimeyears]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
I think your hesitation to use Abel's is unwarranted. Abel hammers are used by many top European piano makers. They have been very popular with many piano technicians and re builders. They are famous for being very voicable and consistent.

A skilled voicer should be able to make just about any set of decent hammers sound good. It sounds like the tech was unable to voice the hammers and left you with an unsatisfying result. This is not the hammers' fault. Steaming a German hammer is generally a very bad idea. The fact that this was the tech's first approach is a red flag.

I appreciate the fact that your tech is a good listener. But this is not a substitute for actually knowing what you're doing.

I would consult with Brooks Ltd. They have been importing and working with Abel hammers for decades and are an excellent resource. There are many options available with Abels.

The other hammer that seems to be all the rage right now is the Wurzen felt hammers from Ronsen. If you are looking for a warmer, mellower sound this may be a good option.

Putting a new set of hammers on is a big job. You will change the touch-weight characteristics of the piano, and the regulation as well. If it's done well it should easily cost $3000+.
www.pianova.net

#1223744 - 06/27/09 09:36 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: rysowers]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Before pulling the trigger on new hammers, call a good piano rebuilder and see if these hammers can be saved. Steaming "a few choice hammers" tells me your tech has no idea of how to voice. Nothing against him - voicing takes lots of experience. Too much steam will kill a hammer - and you steam a whole section, not a few here and there, and I'd try needling before steaming. If the hammers are indeed dead, there is a needling technique that can brighten them by restoring tension.

Weinbachs from that time period arrived at the stores very bright, especially in the high treble. I was able to needle them down, but it took a while.

#1223750 - 06/27/09 10:00 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: rysowers]
Ragtimeyears Offline

Ryan
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me why steaming a German hammer is a bad idea? Is there something unique about a German hammer that would prohibit this approach? Does it have to do with a density issue?

Have you had any experience with Petrof's, particularly voicing the Abel or any other hammer that Petrof may have used?

It occurs to me after reading some much on this and other forums that some pianos respond better (for various reasons), to specific hammers.

What I am trying to find out is if anyone out there has worked hammer related issues with the Petrof/Weinbachs. (my model in particular) so if I do elect to replace the hammers, I'll have some tangible evidence of what works and what doesn't.

Thanks again
JD

#1223754 - 06/27/09 10:29 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Ragtimeyears]
500 Post Club Member

This is a difficult subject (butting in again here)...
I don't think there is any particular hammer that has any particular tendencies that a GOOD technician cannot deal with....
Finding an appropriate hammer isn't really the question....
Your original hammers were appropriate...Petrof put them on because they were appropriate....why would they sell something that didn't work?
Many manufacturers place a burden on technicians to work on the instruments in the store and voice them to the environment in which a buyer/client lives.
. I personally love this idea and have made a good living out of being able to make a Steinway sing and go around corners really quickly.
Some reasons for inadequate abilities are....
Many technicians out there don't get the chance to practice what they read or learn at convention due to their own personal circumstances....and some tech/dealer relationships are wobbly at the best of times so no new pianos to play with....but I digress....

Certainly ask about replacement hammers and take the advice others have given here...I might even suggest having the hammers pre-voiced so that your tech doesn't have to do the deep shoulder needling that most european designed hammers need...

If you want to go into the designs of these hammers and why we do what we do, you might get more info than you know what to do with, You sound like you are bright and inquisitive...but there are professionals out there...there really are some good ones....who can voice ANY hammer in ANY direction to produce GREATresults.

Forgive the lecture here.....good luck....PM if you wish....

#1223760 - 06/27/09 10:53 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I suggest you wait a while before deciding what to do. Hammers can change quite a bit after voicing, particularly if they sound dull, and they may come back.

#1223789 - 06/28/09 12:17 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Ragtimeyears]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ragtimeyears
Ryan
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me why steaming a German hammer is a bad idea? Is there something unique about a German hammer that would prohibit this approach? Does it have to do with a density issue?

Have you had any experience with Petrof's, particularly voicing the Abel or any other hammer that Petrof may have used?

It occurs to me after reading some much on this and other forums that some pianos respond better (for various reasons), to specific hammers.

What I am trying to find out is if anyone out there has worked hammer related issues with the Petrof/Weinbachs. (my model in particular) so if I do elect to replace the hammers, I'll have some tangible evidence of what works and what doesn't.

Thanks again
JD

I have seen numerous cases of the felt becoming "pinched" at the crown. Quite a few years ago I worked on a Bosendorfer that had been steamed by a "master" technician. It really sounded subdued and was difficult to get beyond mezzo-forte. Not having much experience with this type of piano I hired Steve Brady (one of the best in the business) to come down and consult with me about it. It was he who recognized that the hammers had been steamed and commented "you should never steam a hammer like this!".

Since then, I have come across this from time to time. It can distort the felt, and it's difficult to control. I suppose its somewhat like using a Dremel tool to reshape hammers. I suppose it is possible to get reasonably good results, but it can surely be dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced.

I have limited experience with Weinbach's and Petrofs. But I have worked with Abels many times and they have been my hammer of choice when replacing hammers on older instruments. I have met the Abel brothers and seen their presentation on their manufacturing techniques. They are a great company with a lot of integrity. I highly recommend them.
www.pianova.net

#1223793 - 06/28/09 12:22 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: BDB]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
I suggest you wait a while before deciding what to do. Hammers can change quite a bit after voicing, particularly if they sound dull, and they may come back.

One thing you might try is to "pound in" the hammers. I often do this to check the stability of my voicing work. I mute out the strings with my left hand and then deliver 5 or 6 ffff blows to the keys. You might even try up to 10 blows. You could be surprised at how much brightness returns to the tone.

Also regarding steam: Steaming will often cause "cupping" of the felt and will tend to mess up hammer to string mating.
www.pianova.net

#1224404 - 06/29/09 11:03 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: BDB]
Ragtimeyears Offline

I think waiting and doing nothing is a pretty risk-free strategy. Each day the tonal qualities seem to fluctuate. Some of the dull or dead notes seem to gaining brightness. I did try muting the strings and hammering away pretty stongly. That may have been the catalyst to get them back in shape.

All good inputs from everyone. I do appreciate the recommendations.

JD

#1224659 - 06/29/09 06:34 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Bob]
Ragtimeyears Offline

Bob,
I used a poor choice of words when describing the steaming my tech did. He actually did about two and a half octaves total. He used the damp linen and just placed the heat on very, very briefly. I can live nicely with a bright piano, but it's the twangy overtones that are tough to deal with. When I play softly, this is almost not noticeable, but when any force is required it is pretty annoying. The needling, steaming and very light shaving seemed to get the piano in the ball park but it still has some way to go. My hope now is that with targeted needling I can get it to a point where it will be pleasing across the keyboard.

Thank you
JD

#1225521 - 07/01/09 10:04 AM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Ragtimeyears]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

About a month ago I had to voice a Petrof instrument with the original hammer set. I found that after the standard voicing procedure was completed, I had to abstract by cross stitching and some various crown stitching. This involved certain hammer groups in particular areas, (mostly the center) and removed the twangy after tones you have referred to…………

When I was leaving I mentioned to the owner that I thought it might need a further visit in about 6 weeks. She has already called and needs a return visit. Sometimes the initial voicing does not clear all the poor tones up. Often times after shaping and voicing, the technician needs to have the hammer set played a bit to discover where the heavy traffic areas are……
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1227012 - 07/04/09 01:29 PM Re: replacement hammers for Weinbach/Petrof [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Ragtimeyears Offline

Thanks Dan.
Appreciate the real world exprience feedback.
JD

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (Almaviva, ADWyatt, accordeur, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1186 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
47 minutes 10 seconds ago
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission